Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Ozz started it now I have a question

Ozz started a topic which brought a lot of responses from the
membership in which he was given a ticket for following his home
state's m/v regulations which were not the same in the state he was pulled over in. My question is: Do you ever wonder why some of these laws are actually passed by the lawmakers of these states? (Examples:
no plate on front,no plate on back, no experation date on marker plate etc) I have my own opinion on this but I would love to hear yours.

Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Sky,

With out turning this into a political free for all, I believe the general problem with any of these laws that are passed within each state is that the law makers actually considering and passing them don't even know what, why or what is in them and why they are voting on half of these laws. Most if not all of the time their staffers are approached by special interest groups with a particular agenda and the thru negotiations with other law makers staffers these bills are crafted and then passed. Rememeber when the Alternative Care Act was being considered and the powers to be said just pass it and we will read it later. Well sad to say but this probabaly happens all to often. That's my 2 cents.

Les
Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Many variables. Florida has no front plates to save money (interestingly enough you will get a ticket at Maderia Beach FL if you back in to a parking site at city lots because plates must be visible). Some states have permanent tags, example VA, for Fifthwheels/trailers. Two retired lawyers in our park here are emphatic that as long as you are in compliance with the laws of the state your vehicle is registered/licensed in, any citation from another state for their conformance requirements is illegal and BS.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have no experience in these areas but I do not believe that law makers pass laws because they have nothing else beter to do. IMO I think there is legitimate reason for passing these motor vehicle laws.This is Ohio

"We Found:
The Ohio Department of Public Safety and Ohio State Highway Patrol support the two-license plate requirement because of three major considerations:
1) Public Safety
: The front license plate is the only highly reflective item on the front of a motor vehicle. At night, this feature allows drivers to spot oncoming left-of-center vehicles with one headlight out or both headlights not lit (drunk drivers occasionally fail to turn on their headlights). It also allows motorists to spot vehicles at night which have become disabled on the road due to a crash or mechanical failure.
2) Crime Prevention/ Criminal Apprehension
: From school bus drivers who observe the front license plate of oncoming motor vehicles which pass their stopped school bus to neighborhood block watch groups which rely upon both front and rear license plates to report suspicious vehicles, the front license plate is both a crime deterrent and tool to apprehend.
3) Law Enforcement Investigatory Tool
: When investigating hit/skip crashes, law enforcement officers rely upon eyewitness accounts and physical evidence to track down drivers who damage property, injure, and sometimes kill with a complete lack of social responsibility. The front license plate is sometimes the only lead officers possess. There are countless cases of major crimes which were solved because of a front license plate violation (In 2001, Ohio troopers were able to capture a van stolen by two teenagers after their initial traffic stop for no front license plate). The front license plate proves critical as a law enforcement tool in daily auto larceny investigation, DUI enforcement, and even bank robbery and homicide investigations.

Currently, 31 states have both a front and a rear license plate requirement and two states (Connecticut and Massachusetts) have recently returned to using two license plates. Because license plates are cut from large sheets of metal, labor costs are not significantly less for producing one plate instead of two. One cost which may rise however are insurance deductibles which will be paid by innocent motorists who are involved in hit/skip crashes which can no longer be solved without a front license plate.

It is the state law. The BMV does not make this decision. The only exempt vehicles from a front tag are dealer tags, motorcycles, and semi trucks. Most of the time, if you take your “newer” vehicles to the dealer, they will mount the front plates on for you.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:41 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
During my working life I served on a couple of committees whose function was to create and maintain national standards regarding safety in a certain industry. With 15 to 20 members sitting around a table trying to decide how a specific requirement should be met, there would be 15 to 20 different ideas on what the requirement should be. Rarely was there ever a full consensus on the final wording. But finally at least a majority vote. Many times swayed by who could present the most eloquent presentation of their opinion. Just the way it works.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #6
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
I live in Arkansas (moved here from Missouri) and we have permanent trailer plates (I like that) and only one plate for the back of the truck or auto. I like that too cuz it gives me a place for my STL Cardinals plate on the front. I'd like to try and figure out why they do it this way but it makes my head hurt, especially since I just finished my taxes yesterday. All I know is that the lady at the license branch has it in for me and ALWAYS seems to find a reason why I have to go back for some other piece of information.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:26 AM   #7
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Wow! This is a first for me. - I actually agree with everything said by everyone so far. Of cours with my background as a LEO I want the officer safety factor and investigation tools to be the most important. Ct.has done away with the exp.date on the registration plate and has removed the sticker that advises when the vehicle is due for inspection, Both of these stickers can inform the officer if the vehicle is registered or not. I can not help but think that some high elected or appointed offical in state gov't. was pulled over and given a ticket for an unregistered vehicle because of one of those stickers. Needless to say he pushed to have the law changed. Here again this is just my humble opinion, but deep down inside of me I know I'm right.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Interestingly, in light of this discussion, a state lawmaker here in Texas has just introduced a bill that would replace our current requirement for two license plates with a new requirement for only one (back) license plate. He claims an astonishing savings for the state. Our metal plates remain in place and now we only add a windshield registration sticker each year.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Having spent a good deal of time in local government it's my opinion that most state legislators pass anything that might get them reelected and if the bill looks like it isn't controversial than they will pass it just to get it off their plate. In Kansas legislators get a better retirement than almost any state worker (regardless of time served) after only ten years in the legislature so their motivation is just to stay in office for ten years. This means that one persons odd idea only has to make it thru committee to get passed, if it doesn't involve taxes or schools. They kind of take the idea "if it's a pain in the ass then we can campaign on removing it and fix it next session".
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
As I heard on a call in show recently..."we are better off when the legislature is not in session, thay way they can't do anything stupid."
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When the Montana is in back of the truck the rear plate can not be seen.Yes the Montana plate can be seen but it is a different plate number.As the Ohio law quote outlined I do see the justification for a front plate..having said that there is a bill before the State legislature for a one plate requirement. Let us see how that plays out. I personally do not care how many plates.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I'm waiting for the first state to also require plates on either side of the vehicle, then one can get virtually 360 degree plate visibility and require that each position be lighted, too. This would help identify the car as it is targetted for a T-bone accident.

If flying cars ever become prevalent then one under the car and over the car can be added. I can hardly wait when us horrible drivers can now add a third dimension for accidents. We have enough trouble with just two dimensions so far, so with three, the creativity will be astounding. Then governments can save money by combining the FAA with the DMV. When that happens I'm parking the RV and staying in it and going nowhere.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

...I'm waiting for the first state to also require plates on either side of the vehicle, then one can get virtually 360 degree plate visibility and require that each position be lighted, too. This would help identify the car as it is targetted for a T-bone accident...
But the most important reason is that it would generate more revenue for the state when they charge $20 for each side license plate.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
An RFID (Radio frequency Identification)is going to be in all our futures. The LEO will cruise within RFID range and the computer will run your unit ID(plates) and inform the officer of possible infractions. However, all is not lost, the metal plates will still be around for use in Goodyear, AZ.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Recumbent

An RFID (Radio frequency Identification)is going to be in all our futures. The LEO will cruise within RFID range and the computer will run your unit ID(plates) and inform the officer of possible infractions. However, all is not lost, the metal plates will still be around for use in Goodyear, AZ.

Have you seen the cameras/computers that check your plates while the patrol car is moving down a street/parking lot?
I bet the plates will all be 2-to a vehicle to work with that system Sky.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #16
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
No doubt about it Ozz, two plates will be needed. I'm all in favor of two plates, it makes the LEO's job a lot easier, it's the judgement of the people who make
the laws that I question (and for some reason I always wonder if there is a personal underlying reason for the attempted change in the law by the person presenting
that change). By the way tow trucks in a large city in Ct use the RFID looking for cars/owners with outstanding parking tickets...they spot one, the hook it. Only
problem once in awhile the wrong car gets towed. The RFID is having problems distinguishing between certin letters and numbers.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #17
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge
Then governments can save money by combining the FAA with the DMV.
Maybe when pigs can fly
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #18
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
I'm surprised that the Feds haven't tried to do that yet. If that was the case - Your license would be Federal, your plates would be Federal, The Feds now control every thing you do with driving and would dictate where you can drive, how and when you would drive, If you go through a red light the F.B.I. would do the investigation (you city/town/state cops know what that means)and you then become a wanted fugitive by the F.B.I. I can just see the headlines now "90 year old grandma drives into the rear end of car stopped in front of her. F.B.I. charges grandma with the newest Federal MV Law "Failure to Apply the Brakes Beforehand" and "Texting (her live in boyfriend) While Driving. Grandma placed on $10,000 bond because she may flee the country.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:54 AM   #19
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
State legislators sometime include as lawmakers former LEO's. They often serve on state legislator committees that deal with such issues as plates. There is no doubt lack of consistency from state to state. I favor state over Fed though.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have a Federal license...A CDL.I have never seen a FBI agent.