Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2008, 04:34 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Dropped monty off hitch NO DAMAGE

Installed Trailair pin on Monty today. After hooking up and adjusting the air bag. I decided to pull the TV out and slowly moved forward. Monty went down and downand downthen settled on the landing legs which were just a half inch off the ground.
No damage the underbelly of Monty did not touch the bed rail.
Installed BED SAVER immediately after that, tested it and it works better then landing legs. All is good.
As stated before when you do things out of sync or get interrupted when doing your routine (set up or tear down) you can forget something and make the mistake.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:57 AM   #2
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
John - glad you didn't have damage. We feel safe with our bedsaver.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Glad everything was ok. I really like having the bed saver even though I hope that I never need it. It gives me a better feeling even going down the road just knowing that it's there to catch the Monty if something should go wrong.

When I bought my bed saver I was asking who was buying them and they indicated those who have had a problem. Although my incident some time back was minor I wish that I would have already had it installed at that time.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:23 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

As stated before when you do things out of sync or get interrupted when doing your routine (set up or tear down) you can forget something and make the mistake.
Glad to hear that you lucked out, good to hear that someone was lucky for a change!

We usually start the routine over after being interrupted, takes more time, but lessens the possibility for mistakes.

Thanks for the reminder, we are doing it right!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is a stimulating discussion going on over on RV net about the bedsaver. There are a bunch of folks over there who are perfect and can not make a mistake and see no need for something as silly as a bedsaver.I got raked over pretty good for suggesting that a person could make a mistake..not so on Rv net.. We are just ordinary mortals over here.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Use that check list. The military teaches aviators that if you get interupted while using it...go back and start over.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
glad to hear it all worked out. even with bed saver check all things twice. hopefully you'll never use the bed saver.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

There is a stimulating discussion going on over on RV net about the bedsaver. There are a bunch of folks over there who are perfect and can not make a mistake and see no need for something as silly as a bedsaver.I got raked over pretty good for suggesting that a person could make a mistake..not so on Rv net.. We are just ordinary mortals over here.
Rich I enjoy reading on that forum but I haven't posted there for a long time. I'm glad the people on this forum are not that way. That is one of the reasons I like this forum so well.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
John,
So glad you had no damage! As we all know, an "Oh sh__ moment." Bedsaver is now installed and you'll never need it again, but enjoy knowing that it's there. Hope we can make contact when you stop in MD?!!! Best wishes,
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I sure wish I could get a bedsaver.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #11
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Ok, I understand a bed saver is to prevent damage to your TV, but for this dummy, what is a bed saver? How does it work? Where do you buy one? Anyone with a picture. So for I am one that doesn't need one, but I am afraid my day will come.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Grandpa, go to www.blueox.com and see for yourself. I highly recommend it...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
Knock it off! You have Cathy as your bed saver!

You didn't think anyone would catch that did you?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #14
up2nogood
Established Member

M.O.C. #8293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

This may be hard for you to believe, it is very easy for me to hookup correctly everytime, as with many many others. That does not make us perfect that just makes us people that pay attention to what we are doing. I have been towing nearly forty years. I find it no more difficult today then 40 years ago to hitch correctly. I will tell you what is difficult for me is understanding someone NOT making sure they hitch properly when they are dealing with thousands of pounds behind them. What in the world could be more important than that at that moment ???????????? This may sound more harsh then I intend, but there comes a time when the old excuse we make mistakes just doesn't cut it for this subject.
up2nogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:37 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is difficult for many to understand how a person can not make a mistake.

"Mistake"

1. an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgment caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge, etc.
2. a misunderstanding or misconception.
–verb (used with object) 3. to regard or identify wrongly as something or someone else: I mistook him for the mayor.
4. to understand, interpret, or evaluate wrongly; misunderstand; misinterpret.

Making a mistake is something we all do no matter how careful we may be. Dropping the rv is something many folks do, no doubt everyday. A rv'er is not a professional driver. The Rv'er may have litle or no training in the proper operation of a rv. The average Rv'er is more apt to make a mistake than a professional driver. Many rv'ers have never heard of a "high hitch" or understand how their hitch works. Most rv'ers have never heard of a "pre trip inspection" There should be rules and testing for RV drivers. The bedsaver is a device that can prevent a common problem among Rv'ers due to, perhaps, lack of proper training or knowledge of their equipment...But...the average person will still make mistakes. You may hookup 5,000 times without error...but...you will make a mistake....maybe next time..
Old 11-07-2008, 04:10 AM   #16
up2nogood
Established Member

M.O.C. #8293
Rich, what are you trying to say everyone is going to drop a 5ver,that certainally seems to be yours and many others contention here and RVnet. Yes we make mistakes no doubt about it, but not everyone has to make the same ones, as many think. How many times have you read where someone has written there are two types of rvers ones that have dropped there 5vers and the ones that are going to, and naturally written by one that has. Now they are convinced if they can do it we all are going to. Thats baloney. I will repeat we all make mistakes some are horrific and have bad results,but to say we all are going to is just nonsense.

I am not against Bedsavers if you want one, need one , don't even know if you need one get one no one cares I certainally don't. I am against this attitude about this subject that everyone is going to make this mistake.I will continue to do what I am doing. My advice here is pay attention, pay attention, pay attention. For the ones that can't or think they can't buy the bedsaver and let that remind you to hitch properly,and as some will say you will be glad you did when you drop your 5ver. See how long you can go without dropping your 5ver you might surprise yourself and the rest of the naysayers. I would think a bedsaver would be a better reminder that a fix.

up2nogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:09 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I never said or am I trying to say that everyone will drop their rv. I said that every one can, has and will make mistakes. That mistake may well be dropping the RV.Hitching and unhitching is something that the individual has total control over. Careful observation and paying attention to every detail even observing and detecting a equipment malfunction Should prevent improper hitching or unhitching..but it can not prevent a mistake, oversight, etc.You admit that everyone makes mistakes but that you can never make one that involves hitching or unhitching your camper that might result in dropping it. That is not logical. We have never dropped our RV and since we are long timers we have hitched and unhitched scores of times. We are very careful, we both double check the procedure, We do a visual inspection, both of us, we follow a check list, we take our time.. But we are capable of making a mistake. We drove off with the TV antenna up..how stupid, it is on the check list..Mistake..We drove off and pulled the power cord out of the pedastal....how stupid..it is on the checklist...mistake. We forgot to lock one of the compartment doors and it opened in transit..how stupid..it is on the check list..mistake. Once overlooked securing a small step ladder in the bed of the truck and it floated out of the bed...how stupid...mistake.

Our disagreement is simple..You say that it is imposable to make a mistake and that mistake may result in dropping the Rv..I say it is very possible to make a mistake and drop the RV.No matter how careful and observant. Oh..It is also not logical to say that everyone will sooner or later drop their RV..most never will. But I will say with 100% accuracy that everyone will make a mistake in some area.That area could be in hitching and unhitching as well as in any other area.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #18
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
Hey Rich, just want to say amen to the point that anyone is capable of making mistakes. We have been camping for 40 yrs now and have learned just that point.

By the way I just received my new TV antenna by UPS. Even though one of the last things I "always" do is check the antenna, this time I didn't. Yup, you guessed it I heard the terrible smack as I pulled out of one of our favorite primitive campsites a few weeks ago. Totally dismantled the antenna on a tree limb.

We bought a bedsaver, shortly after getting our 5th wheel, after reading many testimonials of someone with damage to bed rails or 5th wheels.

Just knew my once in a while brain lapses.
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
By the way up2nogood. No offense please. This is a interesting discussion point but no big deal.We can agree to disagree. Not worth getting upset over.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #20
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
I personally can't wait till I can get a "bed saver" installed on my truck. I would be nice to have a "little" reassurance will I am pulling. Yes, I do try to do things in an order and my wife(co-pilot) verifies things when we are hooked up. I check the hitch for loose or missing bolts and make sure it is in the locked position for pulling. I close and open the "claws" a few times. I check for loose bolts on the king-pin area. When we are connected, I lock the brakes on the Montana and do "tugs" against the claws while the legs are just slightly above the ground. That way if I did something wrong and the Montana comes loose, it will land on the legs. When we bought the Montana, this is how the people at Suncoast Rv taught us. We have never pulled a 5th wheel before that time.
I have since found a missing bolt and a loose bolt in the area on the truck frame where the hitch is bolted under the bed of the truck.
Since I bought the Montana, I have changed careers and became a "truck" driver. The school I went thru is very strong on teaching the "pre-trips" and post-trips on the tractors/trailers. We have reminders on trailer decals to remind us about high-hooks. We don't have "claws" to wrap around the king-pin, but intead have 2 bars that cross in front of the king-pin. We can only see one bar when we look into the 5th wheel opening after we connect. We also do tugs against the trailer brakes to "assure" us even more that things are going to be safe. It would be nice if they have some kind of a "catcher" like a "bed saver" if things go bad. We care about damage to tractors/trailers. They can be fixed. What we do care about is the trailer coming disconnected and hurting someone down the road. Possibly killing somebody. This scares the H-LL out of me every time I go to work. I have only been a truck driver for 1 1/2 years, but the things I have seen in this short time OPENS my eyes more every day.
I know that there have been conversations about "cracked" welds in the frames of 5th wheels. These are areas that are covered up and are not seen. I have seen one of our trailers from work that the king-pin sheered off and the trailer dropped onto the tractors frame. Thanks to the Lord (if I am allowed to say this here), there was no traffic and nobody was hurt. I have seen a trailer frame that just snapped in half while on the exit ramp. It was a newer trailer. Somethings can't be avoided like hidden or hair size cracks. Tires that are new, but still blow out.
I believe that if one can "help" prevent a problem and you can afford it, then do it. I can't wait till I can afford it.
The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote