Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Level up on batteries only?

Is it possible to use level up on batteries only? Ever time that I've tried it hasn't worked. My dual 6 volts are new so I know that the batteries are not the problem.
Thanks
Michael

mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Yes, it is possible. We do it every time we set up!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I don't mean to insult anyone, but are you sure you have your 6 Volt Batteries connected properly to supply 12 Volts to the unit?? We too generally have our rig leveled using the Level-Up system prior to our EMS timing out and applying power to the rig. Have never had a problem, but don't have 6 Volt Batts, have dual Group 29 12 Volts Batts.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The dual 6v should have NO problem with Level Up or any other 12v situation. I hope the battery connection comment is not taken wrong, but like Michelle and Ann mention, that would be the first thing to check since this has never worked.

Make sure the 6v batteries are connected in series. For example, Battery ONE negative connected to the rig ground, then the battery ONE positive connected to the battery TWO negative (note: not the positive). Then connect the battery TWO positive to the rig Positive!

If you don't do this you are only getting 6V to the rig and while some things might work (lights running at 6v) it is not a good thing to do because motors don't like running at lower voltage.

You can check this by measuring the volts at the Level up motor (and anything else you can get to for that matter. If you put the meter on the - and + of the motor you should be reading a little more than 12 volts. If you are reading way less then the batteries are not installed correctly.

If the batteries are connected in series we'll have to rethink things like the batteries are somehow not connected (disconnect switch or something else).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
X2 what snfexpress wrote.

Quote:
quote:
Ever time that I've tried it hasn't worked
Can you elaborate on "hasn't worked"? What were you trying to do, how were you doing it, and what results/symptom/sounds/etc occured?

What do you do to make it work?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The few times we've used our Level Up system we used batteries and shore power. When we are preparing to leave the unit is still hooked up to shore power. Thus we know it works when hooked to shore power. The last thing we do is disconnect the shore power..... Well most of the time we unhook it! Don't get out of your routine!

When we arrive at a CG we use our batteries only. Our setup process calls for the electrical connection be made after we have it leveled.

Definitely sounds like you have a wiring and or battery issue of some sort. Good luck and let us know what you find out. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
rollie41
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6844
We set up and tear down on battries only also.
rollie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

The dual 6v should have NO problem with Level Up or any other 12v situation. I hope the battery connection comment is not taken wrong, but like Michelle and Ann mention, that would be the first thing to check since this has never worked.

Make sure the 6v batteries are connected in series. For example, Battery ONE negative connected to the rig ground, then the battery ONE positive connected to the battery TWO negative (note: not the positive). Then connect the battery TWO positive to the rig Positive!

If you don't do this you are only getting 6V to the rig and while some things might work (lights running at 6v) it is not a good thing to do because motors don't like running at lower voltage.

You can check this by measuring the volts at the Level up motor (and anything else you can get to for that matter. If you put the meter on the - and + of the motor you should be reading a little more than 12 volts. If you are reading way less then the batteries are not installed correctly.

If the batteries are connected in series we'll have to rethink things like the batteries are somehow not connected (disconnect switch or something else).
keeping it simple with 6 volts half voltage all DC lights would be very dim as well as slides,landing gear would run very slow or not at all!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:28 AM   #9
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We never connect shore power before leveling and have never had a problem with power to the leveling system in over 100 set ups.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Not a problem...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It's designed to work on the 12-volt battery.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
That's what I thought, batteries are hooked up correctly, landing legs go down, slides come in and go out, but when I try to use the automatic leveler, the screen goes blank and nothing happens, I've tried it three times same result every time. I guess I had better have that looked at.
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There are reset procedures for your levelup system. If it were mine, I would try the reset protocol before taking it to the shop.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote