Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Rv'ing in New Zealand?

We'd love to rent a RV down under. We're looking for information about what rental company to go with (too bad we can't take our Montana) and any other useful information.

ranch560 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We used KEA and were happy with them. Their rates are cheaper the longer you rent. We rented for a month in NZ and they let us use that month to get a discounted rate in Australia
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I think you drive on the left down there, right? If so, was it much of a problem?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Made a sign for the dash "KEEP LEFT"
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Farmhawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9080
There are a number of reputable rental outfits, Maui, Britz and Jucy come to mind. We were planning on renting for a month but figured it was cheaper to rent a car and have motel rooms every night. The down side of the Camper Vans, IMO, is that they are larger than the normal cars and trucks down there, where the roads are narrower and parking spaces more cramped. You will rarely see a full size pickup there, I think I counted three in the month we were there on both islands. I don't want to discourage you from renting one because they are very popular.
Farmhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:21 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We had a small class C in NZ. I didn't find the size to be much of an issue on the roads and the travel parks we stayed in were roomy enough. The vans and motorhomes had a very small bathroom and the toilet had a removable tank to carry over to the dump station. The travel parks cater to backpackers and have large kitchens complete with pots, pans, communal fridge, etc. and large unheated shower rooms. Driving on the left took a little getting used to and every once in a while you find yourself on the wrong side after a turn.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote