Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
jorpcorn

M.O.C. #7175
Fuel filler

I am frustrated at times with difficulty accessing diesel fuel at some stations. Finding and/or getting to the diesel pump with the smaller nozzle can be a challenge. Using the transport truck pumps would be so much easier, but the larger hose/nozzle setup eliminates that option. What am I missing here? Is there a solution - such as replacing the fuel-filler access with a larger opening? I guess one way would be to install a larger tank in the box, as I assume they have a larger opening? Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

jorpcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
On my truck the bigger nozzle fits ok. Maybe you could have the inlet changed out. What type of truck do you have?
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:57 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
GM changed the fill neck mid year 2004. My son has a 2004 Chevy LB7; I have the after mid year GMC LLY. His has the small neck; mine doesn't. He has threatened to change his out, but it is just basically a grocery getter right now. Anyway, http://www.transferflow.com/fillnecks.html has kits to change the neck out.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:37 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
If you do have an 04 or earlier GM maybe you can get one of the newer fill tubes. My 03 had the small hole while my 05 has the big one. Other than the hole size, I didn't see any difference between the two. You could check with your or any GM dealer or like Will said above check out Transfer Flow.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:16 AM   #5
jorpcorn

M.O.C. #7175
Thanks everyone. Truck is '03 2500HD Silverado - obviously prior to GM changing the size. Shall check the web site for TransferFlow as definitely want to change to a bigger opening.
Jim
jorpcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:32 AM   #6
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
My 04 has the bigger opening, however the diesel pressure is so great that I must stand holding the handel and just let it drubble the fuel in. Its a pain, I know that they have kits to eliminate this but I cant justify the cost, so I just stand by the pump complaining when I cant get to the smaller nozzle pump.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RonS

My 04 has the bigger opening, however the diesel pressure is so great that I must stand holding the handel and just let it drubble the fuel in. Its a pain, I know that they have kits to eliminate this but I cant justify the cost, so I just stand by the pump complaining when I cant get to the smaller nozzle pump.
You might want to take a look at your vent line and be sure it's not kinked or such. I have used the large nozzles and had good luck. I never leave it filling on auto shutoff though. It doesn't take long to fill that little stock tank, and it will foam over before it gets shut off.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:06 AM   #8
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Will - I checked my vent line (the best I could and as far as I could reach above the DF tank) and all seems OK. The top end has some kind of cap on it guess so bugs and dirt dont enter the line. Anyway if I use the high pressure large nozzle at the truck stops it kicks off immediately. Does not matter what distance I place the hose into the opening, so I just hand hold the nozzle and trickle the fuel into the tank. Which takes a long time what am I doing wrong?? Small nozzel pumps work great and I use them when I can, however sometimes when hooked to 5th wheel cant get to them.
Thanks Ron
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:04 AM   #9
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
You really need to change out the filler neck. I WOULD BET you could go to a Auto Salvage yard and for $10.00 bill, they would probably fix you up real quick. I agree, it can get frustrating with the little nozzle. Beside your driving a DIESEL you deserve to go to the otherside of the FUEL STATION and be with the BIG BOYS!!!! ha ha ha
Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #10
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
This issue is exactly one of the reasons I love my Dodge. Love to pull up to the big truck pumps and set it at full blast.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #11
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Large nozzles and auto shut offs work fine in my 07 D/A.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote