Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #41
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

All 250/2500 trucks are SRW.
Yeah, I was redundant redundant (joke) because every time I say "F350" people think I mean a dually. So this time I made a point of saying SRW 250 and SRW 350 so there would be absolutely no confusion on which models I meant...

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #42
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Got to admit that I asked for more that what I got, but quite a few responses were very constructive. The 6.0 I bought has been great thus far save for having to replace the alternator (1 hour total of my labor, $125 replacement at 32k miles). I can see a coolant flush and filter coming soon and an oil cooler refit as well. If this is the worst of it, I'm still way, way ahead of any other US truck I've owned.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #43
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

Got to admit that I asked for more that what I got, but quite a few responses were very constructive. The 6.0 I bought has been great thus far save for having to replace the alternator (1 hour total of my labor, $125 replacement at 32k miles). I can see a coolant flush and filter coming soon and an oil cooler refit as well. If this is the worst of it, I'm still way, way ahead of any other US truck I've owned.
Read your private messages...there is a clickable link on the top right of each page.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #44
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I have one.
You now have one so all the carping isn;t helping you. You want to know how to make it live.

I'm not going to read the entire thread so maybe this has already been suggested. Get and install a coolant filter immediately if not before. I cobbled one together myself several years ago. No, I can't say that because I did that I won't have trouble but one of the biggest problems was dirty coolant related clogging up the oil and egr coolers which then starved the engine of oil.
Not all the 6.0's had a dirty system but there is also no way to know which engine had the problems. The trick is to install the filter and catch whatever is there. Some guys would find the filter element loaded at oil change time, some would find very little. After two or three changeouts most would find the filters were not catching much.

The suggestion is with the new filter is change the element at about 500 miles and then at the next oil change. You can also check if the filter is plugging ONCE THE ENGINE IS UP TO TEMP. If the filter is clogging , although it may be warm, it won't be hot. If it is still flowing oil then it will be hot. If is feels cool then change it.

Yes the head bolts and aftermarket coolers will help but you be able to help it out a lot without going to extremes.

So far six years, 120,000Km or about 75,000 miles. The oil gets changed at 3000 miles, the coolant every three yrs, trans oil and rear axle every yr. Maybe I baby it but I also don't run it over 20-22PSI boost except for the odd spike when I don't react quickly enough. So far good service. Maybe other trucks will do better but it is what I have and when it dies we are out so work with it since you now have it.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #45
tbreeding

M.O.C. #13786
the best about the 2006 6.0 that i had was the fact that i no longer have it, nothing but problems from the get go when i bought new, the next best thing is that i traded for an 09 ram 3500 with 23k miles, great truck handles my 3650rk very well
tbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #46
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
A few months ago, I purchased a 2006 Dually, 68,000 miles, 6.0 and purchased an extended warrantee with a $250 deductible. Good thing I did, because it has been in the shop a number of times. I had to replace the air conditioner compressor, I had to have the Turbo removed and cleaned out. The oil cooler had to be replaced because it was clogged. While they had to replace the oil cooler, the Ford removed the EGR and tested it. The EGR was fine.

I was told that the Ford 6.0 was cast using sand. They had difficulty getting the sand out of the block so it would eventually clog the oil cooler. The oil cooler also kept the EGR cooled, and if it got too hot, the EGR would fail, leading to failure of the head gaskets.

I have now added a water cooling filter (dieselsite.com $129) to removed the sand and other impurities that would clog the oil cooler. On another note, it is extremely important you not only change your oil, but you should also change out your coolant fluid on a regular basis. Our Ford dealer recommends 30,000 miles.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:25 AM   #47
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
One key to the 6.0 is maintaining clean oil. When I bought it, Ford stressed clean oil clean oil. Oil cooler issues often, but not always, are tied to dirty oil. I put 140K towing on my 6.0 and never has a single issue, except a couple of software updates. Guess I was luckier than some, but I changed the oil/filter myself every 2000 miles. Overkill and a waste of money perhaps, but my 6.0 ran trouble free. Problems with the 6.0 certainly caused Ford to lose market share on diesel trucks to GMC's duramax.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #48
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Thank you leemedic! What you wrote makes complete sense and I had the cooling system flushed the next day (at 31.5k miles). I'm not interested in tuning the thing, getting rid of the EGR system or rebuilding the oil cooler unless I needed to, and I could never get why anyone would want to add a coolant filter. Getting rid of sand that could clog up the cooler & EGR, and cause all kinds of other grief is a good reason though. That will come next for certain.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:25 AM   #49
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

Thank you leemedic! What you wrote makes complete sense and I had the cooling system flushed the next day (at 31.5k miles). I'm not interested in tuning the thing, getting rid of the EGR system or rebuilding the oil cooler unless I needed to, and I could never get why anyone would want to add a coolant filter. Getting rid of sand that could clog up the cooler & EGR, and cause all kinds of other grief is a good reason though. That will come next for certain.
Check out these photos.

http://www.dieselsite.com/2003-20076...waterpump.aspx
Old 09-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #50
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Send a message via MSN to Golferdave
Hi Guys:

Just to jump into the conversation with my own opinion. I have a 2005 F350 with the 6.0. I use to believe that Ford would do the best for me if I used their services exclusively. Well Ford has put in 3 EGR valves and oil coolers, 4 injectors, head gaskets and other repairs over the first 200,000 miles. Then it came to me. If you keep doing the same thing you will always get the same result. That sums up my opinion of Ford. Every time I had a problem with the cooling system they flushed the system and replaced the EGR and oil cooler. And I continued to overheat. So I went to Bullet Proof Diesel in Mesa Arizona. They had the truck for 2 days. Replaced EGR, installed much more efficient and larger cooling system, replaced water pump, re flashed engine ( whatever that is ) adjusted turbo. In other words made the 6.0 a much more reliable engine. That was 100,000 miles ago. No problems since. Engine stays cool even hauling thru the Canadian Rockies from our summer home in Alberta to our winter home in Mesa, Arizona.
My present rig is a 2013 Montana 3800RE 15,880 LB. Our previous rig was a 2004 Carriage Cameo LXi 16,230 LB.
I am a happy camper and the truck is running super with 300,000 miles on it. Hope to run it to at least 500,000 mile.

Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #51
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leemedic

A few months ago, I purchased a 2006 Dually, 68,000 miles, 6.0 and purchased an extended warrantee with a $250 deductible. Good thing I did, because it has been in the shop a number of times. I had to replace the air conditioner compressor, I had to have the Turbo removed and cleaned out. The oil cooler had to be replaced because it was clogged. While they had to replace the oil cooler, the Ford removed the EGR and tested it. The EGR was fine.

I was told that the Ford 6.0 was cast using sand. They had difficulty getting the sand out of the block so it would eventually clog the oil cooler. The oil cooler also kept the EGR cooled, and if it got too hot, the EGR would fail, leading to failure of the head gaskets.

I have now added a water cooling filter (dieselsite.com $129) to removed the sand and other impurities that would clog the oil cooler. On another note, it is extremely important you not only change your oil, but you should also change out your coolant fluid on a regular basis. Our Ford dealer recommends 30,000 miles.
Well my 6.0 is back in the shop. The EGR cooler failed. Looks like Bulletproofing is in the near future. Just glad we have an extended warrantee. Oil cooler replaced 830 miles ago.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #52
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:
Well my 6.0 is back in the shop. The EGR cooler failed. Looks like Bulletproofing is in the near future. Just glad we have an extended warrantee. Oil cooler replaced 830 miles ago.
Sorry to hear about your truck leemedic. I hope they get you back up and running quickly.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #53
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Send a message via MSN to Golferdave
Hey Guys:
Just reporting on my previous 2005 6.0L F350 saga. Got fed up with that engine and traded for a 2011 6.7L F350. The 2005 is history
and will not be missed. Headed thru HWY 3, the Crowsnest Pass, this fall on our way to Arizona from Alberta. Should be a great test
hauling thru the mountains without worry. Then in to Northern CA. and over to Utah.
Happy trails to all.
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #54
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You will be pleasantly surprised at how much power the 6.7 has. I had an '07 6.0 that I had no problems with and thought it had lots of power. Traded only because I loved the look of the new ones. And was amazed at how much better it pulled the mountain passes than the 6.0.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #55
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Our 6.7 is great. We had no complaints with our 2005 6.0. Ran without issue til we traded for the 6.7.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote