Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2006, 06:13 PM   #21
Koalityman
Established Member

M.O.C. #4872
JP,

Great graphics and presentation.

I have a Honda 2000 and used it for the first time last week as we had a 10 hour power failure due to a tree cutting off the 21,000 volt lines for 300 homes.

The generator worked great for lighting, the refrigerator and TV. but your sugesstion sure beats the messy part of routing a power cod through the kitchedn and living room.

I plan on buying and installing what you outlined.

Many thanks,

Koalityman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:19 PM   #22
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
Wrenchtraveller - Back from boondocking south of Tuscon and three days on Indian land north of Algodones. The Kipor worked great. I got a lot of attention from other boondockers who looked at it and couldn't believe how well it worked. Another guy had a Honda 2000 and we put them side by side. We did a sound test. Started each of them up and one guy had his back turned and tried to identify which one was the Honda and which was the Kipor. Kind of like the Pepsi taste test of years ago and needless to say he couldn't pick out which was the Honda and the Kipor. I'll bet I could have sold a couple down there if I had them on my truck.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:56 AM   #23
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Jim, great news and I am happy to hear you had a good time and your Kippor generator worked out well. Also happy to hear they are as quiet as a Honda. Mine is working better all the time and Monday we had a big windstorm and knocked our power out for 4 hours. The Kipor started on the second pull and gave us lights in the house. My daughter had to study for a big test for her university course so the whole family likes this generator now and my internet buying experience has turned out well.

Dave on your question on my batteries, my Montana came with 2 cheap 12 volts but I am not complaining because I see that some dealers are still selling Montanas with 1 cheap 12 volt and we never even discussed the battery issue with the dealer I bought from.

Funny , because the Island dealer that wanted 9000 bucks more for the same unit had told me that batteries are extra. Sure glad I called Fraserway in Delta. They also have a another lot out in Abbotsford and I bought a Camper there 3 years ago. Both good RV dealers but I like the Delta one the best.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:49 AM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Don. I believe Rich talked to the dealer we plan buying from and he mentioned that batterries do NOT normally come with the rig. I think Rich said they would give us one free.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:14 AM   #25
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don and Dave
I think you just answered a question we've had. So you are saying the dealer puts the battery (s) in after they get the unit from the factory. This would explain why some come with one and some with two. This would also explain why we think our batteries were connected with wire that was too small (10). Am I correct?
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:23 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Don and Dave
I think you just answered a question we've had. So you are saying the dealer puts the battery (s) in after they get the unit from the factory. This would explain why some come with one and some with two. This would also explain why we think our batteries were connected with wire that was too small (10). Am I correct?
Happy trails........................
Tne battery thing is true. That is why I will have the dealer put in the batteries I want. He will include one and I will attempt to get the other one as part of the deal. When We were selling Rv's a few years ago most of them did not come with propane tanks. The dealers would always have batteries and tanks (empty of course) on the units and buyer would think they were part of the buy..there weren't.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:54 AM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Hope we're not getting too far off topic, but I just went to Montana's website and they do not mention batteries as standard, or as an option. The 30 propane tanks are listed, but under the "Customer Convenience Group" OPTION.

Customer Convenience Group:

* Dexter "E-Z Lube" axles
* Deep tint windows
* Safety glass windows
* Vented attic
* 12 v. rechargeable flashlight near exit
* Cabinet toe kicks
* Lazy Susan
* Laundry chute to basement
* Reading lights over bed
* TV antenna and booster
* High output range with automatic ignitor and 22" oven
* Water heater by-pass kit
* "Easy-Access" double 30-lb. LP bottles with auto change-over
* Oak cell phone holder with charging station
* 2 kitchen sink-covers

(My bold)

Does this mean we have to specifically order the tanks? Or this option?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:34 AM   #28
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Mine was delivered with two deep cycle batteries and full propane tanks included in the price, so it may be up to each individual dealer. At least one battery is needed to activate the break away switch on the unit in transit from the factory. Perhaps that's left up to the independant transport contractor to supply?
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:53 AM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Wonder if I could get the dealer to spring for four golf cart batteries? Can't hurt to ask.

Can't believe the 30 tanks are listed as an OPTION. Never heard of anyone getting a Montana, opening up the side door and saying, "Hey! Where's the propane tanks?" and then the dealer saying, "Sorry, that was an option."
Old 02-02-2006, 10:59 AM   #30
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sorry. To bring this back to the topic... it sounds like the Kippor gen worked exceptionally well. Something to keep ing mind.

Jim, what's the price difference again, between the Honda and the Kipor? And can you hook two Kipors in tandem like you can the Hondas?

*On Edit~ Also, I think you said there could be a problem with service compared to a Honda, as Honda repair shops won't touch a Kipor? Or am I wrong on that?
Old 02-02-2006, 11:16 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Question on generators.. The Honda series generators are fine generators no question..however why is it that apparently the generator you have got to have is the Honda 2000.What is it about the Honda 2000 that is special.I ask because they are very expensive so what do you get for the added expense. we have a Sears 3.5KW generator that is very quiet, heavy yes, not portable at all. Carry it in the back of the truck when needed.. We have seen and heard those Kipor generators.They look like the Honda, work like the Honda, sound like the Honda..But folks will look at it and say...Oh...it's not a Honda.Are we talking status symbol with the Honda or are they really that much better than all the others..
Old 02-02-2006, 01:40 PM   #32
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
In Canada the difference between the Kipor and Honda are quite a bit in Canadian dollars.
I got the Kippor delivered for 900 Can where a Honda is about 1600 Can.

I have seen the Honda in the US as low as 890 US and I don't know what a Kipor would cost down there but if the difference was under 200, I still think the Honda is a safer bet just for the service network that Honda has.

Now that the Canadian dollar is rising in value, I will start making more major purchases down in the US. We pay a lot more for most things up here. Take the V10 engine in my truck. It is made in Canada and it is a 1200 dollar option. In the US, it is only a 600 dollar option,
We make it, ship it down there and you buy it cheaper than we can. There is no free lunch.
Yes, we have some nice social programs but we pay and pay in other ways , believe me.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #33
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
I got my Kipor from Tool King in Colorado for $500 U$. That translates to about $600 C$ at the current rate of exchange. Since I did mail order there was no tax. The same generator retails at Camping World for $999U$ plus tax. According to my math thats more than double. In Canada Wrenchtraveller says the Honda is about $1,600 C$. That's even bigger difference. How can you justify the difference because its a "HONDA"? Beats me.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The ability of a generator to maintain a constant output (voltage/ currrent) is most critical when you are powering your RV.The construction grade generators do a good job running power tools etc but their output is all over the place.varying output will cause great damame to your electronics in the RV.We note comments on how quiet they are, how light they are, how pretty they are..How well do they do in maintaining a constant output. It is worth the 1000.00 for a generator that will not fry your "stuff"
Old 02-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #35
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
The EU2000i (and the 1000) were designed to have stable output voltages, to run electronic devices as well as electric. I've had my 2000 for about 3 years, and run my pc and other electronic devices successfully. I haven't looked up the Kipor specs, but I suspect they have added that circuitry as well.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:46 PM   #36
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
If your Kipor is a Sinemaster like mine it has the advanced current output suitable for computers and other electronics.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:38 AM   #37
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
I recently at the RV show in Denver bought 2 EU 2000's and the Gen tran Kit that hooks the 2 together along with covers for both and they thru in the kits that have spare plugs,jets for the carb,2 DC charge wires for charging batteries and a real nice cable lock for locking the two together. Total price was 2139.00. I thought it was a good deal. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 03:10 AM   #38
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Can you use that same kit to connect two kipors?
Old 02-04-2006, 04:03 AM   #39
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
You wouldn't necessarily need the connectors that Honda makes. On the RV forum at good SAM there is some people you have made a connector set with to cords and box. A lot cheaper. I have pictures that I saved if anyone is interested.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:08 AM   #40
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
Does anybody know where the best prices for the McCulloch 2000 can be found?

Jim Crockett
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote