Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Blood has been spilled

Well it took nearly 2 years to get it done but today I walked directly into the hitch pin. How did I do that you ask...it was easy..I just walked directly into it.The advantage of being vertically challenged is that instead of gouging a hole in my coconut it dug a groove in it.Helen had just clattered off to toil for the rodent so she was no help at all. I held a soapy sponge to my head to stem the blood and Remembering My Fist aid training I immediately administered anesthetic in the form of a triple Tequila hooker. That eased the pain..for the wound I balled up a paper towel full of ice stuck it on my head and cursed for 5 minutes. Do I have a head ache..you bet. Well at least I have 7 hours to clean up the bleed from the door, screen, floor, counter top and throw out the trash with about 1/2 roll of bloody paper towels in it and come up with a story for Helen of how i was attacked by 5 escaped convicts but fought them off with only minor wounds . Stupid keystone..Why would they put a hitch pin in such a dumb place.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
OUCH! I am hurting with you. Ouch! Sit back, relax and have some more medicine. You'll either feel better or forget you hurt at all!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
A little Jack or Jim could have helped too. At least with liquor on your breath,Helen would not have to ask what happened? Takes away all the thought.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Been there, done that!!

We also had a friend who ran into our hitch one night and had blood everywhere. Head wounds do tend to bleed quite a bit.

What we have done is bought a couple of those swimming "noodles" and cut them to fit the the length of the bedroom slide and the 4 angles on the hitch.

The bedroom slide took 1 whole noodle and about a 1/3 of another noodle. The hitch took the other 2/3 of the noodle. I cut four smaller pieces to fit the angles on the hitch.

Just cut one side of the noodle all the way through lengthwise and it fits easily. Haven't had a noodle fly off in the wind yet either.

Takes only a moment to put the noodles on and it certainly saves any more shedding of blood.

The noodles come in various colors and are probably in season now on the swimming pool toys & supply aisle now at Walmart, Target and other stores.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Rich,

Sorry to hear of your mishap. Glad to know I'm not the only person that can be mortally wounded just walking about a campsite. I like the 5 convict attack story. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
It is sure a good thing that ya didn't get any dain bramage. I have been fairly lucky so far, my head is high enough to make a bend over job to hit the pin, but my shins are really dinged up from many years of equalizer hitches. A very ugly image follows

Sorry about that, this is another reason I don't wear shorts, they tend to scare small children, as you can see the left leg got the most abuse as I was usually coming from the drivers seat when I dinged the shins. The right leg was from from trying to step over the hitch and not getting the leg high enough and hitting the tab for the sway bar ball. Good luck on the convict story, I believe it... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
Well Rich, I knew that as we get old(er) that we get groovey (not wrinkled) and now you really have a cute one! I don't know if the headache is from the wound or the Teq shot. My legs look a lot like EXNAVYDIVER because of our new hitch. I'm sure you'll get lots of sympathy for Helen (not).
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Rich, good story, I enjoyed all but the part of you getting hurt. Hope you heal well.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Hurts, doesn't it? George did about the same thing. Was pulling the vacuum over the driveway and ran smack into the hitch. Bruised ribs real bad. Took along time for him to be able to cough or laugh without holding his chest. We feel your pain.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #10
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Rich, Don has run into our king pin several times. We have those swim noodles but he forgets to put them on. He has run into the bedroom slides too and have noodles for those too.

Hope you heal quickly.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Rich, that was so bad that I can feel it, too. I, too, will take your 5 convicts story and use it. My gouges came from the bottoms of the slides until, like D&M, we got the swimming noodles. Now, if I can only remember to put them on, all will be well. Wishing you a quick recovery, my friend - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Rich,
Either my memory is failing me or I remember last year a post where I thought you professed the use of a hardhat around the rig (Ha!!). Sorry to hear about the mishap, but a little head-knocking sometimes can benefit us. At least that is what the DW's think for sure. I hope you find the missing hardhat!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ouch..... I haven't hit the hitch pin, but I have not ducked low enough and ran my head into the side of the trailer. I saw stars and just about went to my knees. I now walk around the front cap, or the back of the Monty.

We use tennis balls on the corners of the slides. I was worried about the noodles tearing the slide gaskets.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #14
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
How deep is the 'groove?' You might need some stitches. I dug a groove on my head from the bottom of an airplane wing's flap a few years back...took seven stitches.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
If the groove is deep enough you can glue a fin to it and go trick or treating as Fish Man
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I think I'll buy a memory foam mattress and a lot of duct tape!!!!

So sorry to hear about your leaving blood on the hitch. I hope you cleaned it and your head up real well.

Stay safe!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bingo... The hard hat is in Ohio..my head is in Florida..Good planning..right..We are completely recovered except for a big headache not associated with the head grooving but the applied anesthetic. The treatment required large doses of various anesthetics. After experimentation
"Barbados Rum" seems to provide the highest results with head grooving type wounds.Got about a two inch groove in the coconut but it is just a flesh wound..We may have to rethink the noodle on the hitch pin....That reallllyyy hurt.. Sign me up in the knot on the head club.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Glad to see you can make a joke of it and were not hurt any worse. I think we all have (or will someday) done something very similar and have battle scars on the forehead and skull to prove it. The noodle things only work if we put them on. Seems like I only remember after I wallop myself similar to what you did then I remember for a couple trips then forget until I have another mishap. The 3 wise men always were great remedies for just about anything.

Another option would be to add a tri-pod on the hitch to help the wiggles, and prevent head trauma.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #19
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
OUCH!!!

In addition to the noodle option, my parents use a decorated bucket of some sort...been a while since I've really paid attention to it, but I'll be seeing them this weekend and take a picture of it/providing more details in case anyone wants to try it as a anti-head gouging device. They use the noodle solution for the slide out, but I'm all for simple/low volume (for storage in route) and tennis balls sound intriguing...so how do they work please?

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #20
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Hahahahahahaha, not laughing at you Rich, but with you. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I now have a flashing neon sign in my head that, when I get within 5 feet of the pin box says "LOOK OUT DUMMY, SEVERE PAIN AREA" .

Thanks for the grins.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote