Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Red light violations in Goodyear $550.00 +

A camp worker here went into an intersection on Yellow, her rear tire crossed the line at the other side when the light turned Red, she got a $196.00 ticket (Red light camera) and then had to go to a day-long 'Traffic survival school' at her expense.
The total cost to her was $550.00.
If she hadn't had her correct registration with her, it wold have been another ticket of $591.00.
Welcome to Goodyear....

BTW, I called the Arizona Highway Patrol and asked about my ticket for no rear plate. The officer said "That is ridiculous!"
He said go to court and the Judge will dismiss the ticket.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Starting to sound like it is a pretty good year in Goodyear. In terms of revenue for the town anyway!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Lots of people fail to understand that a yellow light does not mean "hurry up because the light's going to turn red". It means the red light is coming, so prepare to stop. The rest of the charges and the school are crap, but in reality, the ticket itself is justified.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I agree with Tom, I do like the way the lights are in Canada, there is a amber light about 1/4 mile from the light and when that starts to flash you better start braking regardless how fast you are going, because it will be red when you reach the intersection. they need those warning devices in the U.S.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Sounds like Goodyear has the wrath of Ozz on high alert. Having lived in Albuquerque for 11 years, there, if you even think about stopping on yellow, sooner that later you will get rear ended.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
There are areas that have seen an increase in Rear end collisions because of the Red Light cameras. Some don't want to get a ticket, so they hit the brakes when the light starts to change, but those behind don't always stop or are too close.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Is that the Goodyear where Marathon tires are made?
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Flymutt

Is that the Goodyear where Marathon tires are made?

You are a Hoot!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Lots of people fail to understand that a yellow light does not mean "hurry up because the light's going to turn red". It means the red light is coming, so prepare to stop. The rest of the charges and the school are crap, but in reality, the ticket itself is justified.
Actually, she was held back by cars in front of her moving slowly. (already in the intersection)
I know what you mean Tom about people zooming through an intersection, but in this case, she was in traffic.
The 'Robots' don't take this into consideration.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Also, if the pedestrian lamps were all changed to timers, indicating the number of seconds left, it would be a help. Here in Florida, there is a mix and when there isn't a timer, I always wonder if I'm gonna make it or not.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
The traffic light cameras were just removed from Red Bank, TN because they were bad for the small businesses. Buyers were taking their business elsewhere.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
The George Orwell book 1984 pointed out what we are now beginning to experience. As I remember reading the characters were out in a rural area and they had to be very careful when talking privately so as not to be overheard by big brother. These cameras are handy tools for the big fish in small communities. I wonder how the audit process works since it would be so easy to not mail a ticket to certain locals or the powerful.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I go to Mexicalli, Mexico, every year and the green light starts to flash and the yellow only last seconds, don't even think about going through under a yellow.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We used to stop in Goodyear for a number of reasons last year. If I'm out that way in the future I'll just stay on the interstate. Neither the cops or the merchants are going to get anymore of my money.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
Don't want to start an argument here, but after retiring from the Wichita Police Dept. and then retiring a second time from the Missouri Safety Center, the State's center for training in all things related to Highway Safety, the standard for running a red light, according to US Dept. of Transportation/Federal Highway Administration is that running a red light is entering an intersection on "Red". There are some qualifiers;

•Question: What is red-light Running?
•Answer: Depends on the definition of what a yellow light means.
•The permissive yellow rule is that stated in the MUTCD and Uniform Vehicle Code (UVC).
•37 states + DC have laws in substantial conformity with the meaning of the yellow and red indications in the MUTCD and UVC. Another 9 states require motorists to stop on yellow but also drive cautiously through the intersection on the red if too close to stop safely.
•The definition of a violation for permissive yellow is not technically correct depending how the term "intersection" is defined. According to the MUTCD and UVC, a violation occurs if the motorists crosses the stop line after onset of the red, or if none, the crosswalk, or if none the intersection.
•Four states—LA, TN, RI, WV—prohibit vehicles from crossing the intersection on red. The laws in these four states are not in conformity with the meaning of the yellow and red indications specified in the MUTCD.

MUTCD=Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices

So 4 states disregard the federal definition of Run Red Light and have come up with their own. AZ is not one of those states.

Here in KC there was a big flap because the Red Light Camera at one intersection was sending out several hundred tickets a day. Turns out they were taking pictures of cars turning right on red after a stop and traffic clears which is legal in MO and Kansas City. I am not saying people don't gun it to beat the red light, see it all the time here, but just because someone is caught in the intersection means they deserve a ticket is a little harsh in my opinion. This comes from one who dedicated their entire adult life combating human stupidity.
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #16
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
First ticket I ever got here in Texas when I was 16 was running a yellow light......course dropping a gear and hammering my 66 Chevelle thru it didn't help my case lol lol....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #17
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We don’t have any cameras in our area but one should be very careful of when a light changes anyway. Not because of getting a ticket but because of stragglers. I don’t know how it is in others areas but once the light changes there are usually a string a cars that will tag along behind others after the light changes to red. I’ve noticed this problem more and more especially when traffic is heavier. I’ve seen as many as 2-3 cars blatantly continue through the lights when you know there was adequate time to stop. Although I don’t want to see them around, maybe our area needs the cameras to keep people in check!
Old 03-02-2013, 03:04 AM   #18
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
When I am stopped at a red light waiting for the green...when it turns green, I treat it as if I'm at a stop sign. Look both ways and proceed with caution...way too many people run through lights, late.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:11 AM   #19
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Neil.M

Don't want to start an argument here, but after retiring from the Wichita Police Dept. and then retiring a second time from the Missouri Safety Center, the State's center for training in all things related to Highway Safety, the standard for running a red light, according to US Dept. of Transportation/Federal Highway Administration is that running a red light is entering an intersection on "Red". There are some qualifiers;

•Question: What is red-light Running?
•Answer: Depends on the definition of what a yellow light means.
•The permissive yellow rule is that stated in the MUTCD and Uniform Vehicle Code (UVC).
•37 states + DC have laws in substantial conformity with the meaning of the yellow and red indications in the MUTCD and UVC. Another 9 states require motorists to stop on yellow but also drive cautiously through the intersection on the red if too close to stop safely.
•The definition of a violation for permissive yellow is not technically correct depending how the term "intersection" is defined. According to the MUTCD and UVC, a violation occurs if the motorists crosses the stop line after onset of the red, or if none, the crosswalk, or if none the intersection.
•Four states—LA, TN, RI, WV—prohibit vehicles from crossing the intersection on red. The laws in these four states are not in conformity with the meaning of the yellow and red indications specified in the MUTCD.

MUTCD=Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices

So 4 states disregard the federal definition of Run Red Light and have come up with their own. AZ is not one of those states.

Here in KC there was a big flap because the Red Light Camera at one intersection was sending out several hundred tickets a day. Turns out they were taking pictures of cars turning right on red after a stop and traffic clears which is legal in MO and Kansas City. I am not saying people don't gun it to beat the red light, see it all the time here, but just because someone is caught in the intersection means they deserve a ticket is a little harsh in my opinion. This comes from one who dedicated their entire adult life combating human stupidity.
Based on Ozz's previous experience we already know how the city of Goodyear looks at earning revenue from motorists.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #20
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
In my opinion the cameras are not for safety, they are for revenue!!! If they wanted to prevent more accidents they would have sensors in the pavement that would not let the light change if there was a car that was too close to stop before the light changes!!! I realize that in heavy traffic the light would have to still have a timer but the interval from yellow to red could be programmed to take that into acct!!! The same goes for drunk driving, catch them make them pay but let them keep driving??? WTH I say walk your A - - wherever you need to go!!! Sorry if I offended anyone.
gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote