Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Another Mission Tire Failure

Last week while travelling home to Ontario from TX near Tuscaloosa AB the inside rear Mission tire disintegrated. I changed it myself rather than wait for ERS and we proceeded to a tire dealer in Tuscaloosa. There I tried to contact Tireco but got busy signals every time. The dealer pointed out that two of the remaining tires had large buldges in them indicating that they too were ready to go. Since we did not have the time to wait "2 to 3 days" for upgraded ST tires-tax time in Canada and only a few days left on the out of country medical, and I know that it would likely be 6 to 7 days-I had 4 Chinese made tires installed. The"old" tires had 10400 miles on them and were loaded to 2375 lbs. A claim has been lodged with Tireco since we arrived home. Time for a recall Keystone-before someone gets hurt. This is way beyond cheap audio equipment.

berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I am glad you guys are OK, sorry to hear about the tires. We often do things the way we end up doing them because of circumstance.
Lets get the recall idea some momentum.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
What is the price that TireCo and Keystone can put on the lives of those of us driving around on what we consider new, therefore good, tires. I'm getting ready to go on a 4000 mile round trip and I'm going to be stressed wondering about the tires. I know that TPM's are a good thing to have, but now it is a top priority to prevent damage to the Montana and possibly save a life. Those conditions should not exist. An occasional blow out from road debris is to be expected when traveling our highways, but to have malfunctioning tires because of poor craftsmanship is not acceptable.

Keystone, get it right. Recall, and provide, a good tire that will last the average expectancy for tires and give us owners peace of mind. Will it take a class action lawsuit to make you come to grips with this problem when someone gets hurt?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Learning from the misfortunes and/or mistakes of others is why this forum is so valuable. Unfortunately we don't always act on the information we have. Denial is a defense mechanism built into the human psyche. Often we think it only happens to others or I am good enough to avoid it happening to me.

Listening to all of you that have had problems with the OEM Mission tires plus my own experiences with flats is precisely why I opted to dump the Missions with only 3000 miles. The more I read from you, the more my decision is reinforced.

I am genuinely glad for those of you who have had positive experiences with the Missions. I wish all could say that. However, Now that I have replaced them, I have greater confidence and comfort in towing. Being able to drop the level of anxiety when towing is very valuable to me.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
One way to deal with this issue may be to do so at the dealer. Simply make it part of the deal when working out your deal.

I know it may not be the best way but it would be one way to work it out.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote