Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
And we talk about the kids

We had a tour scheduled for two classes of 4th graders today at 10:15am. I was sure they would cancel since it was pouring rain, 40 degrees and the wind was blowing all morning. All of our tours are outdoors, we have one open air class room that holds one class at a time and everything else we do is out and about in the park. The teachers and classes showed up and insisted that they wanted the outdoor part of the tour. Luckily the rain changed to heavy snow and snowed several inches as we toured the park. The teachers claimed to have told the families to dress the kids warmly, but a number of them had on shorts and light jackets. One had no jacket at all. We suited them up with trash bags, but that was the best we could do. The head teacher was with me and twice I tried to get her to return to the bus, but she insisted we finish the majority of the tour. By the time they left many of the kids were freezing (literally) but the head teacher insisted it was a great field trip especially since several of the kids have never seen snow. The bus wasn't even out of the gate of the parking lot when the weight of the snow brought a full sized Palo Verde tree down right across the entrance to the Visitor Center where they had just loaded the kids on the bus. Between the teachers who thought a tour was a good idea and the parents who sent kids on a field trip in this weather wearing shorts you really have to wonder what this world is coming to. And let's don't forget the Education Director at our place who saw no reason to cancel the tour either.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Wow! In our part of the country school will sometimes get canceled and students will get sent home when the weather turns bad.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
Nothing is more important than being dressed for the weather. Frostbite, hypothermia, and sickness can result from cold, wet weather.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
My wife was a 4th grade teacher until she retired this past Spring and I can tell you, she would have cancelled on a field trip like that. However, she has told me numerous times about other teachers who did not in similar circumstances. She also used to tell me (all the time) about kids dressed in shorts and T-shirts in cold weather. She would tell the parents but nothing changed so it seems to be a universal situation. BTW, she taught at a Parochial school so no "golden parachute" for her . But that was fine with her because she loved it!
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I work in an outdoor amusement park which opens in Iowa in mid-April- It is very common for the school kids to come in inclement weather dressed for July 4th- I, in my long johns, shiver in sympathy for those young people who are of course indistructable- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
You see the kids doing it all the time; shorts and t-shirt in winter, some kid wearing pants and a vest only with no shirt walking on a cold street and
they seem perfectly happy....I think the saying of "No Pain, No Brain" would fit here perfectly.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote