Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Bed liners - not sprayed on....

OK, so it sounds like I'm in the minority, but I don't really care for sprayed on liners, I have been looking at an alternative called a "bedrug". Does anyone have any experience with these? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bedrugs are nice, but you have to cut the area for your hitch out. I wanted my entire bed covered and protected thus the reason I went with the spray in liner. Depending on how you use your truck and how long you keep it might be some of the issues you consider before you make your decision. The main thing is to remember that there is no right or wrong decision, just get the one that is right for you.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
We too went away from the spray on bed liner.
We also looked at "Bed Rugs".
Went with a drop in liner....Penda.
The bed rug idea didn't impress us when I heard that after a few years the liner will fade from weather exposer. Sorry! I like things not to just funtion well, but also to look nice. Drop in liners seem the best for us, we did have a paint saver liner installed first. (Did this on our last truck, when we pulled the liner out of the truck, the bed was as good as new).
I do suggest one thing to look for if you look into drop in liners. That would be a "non-skid" liner. Big Difference!
Best of luck in your search...... Denise
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Montana Sky-
I like your "no right or wrong...just right for you" phrase. I wish more people in our world had this same additude.
At work I use a phrase of, "theres no right or wrong way of doing things just many different ways of doing it."....Thank You!..Denise
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
I had a rubber bedliner for use when I had a slide-in camper and retained it for the 5er. I ended up cutting it into 3 pieces such that only the rails protrude thru, and not very much at that. I could have left it in one piece and cut openings for the rails, but I wanted to be able to remove it while the hitch is installed when I do not have my canopy on and rain water could get trapped under it. I like the non-skid feature of the rubber mat, but if my bed gets to looking bad, I will coat it with a commercial coating like Rhino-Liner. So far, after 6 years the bed is in great shape.
Ken
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:06 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had two drop in liners in our two previous trucks.The last one had the "paint saver". They both served us well with no complaints. Since this camper is a fifth wheel and the bed would be exposed to the weather more we went with the spray in liner because we thought it would offer better protection from rain, Etc since it is essentially a sealed unit. We agree that it does not look as nice as the drop in liners and we hesitated on that for awhile but everything is give and take so we gave on the looks and went with the sealed unit.Just our rational..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:46 AM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I like the 1/2 inch thick rubber bed mat because nothing slides on them. I cut it to fit around my hitch rails. I don't like the slippery bed liners and I have a utility trailer for any loads that would scratch my inner box sides. If you don't scratch up the interior of your box to give corrosion a place to start, they stay good looking for years. Like everybody says , there is no right or wrong choice but I have owned a pickup since 1973 and my favorite is the rubber bed mats.

I also put an aluminum checkerplate on the front of the box so lumber and other long items don't mark up the paint.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:26 AM   #8
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We too went with the thick rubber mat in the bed of the truck. I think I got it at a pep boys outlet. Anyway, we had a signature series 18k Reese hitch installed and they cut four round small holes for the hitch to extent into the bed as the rails are below the bed. That way, when I remove the head assembly of the hitch, the whole bed can be used. The protruding hitch latches are at the bed level. We like the rubber mat. The drop in hard bed covers tend to move and slide over the years leaving bare spots in the bed that could rust. The spray ons are good, but we prefer the mats. Everyone has there own ideas. It's what you like.that matters..........
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:20 AM   #9
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
I went with rubber bed mats (two pieces), and put on a Cabela's tailgate protector (plastic/rubber). With my folding hard cover, the bed fully protected & secure when I'm not towing, and is partially covered when towing.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you go with the dropin I'd recommend the paint saver, although I've not heard of that before. The truck I had with dropin without paint saver the bed was scratched through the paint and thus was rusty.

One thing with a drop in, if it has the corrugated floor, you need to cut out the liner where the hitch rails are located. Otherwise that corrugated ribs will not allow full seating of the rails and thus allow some movement. Not a good thing.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote