Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2014, 12:42 AM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Power outages & generators

In the past week the power in the whole campground went out twice. The duration was short term and wasn't really an issue for us, but we got to thinking what would happen if we had a long failure while we were out and the dogs were inside on a hot day. I know several people who have emergency generators in their stick homes that have an interlock to start and stop automatically with power interruptions. Is there any such interlock available for the built in generator in the Montana?

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:50 AM   #2
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Yes there is.

http://www.cumminsonan.com/autostart/

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:16 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Does this only work with Cummins/Onan (The diagram only shows their brand? Does anyone have one (what brand of generator and does it work? How long does it take for the autostart after shore power failure?

Maybe a similar product is available with other generators. I already have an expensive Honda portable setup. I have used it twice for 1 to 2 hours because of campground mishaps, but I was Home and able to setup the Hondas up and fire them up because we got some warning. I wonder if this feature is avaiable and securable for a portable setup (I doubt I'd be going anywhere during this time so the only dog needing A/C would be me) and not having to get up for this would be nice.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:27 AM   #4
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
You could find something that would work. But your generators must be electric start. Nothing on the market will work with pull cords.

If you had a built-in generator. Then all the transfer switching is there for you already.

IF not then You can buy a transfer switch aftermarket.

You could do something with a couple of time delay relays and a shore power sense circuit to automatically start a generator. You'll have to also sense when the generator starts and not have it continously cranking the starter motor. You could sense the stator winding voltage or the voltage from the generators internal alternator to stop the start sequence.

There are a host of other considerations to make. Like low oil shutdown, Thermal overload and many, many others to ponder.

Then there is issue of when breaking down camp. Is the generator going to automatically start everytime you intentionally disconnect shore power?

Don't play with electricity it can be terminal.

You may need a licensed electrician to do this work.

Speaking of work,

I'm not a licensed electrican but here is what I was fixing last week.

A Radar modulator,
negative 120KV DC at 4amps isolated from earth.
Within this is a +32KV DC bias supply
Within this is a -1KV AC screen grid circuit
Within this is a +500V DC control grid circuit.
Plus the normal 5V 15V dc logic control circuits.

The problem was within the 1KV screen circuit and another beam switch vacuum tube.

Oh ya and this is all (except for the 120KV stuff)contained in a tank full of oil about the width of the wheel wells of our trucks.

Earth ground is at the top of an eleven foot tall vacuum tube.

What does it do. Its a fast 1000 x per second high speed switch for the 120KV DC circuit that supplies the final amplifier Klystrons.

So I know how deadly electricity can be.

I've never claimed to know more than anyone else, either.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Does this only work with Cummins/Onan (The diagram only shows their brand? Does anyone have one (what brand of generator and does it work? How long does it take for the autostart after shore power failure?

Maybe a similar product is available with other generators. I already have an expensive Honda portable setup. I have used it twice for 1 to 2 hours because of campground mishaps, but I was Home and able to setup the Hondas up and fire them up because we got some warning. I wonder if this feature is avaiable and securable for a portable setup (I doubt I'd be going anywhere during this time so the only dog needing A/C would be me) and not having to get up for this would be nice.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I haven't even thought about gen-sets since trading in our diesel pusher, which was Cummins/Onan and always worked like a charm.
'uhftx' - sounds like you are an ex-military radar tech. I was on the computer side of things in the Sage environment and got to see the radar techs work with their high power sets a lot. John
Old 02-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Our Onan can be set to auto start based on lack of AC power (it goes off) or when the batteries discharge to a certain point. When properly programed it will also shut it's self off at designated times for CG Quiet Hours.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:49 AM   #7
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
If you have they time and money, almost anything can be arranged. Several manufacturers offer auto start up on gensets. They add weight and take storage space. And most generators require fuel and maintenance.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote