Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2014, 06:01 AM   #1
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Hold the presses........

Ok for those of you who followed my post about my new to me truck hunting gears in 6th and no power we have new developments. As you know the dealer told me it was my 2 sizes to big tires. But after I get my truck back the next day a CEL lights up????? Ok they musta set something wrong or forgot something when they were checking my truck. Also got a bad smell of exhaust in the cab???? Took it down and thinking I'm gonna be outa there in 20 minutes but no, he tells me it is a wiring issue and connector to a O2 sensor.... The good thing is there is a repair kit for it, the bad is it takes almost a day to repair????? Hmmmmm ok Yeah for my extended warranty. But now he calls yesterday, they got it fixed but still got CEL. Says they have been talking to Chrysler, crap that's not good lol lol, Says Chrysler says it is one of the CAT's. Bad thing is it costs $3000, good thing covered by warranty, whew!!!... Oh and I say one of them cause I guess on the 4th Gen Rams there are 3 of them.??? But they gotta get it outa Detroit, so truck won't be done till Fri. At least this is something I can get a grip on. My brain cells have been having a war in my head. I got one tribe of brain cells that say "Yeah it's the tires you gotta live with it till you get new ones, has to be that cause the mechanic says so".....Then there is another tribe of cells saying "No way dummie, you're losing too much power and those tires ain't that big, yes you will lose some but not the way it was handling" Then I got a small tribe of cells saying " Heck with it, sell this white elephant and buy a Ford" lol lol lol That revolt was quelled rather quickly lol lol I like this truck and if this is the problem I should have a well checked out low low mileage truck. Problem is todays mechanics don't listen to the owner. They only look at that computer screen and if the truck don't give them some numbers then they say there is not a problem. Oh well. hopefully after Fri. I have a good running truck with good lookin tires on it lol

steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #2
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Sounds like there is hope! The only problem with the warranty is having the work done at the dealer. Detroit has tied the mechanics hands. I've been around and around with them on issues with my Jeep. If you want a mechanic with the artistic ability and more importantly permission to actually solve a problem you need to hit the independent and pay for it. Too bad, it can leave a bad taste but I guess it can save us some bucks in trade.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
I'm sorry to here the night mare. IMHO, it needs to go to a Dodge dealer NOT Ford. The Dodge is a great truck. Who ever had it before you was the problem, not the truck. Somebody before you had a programmer on it and then started to have trouble and traded it in.

Unless the truck was used to tow all the time, a lot of soot builds up. Add a programmer into the mix and the truck is caked with soot all over unless it gets deleted.

You need to join the Turbo Diesel Register. It's a forum of Ram Cummins ONLY. Very knowledgeable people will answer your questions. Here is the link. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/forum.php

I'm sending you a PM with my phone number if you want to talk.

Scott

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Scott thanks, it is at the Dodge dealer but like I said unless it is throwing a code they automatically say it's fine. I checked for the truck being previously deleted but no signs of that and dealer said nothing about a programmer ever being on it. The guy lives in Austin Tx and that area is a LOT of stop and go traffic so I know it would have been hard on the truck. I do think he was having problems because he only put 1000 miles on it in the last year. I have pulled the MAP sensor and it was not too bad I have seen worse and most everything I can check was ok. I thought the veins in the turbo may have been sooted but figured after a couple hundred miles towing they should have cleaned up. They did run a lot of diagnostic tests and all came back normal... That is kinda why the one side of my brain was thinking the CAT but the other was believing the tech. The good thing is this dealer is suppose to have a pretty good diesel tech. If I do keep having problems it will definitely get deleted. We just did my sons 2011 a couple weeks ago and it's running very good now. It nice too because this dealership says they don't care if it is deleted they will try to work with the warranty if they feel it has nothing to do with the deletes. Svc mgr even said about getting a programmer for it so could fix the speedo with the bigger tires. But we are gonna wait till we see how this plays out and hope for the best....
Old 02-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Have the same year truck and continually had the same problem until the dealer told me it had to be run at highway speeds every now and then. This problem is why they changed in later years to using DEF.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Yeah, that is something my truck gets regularly. I live in small town so it is either towing the trailer or traveling at 70-75 mph. But I know the previous owner sat in traffic for long lengths of time because Austin traffic is terrible.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Whoops. My '12 with 2K miles on it turned the CEL on. TSB about the O2 sensors connectors. Changed them. A 1 hour deal. Lite still on. Changed the 2xO2 sensors. A 30 minute deal Now has been trouble free for 7K miles.

There are not 3 Cat's on them. Most likely is a couple of O2 sensors bad and a stopped up DPF. The emission warranty should cover that stuff, not your extended SERVICE CONTRACT.

Really hope you get this sorted out.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The only thing DEF does is reduce the NOx in the exhaust. It is sprayed into the exhaust and works with the CAT to clean the exhaust. The other component in the exhaust is the DPF, which traps diesel particulates, and is burned out occasionally by the injection of diesel into the exhaust stream. That is the cycle that produces the bad smell when the system goes into a regen cycle. If the system doesn't do the regen regularly, the DPF gets clogged and the result is a restricted exhaust. The onboard computer will force a regen if the truck isn't run at highway speeds when a regen is called for, and if it isn't performed, the truck will have to go to dealer to be cleaned out or the DPF will have to be replaced. A good site that has a FAQ on DEF is http://www.discoverdef.com/def-overview/faq/ A Wikipedia on DPF is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Yeah the service writer told me 3 but I looked and there are only 2. I did question the all day repair of the connector and wiring and was told it was very labor intensive??? Don't think it's the DPF but do believe it is the CAT. When the CEL came on I got exhaust fumes in the cab. That also explains the loss of power, which would cause it to gear hunt in the upper gears. Yeah I like the emissions warranty covering it since there's no $100 deductible lol lol....
Old 02-17-2014, 02:59 AM   #10
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Lots of info here.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...n-Ram-Forum&s=

Let us know what happens. Jim
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 AM   #11
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Thanks, I am already on those forums and one other. My son has been into diesels for a while now. He used to do sled pulls on the East coast so we have done a lot of work on his. We just deleted his new to him 2011 truck a couple weeks ago. He's probably gonna get back into pulling down here in the near future. Keeps buggin me to delete mine but I would rather have the extended warranty for when we travel. We are lucky because the Dodge dealer here will work on deleted trucks under warranty as long as it is not the fault of anything you did to the truck, like run the tuner on 100 hp and blow the tranny lol lol.... But then we live in the land of diesel trucks here and most are modified. Can't say that when we travel to like the northeast.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #12
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I had a power loss on mine and it wound up being a sooted up turbo. It was cleaned and serviced by the Dodge dealer under warranty. As far as operating the truck at hiway speeds... unnecessary! What is needed is heat, not speed to initiate a successful regen. Simply keep the truck in a lower gear to keep the rpms up... you don't need to go fast.
I was also told by the diesel mechanic to use a cetane additive at every fillup. I followed those instructions and have plenty of power with no further issues. BTW, my truck is bone stock and I pull a 15k rig.
Hope you find a good solution to your truck issue.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote