Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
Hawkpat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11612
Lowering tv antenna

When we turn the crank to lower the antenna, the antenna itself turns about 1/4 inch and catches on the notch on the roof. The antenna turn plate insid the camper does not move just the antenna on the roof. So I have to get on the roof to completely lower the antenna.

Anyone have any idea how I can fix this? Does the plate inside the camper need to be tightened?

Thanks for any advice.

Hawkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:51 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Have you lined up the arrows on the crank?
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Hawkpat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11612
Yes. That plate does not move. It stays right on the arrows. It is the antenna body itself that moves when the crank is moved making me think there is not a solid connection between the antenna and the arrows plate.
Hawkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Get someone to watch the antenna as you crank it down. As a stopgap, you might offset the antenna by the amount it moves so that it will seat itself. It sounds like something isn't tightened down properly in the mechanism, though.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
JeffBusarow
Established Member

M.O.C. #12116
Had same problem. I actually poked through the antenna shaft with one of the guides while trying to lower it. Then the set screw for the crank handle stripped and all the guide parts fell down on the bed. Now when I lower it (14 cranks), I go outside before down all the way to make sure it seats properly.
JeffBusarow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
We had that same problem with our old trailer. It was in fact the mechanism. It had loosened up and needed to be tightened. The plate (not the one that is fixed) and the antenna on the roof had a tightening set up. We found it in the instruction manual. Then with the new MONTY we fond that it is 13.5 turns to get it to go flat but you feel it. Good luck! That is so frustrating when something that seems so simple goes wrong!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
We just recently had the same problem. The antenna needs to be tightened. There is a special tool that you can use from the inside after removing the crank. Your dealer should have this tool or you can buy one for $20.

Chip

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #8
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chip

We just recently had the same problem. The antenna needs to be tightened. There is a special tool that you can use from the inside after removing the crank. Your dealer should have this tool or you can buy one for $20.

Chip
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!

I am soooo glad my warranty ended. I had the same thing happen. When we did our walk around picking up the new rig they put up the antenna. After putting it down I noticed it didn't look flat with the roof. When I mentioned this to them one guy climbed up on the roof. Well it looked flat after that. We took the rig out on it's first trip, put up the antenna. Experienced the same issue you described. When I climbed up I found the fork had punctured the upright arm like described. Took it back to the dealer, they replaced the antenna. Here is the GOOD part. The same thing always happens when retracting. I found loosely lowering until resistance, then up about half crank. Then down will drop it between the forks correctly. LOOSE, SPECIAL TOOL!!! This is exactly why RV manufacturers and dealers get a bad rap. They are usually bad!

RANT: I had called with issues so many times the service writer knew me by my voice on the phone. Rig was back so many times and so many things replaced or adjusted I gave up on the warranty with 4 months left on it. I'm replacing/fixing things myself so I know it will be done right./RANT

bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
BighornRam... not that I had an antenna problem, but I was happy when the warranty was up, too. I found that taking care of things myself was cheaper, more convenient and I always left things better than they were. Plus I was able to learn so much I have helped other people many times.

So far, I have been able to take care of things myself, but one day, I will end up with something needing help. That's when the MOC gets involved.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

BighornRam... not that I had an antenna problem, but I was happy when the warranty was up, too. I found that taking care of things myself was cheaper, more convenient and I always left things better than they were. Plus I was able to learn so much I have helped other people many times.

So far, I have been able to take care of things myself, but one day, I will end up with something needing help. That's when the MOC gets involved.
Art-n-Marge: Absolutely, well stated.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote