Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2005, 05:54 AM   #1
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
JAKE BRAKE PRO'S AND CON'S

I AM REALLY INTERESTED IN A JAKE BRAKE FOR MY DODGE, HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THE APPLICATION??? ARE THEY REALLY EXPENSIVE AND CAN THE AVERAGE HOME MECHANIC INSTALL ONE????

Thanks for you input.

Later John H

Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:54 AM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I installed a Banks exhaust brake on my 02 extended cab w/6 speed manual. Not bad at all. Just had to get over the jitters of messing with automotive wiring.

Also installed the Banks exhaust at the same time. That was more than I want to do again. Really need two people to install.

Was totally happy with the exhaust brake. Don't think I would put one on automatic from Dodge. Just my opinion.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:58 AM   #3
Champ203
Established Member

M.O.C. #4767
If you would like to read more about your topic visit this link http://turbodieselregister.com/forum...s=&forumid=127 Hopefully it will work for non members (Turbo Diesel Register)
Champ203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 07:36 AM   #4
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
John
I believe the original JAKE brake was more than just an exhaust brake. The newer exhaust brakes are much quieter. They usually install between the maifold and the exhaust pipe. They restrict but do not completely close off the exhaust. As I recall, the duramax allows about a 65% restriction. The spec for the Cummins is probably very similar.
The tow / haul mode built into most of the new trucks with automatics depend on the natural restriction of the exhast for braking. This braking comes from the back pressure created by the piping, muffler and, if you have one, the catalitic convertor.

Banks and several other aftermarket companies make these devices and several have the installation manual on the web. The Banks appears to be one of the better devices but, as Illapah said, it is more than just bolting in the valve itself. The banks unit monitors some of the information coming from the engine computer to make better decisions about when to close.

Pricing appears to run anywhere from 700 to 1200 dependig on how many features the device has.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:05 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hemlockusa

I AM REALLY INTERESTED IN A JAKE BRAKE FOR MY DODGE, HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THE APPLICATION??? ARE THEY REALLY EXPENSIVE AND CAN THE AVERAGE HOME MECHANIC INSTALL ONE????

Thanks for you input.

Later John H
I had Banks Engineering install their exhaust brake on my Ford 3 1/2 years ago and I wouldn't be without it. For trucks with automatic transmissions, the exhaust brake is a God-send. It has sure saved my brakes (linings, pads, and calipers). They aren't cheap. I paid $1700 for mine, installed.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote