Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2014, 06:07 AM   #1
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Medical / Health Insurance

What insurance do you all use for Medical & Health Insurance. We have to start looking for coverage now that we are completely full timers. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Some additional info: I am not eligible yet for Medicare (to young 58) and wife is a bit older (and I'm not telling) but not enough yet either.

PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
There will probably be ALOT of answers for ya Scott, there is a lot of choices depends on your situation ,retired on Medicare(you look to young for that) what State,Income etc..... etc.... In Wa state we have the WA state Insurance finder website that makes it easy to pick the best one for you and Maybe Tenn has a similar Website,by the way I am a Fulltimer too and I use my Sisters Address for my "permanent" address, maybe you have a family member that you can do the same and also I chose a PPO so I can use tons of doctors and clinics wherever I go across the Country as opposed to a HMO where you HAVE to choose a doctor and clinic and get referals
Old 03-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
We use Medicare and Tricare is secondary.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We use Medicare and AARP.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Gave it more thought and if I was younger I'd look at a local exchange under Obama care if the state your in has one. Otherwise I'd get a national quote. Can't hurt.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Just a warning about the Obamacare deal-- Have two sister-in-laws that are on the Obamacare plan and they both have the same plan but one pays $200 a month and the other pays $50 a month. Don't know why but it varies and who knows why! Just a little notice to be sure you don't jump into something that may cost you more than you expect! I am on Medicare and my insurance I had through the Post Office as secondary. The reason we have that is because the DW is not old enough for Medicare yet so have to keep the other insurance plan too! It does make a difference however. With the knee replacement I have only had to pay about $500 so far and the bills have been over $40,000. Not bad at all, the way I figure. If I didn't have my other insurance plan I'd more than likely go along with Dick and go with AARP even though I do not agree with some of the organizations policies on some items.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If they have the same insurance carrier and the exact same plan then it probably has to do with their family/economic status. The gov gives a certain amount of credit (subsidizes but they don't like that word) to each person based on income, family size, single/married, etc. Those subsidies can be significant.
Personal health insurance if you are not yet 65 is extremely expensive. Since I retired at 62 (and DW is 2 yrs younger) we had to bite the bullet and fork over a significant sum each year for health care. Was like getting a big raise in income when I turned 65 and again when she did. We now have Medicare primary and BCBS/TX as our supplement (plan F) and pay very little out of pocket for care.
As mentioned, whatever you get make sure you get a PPO to avoid problems finding proper care when you need it. And one that will cover you where ever you may be if you full time and may be in any given state at any time.
If you seek obamacare, the healthcare.gov web site will ask you to select your state and county when you begin to look for plans. Don't know how that affects someone who does not have a S&B residence.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:30 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
BB Tx is right on with this statement "If they have the same insurance carrier and the exact same plan then it probably has to do with their family/economic status. The gov gives a certain amount of credit (subsidizes but they don't like that word) to each person based on income, family size, single/married, etc. Those subsidies can be significant" he has done the
homework.

To clear the confusion and miss leading information we actually applied did the application and spoke to some folks.

If we were eligible to purchase a plan our income would be to high for any kind of "subsidy.
thus we would pay " full price"

We are on Medicare with our employer provided BC/BS as secondary. They both meet the 10 essentials and the individual mandate.

You should go on the web site and go through the process and ask questions.. That is the only way to know what you may be eligible for.BB Tx post is the best iv,e seen on the subject.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:33 AM   #9
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
This is a very good topic, I am glad you asked your question! There are a lot of considerations that a person needs to make and I am in the middle of making them myself. We are going fulltime soon and giving up a job that has probably the best insurance I will ever have and its all paid for! Going to be a big change when we go fulltiming. I will seriously look at the ACA as an option. Maybe we can start a topic page on this to help others and me make informed decisions! Thanks all!
gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:06 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Another thing that significantly affects price is smoking. A smoker is penalized about $100/mo in premiums.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is far to much miss leading information on forums and by the media on the ACA subject. The only way is to make the application and do the homework. There also many insurance companies popping up that claim to be able to compete with the ACA.

Each individual will have to do their own homework and determine their own needs. We are very fortunate that we have the insurance plans we do have. They are not cheap and cost us over 5,500.00 per year but well worth it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:12 AM   #12
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Medical costs are so high I don't see how anybody or any insurance company can survive this system.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #13
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Thanks for the good info and suggestions. We are going to start looking this week at all our options.

I agree that this would make a great new topic page for everyone!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chip

Medical costs are so high I don't see how anybody or any insurance company can survive this system.
The numbers are really crazy. I had a cousin with no immediate surviving family members. So I became her caretaker and power of attorney after she began showing signs of dementia. Unfortunately eventually I had to move her to assisted living. After a fall and broken hip, she went back and forth from hospital to nursing home several times before passing away in the nursing home.
The health care bill were incredible. Fortunately she was retired civil service with lifetime free BCBS supplement to her medicare. The billing statements came with 3 sums, the total charge for services, the allowable charge for those services, and the amount paid for those services. For the 4 months she was hospitalized/nursing home the total charge was nearly $1 million. (that would be the charge for someone without insurance/medicare) The allowable charge was a fraction of that (the negotiated rate medicare/insurance would allow to be charged), something in the range of $200,000 if I remember correctly. But with medicare and BCBS she only had to pay a couple of thousand. And with that came very good care and treatment.

Insurance is very expensive, until you badly need it.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #15
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I do not know about Maine Chip but in WA state I pay 180 bucks a month for my Humana PPO WITH a preexisting condition and nobody would want me before, that is cheaper then it was when I was working , good deal for us and we are very happy with our Humana PPO so far, as far as Humana or any Insurance co "Making it" I think they will make it just fine
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chip

Old 03-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Since you will be paying for your insurance I will tell you what it cost my wife and me. Before I turned 65 our annual bill was a little over $22,000. After I turned 65 her monthly bill was $1100 and that was with a $2500 decutible for both of us. We were on the healthy Virginian plan. Health insurance is very expensive for those who haft to provide it for their selves.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #17
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Don't know if you are a veteran or not, but depending on your income you could qualify for VA assistance. There is a website where you can fill out some information and it will tell you.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #18
JacknBetsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7632
We checked into the ACA (Obamacare) website when we retired as we are both too young for Medicare (for a couple years anyway). We were pleasantly surprised to be offered over 30 different plans varying from $75-$900 a month depending on deductibles, maximums, etc. We picked a plan we could afford with a deductible we could manage. The application had very general questions and none about pre-existing conditions.
JacknBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #19
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
JacknBetsy: I checked out ACA also and was offered 72 plans from Free to $900 per month. We are thinking about trying one of them.

JandC: Yes I am a Veteran and I was planning on checking with the VA about getting my prescriptions from them. Do you know what that website is?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
do the Obama thing. depending on income you could be eligible for reduced costs or even Medicaid. it's all changed these days.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote