Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #21
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grayghost03

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

Thanks seahunter. I have looked at some of the other ones in the past. Really didn't like the looks of them. This one looks very practical and would look good on my 2012 F350. I will be ordering Monday morning so I can get it on before my trip north in April.
Be aware, that if you are going to use it as a bike carrier, I measured my Chevy this morning. That with my rack which drops pretty good, if I came straight out from the tow hooks for the receiver, my 26" bikes would be 9" above the hood, don't have a Ford here at the house to compare to.
Thanks for doing that John! Definitely something to consider as that would probably get annoying and be dangerous for visibility. The rack I'm looking at is even higher than the hitch level, so it would really be tall (Thule 990XT) It looks like a few inches would be gained with a "traditional" hitch that mounts lower, I just hate to cut into the lower valance on the truck in order to mount it.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #22
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Just looking at avoiding problems, if you can find a bike rack that comes straight out of the receiver or modify it to do so, it might work out ok.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #23
rafael33155
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13290
Send a message via MSN to rafael33155
i got front hitch from curt they make them specifically for your truck
i love it no more hassle with where to put the bikes
rafael33155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #24
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rafael33155

i got front hitch from curt they make them specifically for your truck
i love it no more hassle with where to put the bikes
Thanks Rafael. I'll check them out.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:39 AM   #25
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Bodiak has shipped my front hitch. Got the black powder coat finish instead of the chrome. When I get it mounted I will start my search for the best bike carrier to use so the bikes don't block my view. Bodiak is kind of slow shipping out their products.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:18 AM   #26
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Bodiak has shipped my front hitch. Got the black powder coat finish instead of the chrome. When I get it mounted I will start my search for the best bike carrier to use so the bikes don't block my view. Bodiak is kind of slow shipping out their products.
That might mean they make them as they get the order instead of stocking several different sizes. Good looking product though. Make sure you post pictures when you get it installed.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #27
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The only long term curiosity here is that I recall the Curt or Hidden Hitch bolt on front hitches had higher ratings (9,000 lb) and the Bodiak is only 8,000 lb. I only bring this up because the curb weight of my TV is 8140 empty and about 8,500 when in towing gear configuration (passengers, gadgets, hitch, etc.) and exceeds the Bodiak's rating if I ever have to pull myself out of a bind. The 9,000 lb rating covers my truck and the weight of the winch, but not the Bodiak's 8,000 lb rating.

But if only for carrying bikes it should be fine. I do like how easy it attaches. Note, since the tongue weight for the Bodiak is 500lbs and the Curt or Hidden Hitch has 600 lbs do not carry scooters, golf carts or cargo exceeding these weights. The heavier ratings are when the objects are heavy but not all the weight is on the tongue of these hitches (like pushing a trailer around, or using a winch to tow your vehicle out of a bind).

I do not have the skills or the equipment to do my own, so I like these options. If carrying bicycles and their wheels cover the headlamps, I'd just remove the bike's wheels and hang them on the bike carrier. Would add some time and effort but sometimes you do what you gotta do.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #28
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

Thanks for keeping us posted. Agree with other post on shipping, I believe they are built upon order. So far I like this rack:

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produc...90xt-_-5776509

If you can, post some pics with the new rack installed!
Old 03-16-2014, 06:04 AM   #29
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
Thanks seahunter for the front hitch info. Ordered one today.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #30
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snowbirds R us

Thanks seahunter for the front hitch info. Ordered one today.
Excellent, you'll have to let us know how you like it!

Old 03-23-2014, 04:26 AM   #31
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Received the Bodiak front hitch and installed it. Quality looked good and it installed in about 10 minutes. Doesn't cover up fog lamps but it did cover up my front license plate, which will be easy to raise later. Stopped by Walmart and picked up a Reese Bicycle rack for 2 bikes (cheap $79.00 one). I made the adjustments and put the bikes on there without lowering handlebars/seats just to see how they would ride. Plenty of ground clearance. The bikes came up above my hood several inches but sitting in the driver's seat it really didn't block my vision. I will try to post the pics or e-mail them to seahunter to post.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:21 AM   #32
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Now that the bikes are in front, and they will stop the bugs first, I'd get some "shower caps" to put around the seat and possibly the handlebars and maybe something around the chain. Towing around California like we do and with so many swarmy insects, the bikes are gonna get barraged with dying insects so I'm guessing it could be worse in other parts of the country. It is not recommended you use complete bike covers because you don't really want to block the radiator intake or your view.

I do like the ease of install of the Bodiak but I'm leaning toward the Curt or Hidden Hitch, since the ease of install means it might be easy to remove, too (by someone else and not me).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #33
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Yep bugs will be there for sure, our bikes have the quick release seats, 10 seconds and they are in the tool box. But I always put DW bike up front seems to keep mine a lot cleaner.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #34
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

Received the Bodiak front hitch and installed it. Quality looked good and it installed in about 10 minutes. Doesn't cover up fog lamps but it did cover up my front license plate, which will be easy to raise later. Stopped by Walmart and picked up a Reese Bicycle rack for 2 bikes (cheap $79.00 one). I made the adjustments and put the bikes on there without lowering handlebars/seats just to see how they would ride. Plenty of ground clearance. The bikes came up above my hood several inches but sitting in the driver's seat it really didn't block my vision. I will try to post the pics or e-mail them to seahunter to post.
Oops, just saw this about posting the pics.

Here we go:

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9f4a2692.jpg

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...psefe7d04b.jpg

The size of your pictures (1024 x 768 pixels) exceeds the MOC guidelines. http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=40141 They have been changed to links. Please reduce the size before re-posting. Please email or PM me if you require assistance.
CRAFT-Guy