Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #21
mustang92
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6132
Thanks to everyone that offered info on tire pressure. It helped me a lot! I am sorry that this thread turned into something else. Glenn obviously has a real technical knowledge of tires and I appreciate that. Orv put it all into perspective and I could relate to what he was saying. I don't know if I'm overweight, but I would guess its on the high side, so I can be pretty sure I need to run my tire pressure at 80psi. Thanks everyone.--David

mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #22
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
I also have to agree with Orv. From the pictures I seen posted here, and on other forums, of fulltimers with every nook and cranny of the basement filled to the brim, and the rigs I've seen at resorts of fulltimers it sure appears that most are overweight. If the shoe dosen't fit then great for you, and all of us who share the road with you.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #23
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Thanks to all you MOC that replyed to this topic. It sure was helpful to a dummy like me. I am keeping a note book on "RV Tips & Good Info" that I pick up from the Forum. This way I know who to blame. Thanks again.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #24
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I upgraded my axles, wheels and tires to 7K from 6K; Tires are Goodyear 614s and I run them at 110 psi even though I could go a little less. Feel it is easier than trying to figure out, and then remember individual wheel weights and tire pressures. With over 3K miles, no adverse wear on the tires (albeit they were already used when I got them; now looking to replace them later this year due to time since manufacture). From everything I have read I suggest you run them at max pressure as shown on the tire side wall (as limited by the rims you are running if they are lessor pressure rims!!!).

By the way -- Full- timers -- you have nothing on us football 'Tail-Gaters'; When I emptied my unit out for the winter I found stuff I didn't even know we had, much less that we had in in the 5er. Wife (and I'll admit, I added some as well) had stuff in nooks and crannies I had forgetten existed. We all tend to add to what we have, it the the nature of being human. Even in the military I found it amazing how what we carried seemed to increase; and now I have a mobile 'hooch' to load -- oh my!!!

Glenn, Orv, and everyone else -- it is your unique personalities, plus the life experiences you bring, that make this forum so delightfull. Hang in there -- we all gain from your valuable comments.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:43 AM   #25
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Well, here's my 2 cents.

Like Glenn stated, I run my trailer tires at the pressure required to carry the load - and I make sure I'm not overloaded. Since my 06 has the mission E tires, but only 6,000# axles, I need only run 65# in order to support 3,000# per tire - I actually run at 70#.

In a recent conversation with TireCo, they confirmed my practice. And since the tires run "softer" I can really tell the difference inside the trailer in that stuff stays in place much better than when I was initially running 80# in the tires. TireCo also stated that running the "proper" pressure enabled the tire to better withstand road hazzards.

There are pluses and minuses associated with running tires at too much pressure, as well as running with too little. For me, I like mine set for the proper pressure to handle the load.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote