Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
3400 owners

We are buying one in Feb. Just spent 2 days at the RV show and did not notice the following. In the back where the recliners are.Is there ANY overhead lighting in that area. One of those recliners will be replaced by a large bird cage for the Cock-A-Too that hates me.the other recliner will remain. I am thinking of the end table and lamp option and wondering if we will need it???

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
Our end table and lamp have never been used. The table is wrapped in a blanket in the closet and the lamp is in a closet. There is plenty of light without them.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
The lamp is gone, use the end table between the chairs.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That answers that question..That is a few Dollars we can spend elsewhere in the Montana.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #5
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
If you don't have the end table, what do you set your drink on? Unless they have changed, the 3400 I was in last week, had the reading lights above the chairs like mine does.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have lamps on the walls behind the chairs in each corner. I also have the end table and lamp, and use them all the time. I keep the remotes for the tv/dvd players on the table and always have a can of diet pepsi with me on it as well. Rich, if you are not going to use the 2nd recliner do not order it, that will save you a few pennies that you might want the end table instead. I also have a sofa table and it works great for placing magazines, and other items on. I like having the lamp there also, I usually leave that on if I am going to be gone after dark. I do not worry to much about that lamp over heating and causing anything to get hot or burn.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Rich, we have a wall mounted lamp over each recliner which is nice for reading. We ditched the cheap lamp that came with the Montana but replaced it with one of our own choice. The new one sits on the end table next to the one recliner that we've left in the Montana. In the other corner we have a 2.5 ft wicker square storage basket, which has a wire frame inside it. We use it to store large items such as my knitting bag, fabric, etc. It's a great storage area.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Interesting comments..One reason for maybe not having the end table is that it is sort of tight back there and with the bird cage there if the stupid bird can reach the table or the lamp or any other thing he will tear it apart You can not believe the strength in their beaks. If the cage gets to close to the end table it will be tooth picks in short order. Oh..I have never had a problem on what to do with my drink. If I can't find any place to set it down I will just have to drink it!!! But that is a excellent point..! Will have to measure the room back there then measure the cage and the recliner to see how things fit..You know the metal Venetian blind type shades in a camper..Had them in our TT and the bird got his beak on one, from inside his cage, and cut through them like tin snips.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
So, I guess hand feeding this bird is out of the question? Sounds kind of close to hand feeding a lion a raw steak out in the African plains...

Actually, your future close-knit environment, living together in the Montana, may give you an opportunity to bond with the bird. Just let Helen hang on to the key to your gun cabinet...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rich we did the switch between the sofa and chairs. The little end table is at the end of the couch near the computer desk with the lamp on it. I use the table when I'm on the computer to lay papers, etc. on. We use the lamp also. This is also where we put the little Christmas tree last year when we were in the Monty until a few days before Christmas. You could see the lights from the street side skinny window. There are wall lamps on each side of the end (sofa now originally chairs). We have a round coffee table (folds up to travel not a Keystone product) we use in front of the chairs. We don't have to move the chairs to pull slides in and there is a lot of storage area behind the chairs whether you move them or not. We use plastic storage tubs and they are almost hidden. I'm thinking of replacing them with some wicker tubs. Does your Cock-a-too talk?
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I like your setup, Sue. Something we will probably do.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue
Curious, how long is your sofa? Second, did you find you had more room for the table and chairs when you put the recliners in the slideout? Now I am wondering if I switch the recliners and sofa around, I could move the table towards the back of the coach a few inches to provide more room for the chairs against the slideout wall. Those two chairs always seem to hit the curtain brackets and break them. I have installed drywall anchors in the screw holes and this seems to be holding the brackets much better.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:39 AM   #13
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
We use the end table and the lamp, albeit it's tight for space. I've found that I don't like the 12 volt lighting for general use…it’s in my opinion a harsh not natural lighting. The table lamp gives more of a home lighting and coziness to the inside. We have added table lamps to the dinning room table and computer desk to even out the lighting inside the rig. Try it and then decide what you like.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:26 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sue..we really like what you did with the switch.We had thought of that..good to hear that it works out. You know everything is a compromise. We would like to have every option but sure can't afford that so we will have to choose the ones that are best for us. End table, lamp, recliners, we are not going to order any of those.Large number of you wind up replacing them for whatever reason anyhow so we are going to buy stuff of our own choosing and quality.We are sure it will cost more money but it will be our choice.When you do not order that stuff the credit you get is what Keystone paid for them..for example @ 50.00 credit for the mattress.We already decided to get one of those folding coffee tables. Lots of great advise here..this is fun...

Sue..was that sofa bed attached to the floor??? Hey Dsprik ..Are you taking notes for Toledo???We have a long list...
Old 01-10-2006, 03:49 AM   #15
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Cock-a-too Stew, I wonder if prariepoodle has a recipe?
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:52 AM   #16
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Hey Rich, Wanna use my miniature BBQ for your miniature turkey?
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:02 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I sure am Rich.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:28 AM   #18
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We are buying one in Feb. Just spent 2 days at the RV show and did not notice the following. In the back where the recliners are.Is there ANY overhead lighting in that area. One of those recliners will be replaced by a large bird cage for the Cock-A-Too that hates me.the other recliner will remain. I am thinking of the end table and lamp option and wondering if we will need it???
Rich,
On our 2005 3400 we have 2 ornate reading lamps on the side walls, the end table and lamp in between the recliners and a double 12 volt light fixture on the ceiling directly above. We rarely use anything other than the end table lamp. As far as light goes, if we turned on all of them I'd have to wear my sunglasses.
I really like the end table as a handy place to put my beer or wine glass. YMMV.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:36 AM   #19
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
Rich,
We have a '06 3400 and tried to switch the sofa and chair around but found out the sofa is too deep to be able and close the slides, I know Parrothead switch theres so I'm not sure if the sizes change or the fact that our sofa is a hide a bed is the reason it's too deep. We liked the idea of switching them but can't. More info to ponder.
Kim
kegger5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:02 AM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks for the heads up, Kim.

*On Edit~ Sounds like we will need a tape measure at Toledo, Rich.