Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
“Look’s like we will keep it…”

Those were Marsha’s words after we backed the Montana into the back yard with no incident after our outing to South Carolina.

There is a reason for those words, as some of you know. We have struggled with backing, with only one good experience—when we went to Unicoi SP for spring break. Every other time has been a nightmare, especially when putting it into our yard.

Thursday night, however, we put it into the same spot to the passenger side that was our nemesis the first time we took it out, but this time with no troubles. I was impressed, but we both knew that home was going to be the test. Well, we put it on our gravel pad in 12 minutes today, backing probably over 250 feet with two curves in opposite direstions.

It was then that Marsha declared we might just keep it. I know she was having SERIOUS doubts we would ever show progress. Still, I think we can see some light at the end of the tunnel, but backing will always command a healthy respect from me.

Those of you who said we would get it eventually, well, I just might be willing to believe after all. Like Fox Mulder, I wanted to believe, but our track record was not showing so well. Keep a good thought for us in the future!

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I knew you could do it!! Outstanding!! Backing should always demand respect. But you did it!! Congratulations.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Congratulations! That is a BIG achievement! Our dream is to have a pullthrough storage spot some day. For now we can only dream.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 12:50 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Way to go! That is a very long ways to back it up! By now I'm sure you figured out it's best to take it slow and easy. Before you know it you will have mentally established checkpoints at which you begin your turn, end your turn, etc., and you may not even realize it. Good going, J.D. and Marsha! (I bet John could do it, J.D.!)
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Keep on backing and you will become a pro......In your photo, is that taken at Alexander State Park?
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 02:56 PM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Thanks, everyone! It was a good feeling to watch the Montana go where I wanted it to go.

Steve, well, John IS the gifted one in the family, so…

Just148, that picture was taken at Calhoun Falls SP in South Carolina. It is a beautiful campground on Lake Richard B. Russell.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Just keep it up. It will get better.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:21 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I had the little box trailer out on Saturday to take some stuff to the landfill and I had a harder time backing it up than I do with the 5th.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:41 AM   #9
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Congratulations! When I was on the ranch it took me a long time to learn to back the stock trailers and hay wagons. I wouldn't even attempt the 5er - I'll just leave that up to the hubby - he drove trucks for many years and is much more skilled than I!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote