Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Meteorite hunting tools

The area we are in is great for finding the scarce rascals, the desert climate is friendly in that way. There are Meteorites all over the world, but not easy to find in most climates. We found you need a magnet, or metal detector, we used magnets, I made a couple of tools for this search. The TV guys, The 'Meteorite Men' use a magnet held on by duct tape, I drilled a wood piece, fit a driveway marker in it and glued the wood and magnet on it, I adapted a walking stick I made and a construction magnet also. Gots to have the right tools....

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Ozz, what you need is one of those junk yard cranes with the huge electromagnet. That way, not only would it find them, it would pick them up for you too!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Watch when you pick up those meteorites! You might find an alien attached to one of them!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Looks like what you made will do the trick, be sure to examine those small pieces as there are fragments of irons out there or at least on the north side of the tracks, the bigger ones you will find are stonies as we call them, they are getting harder to find but they are out there, just last year i saw a couple in the 600-700 gram size. The farther north you go towards the base of the hills I think is better as most folks don't have a quad and don't want to walk that far, both side of the highway have been pounded but are still being found.
With a metal detector you want to use the all metal mode if possible or the least amount of discrimination your detector will give you. That area was a firing range for Pattion I believe and detectors find all those 30 and 50 cal rounds as well as belt links. Lots of fun hunting meteorites. The other place we hunt is way north of Frankonia at Gold Basin which are mostly stonie irons. You will usually find a few of these for sale on E-Bay.
You will find alot of iron rocks or hot rocks but that goes with the game, if in dought of what it is hang on to it till someone tells you what it is. Lots of fun and good exercise.
Allen
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Allen, good information. We had a ball. We were right next to the Dept. of Interior's wilderness area north of the tracks in Franconia strewn field. Wish I had my detector, left it home... Sue found a very large carriage bolt and nut, part of that train wreck I think many years ago, she found it about 1/4 mile from the tracks.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
Ozz, it was nice seeing you again hope you told Sue hi for us. We left Havasu this morning for home, where did you end up?
gr8330 is offline   Reply With Quote