Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2005, 06:05 PM   #1
alanzuck
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #871
How do I get ready to Snowbird?

We are getting ready to Snowbird it to Naples, FL in a month. My question: what do I do with my water and electric in my stick house in New York (30 miles north of NYC)? How do I keep my pipes from freezing? Must I shut off the water before it comes into the house (this would be a problem), or can I shut it off inside the house, and then open all faucets to drain most of the water?

Also, what do I do with my mail deliveries for the 4 months I am away?

I would appreciate any other info that might be helpful. This is our first time being away for such an extended period.

alanzuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
First you have to make the decision to leave the house without power and heat. If you are going to do that then you have to winterize you water supply and your drains.
Draining your water supply can be a challenge. Every water pipe above the freeze line has to have the water removed. Remember water flows down hill so you will have to open your water line below a freeze point to get it all drained out and I would use compressed air to ensure it is clear.

Your drain traps need to be filled with antifreeze. Don't forget your dish washer and clothes washer. If you have floor drains they need attending to also.

Talk to your post office about your mail you can have it put on hold. I do not know if they will forward or not.

Not knowing your situation I can not offer any more up front advice.

Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:49 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Dalia and Alan, H. John has just given you some excellent advise. About the only thing I can add is to leave the heat on while you are gone. Set the thermostat to it's lowest possible setting and have a TRUSTED relative, friend or neighbor check on the house on a daily basis. Especially so on days when the temps are below freezing. Yes, this means giving them a key to your house.
There is a device you can buy that plugs into any electrical outlet and you would plug a lamp into it. This device will turn the lamp on should the temperature drop below 40°F in the house. Place the lamp in a window that can be seen from the TRUSTED relative, friend or neighbor's house or from the street. This way they will know there is an immediate problem should they see the light on. I am sure you can get one at Lowes or Home Depot or even your local hardware store. Of course this device will only work as long as the power is on. Should there be an electrical problem and the power is off this device will not work, making it imperative that the house is checked daily.
You would still shut the water off where it enters the house and then open all faucets to drain most of the water. This way if there is a leak due to frozen pipes only the little water remaining in the pipes will drain out.
Problem with this scenario is you are heating an empty house.

As far as the mail, The post office will forward it to you in Florida. Either to the campgrounds or you could get a Post Office box at the closest post office. BUT you must start the forwarding order to take effect the day you are leaving AND stop the order a week or so before returning home. This should prevent any mail from being sent south while you are heading north.
OR, You can have that TRUSTED relative, friend or neighbor collect your mail while you are gone.

I keep saying TRUSTED relative, friend or neighbor. Remember this person is not only looking for problems in your house but also has access to your personal stuff.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:29 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Everything said above has just about covered all that should be done. We close our stick house for 5 mos. each year. Here is what I do:
Drain the water lines by opening up a tap at the lowest level, like the basement, until all water is drained from lines. Turn the toilets off at the valve under them. Flush the toilets until the closet is empty. Put plumbing antifreeze in all drains to fill traps. Also put it into the toilet and the closet so the seals don't dry out. Draining the water heater is your choice depending on the type of house. If elevated bungalow I would drain it. Turn the heat to it's lowest setting and walk out the door. Good idea if you have a relative or close friend to check every once in a while. We have our mail held at the post office until we return 5 mos. later.
In Ontario, Can. if you drain your pipes, you don't have to have your house checked regularily for insurance purposes. Might be diff. where you live. Check with your insurance co.
Hope this helps.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
When we leave we turn the water to the house off,turn the Gas water heater off set the thermostat at 40 and lock the doors set the alarm and leave. We don't get much real cold weather down to-10 or so and not for long. We will be leaving in a week and haven't had a killing frost yet. But it will snow the day we leave. You can bank on it.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:28 PM   #6
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
We do like Glenn said give a key to our niece. Turn power off to water heater & set thermostat to lowest setting. Don't forget to load Golf clubs.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We do more or less as others have suggested. You can get a device that will dial a number if the temperature drops a set limit.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote