Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2007, 01:25 AM   #1
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Need tips/advice on interior organization

Okay, let me pick your brains. Since we had a small 23' travel trailer before, I never had the need to use many space saving devices as there was no place to use them as space was already too limited and you just crammed things in where you could. Now, in our new 5er, I will have much more storage space in the kitchen (and bedroom) and am looking for ideas on how you all utilize that best.

Most of you probably have the same issue as I will - only being able to reach the bottom shelves in the cupboards overhead. I did pick up one of those three shelf corner thingies yesterday and may get another one but need to wait first and see if I need it. I wanted something that I can put plates, glasses and mugs on and they all fit on this so that made my day! It should be small enough to fit in the RV cupboards.

I only have three drawers so I know my drawer space is going to be limited! Also, my counter top is kind of limited. Not even sure yet until I get inside the RV and measure if I can install a paper towel rack under a cabinet (I sure hope so). Will only have a coffee pot, S&P, napkins, and a container with often used kitchen tools (to save drawer space) on the counter-top probably. I already have a really neat little folding, all-in-one dish drainer (that looks like a small notebook when folded up) so that will be easy to store. I think we will have enough storage in the kitchen but it is just making it more accessible. I hate having to drag out a step stool all the time so will put most used items on the bottom shelves of the overhead cabinets and get as much down there as I can.

I have little skinny plastic baskets already for the medicine cabinet that I can use but may need to buy longer ones for the new rig as the cabinet is a bit larger. We have, I think, plenty of storage in our bedroom/bath so that should not be an issue.
Looking forward to all your helpful tips!

Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:45 AM   #2
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I have lost a lot of counter space. The coffe maker takes up almost all I have. I would put a underneath unit in, but when we had one here at home the steam ruined my varnish on the cupboard.

So like you, still working to get the kitchen settled. Was thinking of putting the papertowel inside a lower door. Don't know if I want to do that though.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:27 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here's one for the bathroom I made out of some Oak I had laying around:
Med. Cabinet organizer:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0790.jpg
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
Remember that almost everything on the counter has to be stored for travel.
We use a Pop-a-napkin under a cabinet over the dinette.
Mounted the coffee maker under the cabinet with about a half inch spacer. Not noticed any steam problems in almost two years of use.
Mounted a small wire rack to the wall over the stove for S&P and some other small stuff.
We have added several shelves inside of cabinets. We have also removed several of the false fronts and made usable space out of dead air space.
There are a lot of possibilities. Take your time to personalize the space the way it works for you. Good luck.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:34 AM   #5
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
We are going to be seasonal campers so putting away things won't be an issue for us (at least at this time).

I always liked the looks of the under the cabinet coffee makers but had read where some have had cabinet damage from the steam from them. I am wondering if it makes a difference in the brand or how far down they sit below the cabinet or what? In away, one would be nice obviously not using up valuable counter space but also since all my plugs are on the bottom of the overhead cabinets I believe (only been in our RV twice and are not in possession of it yet, but soon). It would end up in front of our kitchen window though and am not sure I would like it blocking some of my view but it really may be a non-issue. Oh, also what about once the coffee maker quits working and you have install a new one and possibly make new holes? I would hate to end up with several different patterns of holes on the bottom of the cabinets, ya know, particularly if they were not covered by the next one I installed.

I will be adding shelves and containers that I find will fit/work and make more things convenient once we "move in" and see what works. I may look at some "on the door" type installations of wire racks but will wait and see first exactly what I will need/could use.

I wish husband was a "handyman" as I have noted a couple of those fronts of which you speak that could potentially be "false fronts" and could potentially provide some additional storage space. I like the down low space as it is something I can at least reach.

Now, I didn't even think of putting the napkin holder actually ON the table. DUH! We don't eat at our table often in our stick house so guess that is why I always have it on our kitchen counter but I have a lot of kitchen counter at home. (Sometimes I think too much as all it does is allow for more clutter!)

Ozz, as always, a nifty idea in the medicine cabinet! Husband is not a "handyman" so I think using those small, skinny plastic baskets in our medicine cabinet will work for us; they did in our travel trailer.

Thanks for the ideas everyone and please keep them coming!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:42 AM   #6
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Exactly where did you put that coffee pot mobrownies? Would like to try to find one that didn't make a lot of steam that went up toward the cupboards.
That would free up a huge area.
I have no problem in the bathroom. Our unit has two cabinets. I just need another towel bar.
I use those baskets too. Have for years. Also wire shelves.

Carol
Old 05-04-2007, 01:25 AM   #7
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Carol, I just did a quick search and I came up with the below:
Under Mount Coffee makers:
A 1/2" barrier plate mounted flush, or protruding slightly beyond the face surface of doors above, is recommended. This prevents possible surface damage and swelling of core material from excessive heat and/or steam.

I wonder if you can get under counter coffee makers that come with these or if you have to make your own "barrier" and if so what material you would use ???. Hopefully mobrownies can shed some light on this for us.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:05 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all keep in mind that things will move especially so when making a stop. Everything has a tendency to slide toward the front of the trailer. Therefore that 3 shelf corner thingy should be against the front wall of the cabinet so there is no place for the dishes to go. Never in a back corner.

At Wally World I purchased 2- 3 teared wire racks. These can be mounted on the inside of taller cabinet doors and are great for small items. They come with 2 wall rails and 3 separate baskets. Attach the wall rails on the thickest part of the door. The 3 baskets can be set at various heights. In our case we use them primarily for the over the counter and prescription drugs but they could also be used for other small items such as spices, etc.

We also used some single wire racks for the back walls on some of the cabinets.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:20 AM   #9
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Wow Glenn, as they say, a picture speaks a thousand words (or something like that). I am a visual person and this helps me tremendously. Thanks so much for taking the time to post the photos. Nice work BTW and great ideas!!
Old 05-04-2007, 02:28 AM   #10
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I found that those "glad" containers that deli meats come in are just the right width for our bathroom cabinets and by putting my stuff in them i don't get a "shower" of all the things when I open the medicine cabinet door any more.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:35 AM   #11
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
I am not sure how wide the cabinet shelves are in our new medicine cabinet but I think wider than in our little travel trailer so I will have to see what works. However, in the travel trailer, I just used the nonslip shelf stuff under the plastic baskets and it resolved the baskets falling out of the cabinet when opening the door. So, I can totally relate to what you are saying.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
Chuck and Carol,
We have a Black and Decker under cabinet 12 cup coffee maker. In our layout the sink sits on an angle instead of underneath a window. There is a cabinet over the sink and the coffe maker is mounted to the bottom of it between the window and the trailer door. It came with plastic spacers and we used them between the bottom of the cabinet and the coffee maker, providing about a half inch of air gap. We like having it up and out of the way. We added a strap across the pot so it would stay put while traveling.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:34 AM   #13
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
When we were in Walmart yesterday, I looked for a coffee pot. But they didn't have one. Chuck being a "GE" retiree, we "must" buy GE made products or those that use to be made by "GE".

Will keep looking. Know I have seen them. Not many choices of where to shop where we live.

Carol