Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #21
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I just had my tire guy order five B.F. Goodrich Commercial TA tires. He'll have them tomorrow. Then I'll send the marathon bombs back to Goodyear (actually, they will pick them up at the tire shop). So far, GY has been pleasant to work with. They sent me a claim form for the trailer damage and said that they will make adjustments on the damaged tires. I'll feel a whole lot better with new skins on the Monty.

NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #22
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Jim - just got back from ordering my new BFGs as well. I feel better just having the Marathons off my rig. The one tire not only had sidewall failure, but it also was having belt issues - it was about 1.5 inches taller than the other, just like yours. The guy at the shop said it looked like a retread. Seriously??? More to follow on that.

Thanks for answering all of my questions (and thanks to Lonnie too).
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #23
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
How wonderful o the new order and repair claim, you'll be back ib business real soon
Old 08-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #24
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Jim, What are the full specs on your new BFGs? Want to make a note and probably upgrade on the spring or before. Thanks, Tim
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #25
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
B.F.Goodrich Commercial TA LT235/85 R16. This was one of the tires recommended by Lonnieb. The others were Firestone Transforce HT and Goodyear Duravis 250. There are other good brand name tires out there also. They all have a weight rating of 3042#. The Marathon's have a weight rating of 3420#. This is because they are rated for 65 MPH and no passengers. If your trailer weighs no more than 13200# at the axles (trailer weight minus tongue weight) the LT tires will be fine. I hope this helps. I've learned a lot these past few days with Lonnie's help.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #26
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Went to the Panama City RV dealer to pick up my wet bolt kit and x factor. While there I looked at the Montana's. Marathons on all. Told the sales rep about all the bad stuff I've heard about the Marathons and his reply was "quit reading that stuff, not true". My BS meter went off all over him.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #27
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Mike,
Give me his address and I'll mail him the tread from my tire. He can hang it on his wall. It will make a nice decoration. It certainly wasn't much good as a tire.
Jim
Old 08-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #28
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Sent it to your e-mail.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #29
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Jim, is that the tire that you had to add air to before leaving the ralley?

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #30
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
John,
Yes, that was the tire. It held pressure until it blew. I was watching the TPMS closely. One tire on the other side was ready to go also, it had a broken tread.
Jim
Old 09-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #31
Jo_Hine
Established Member

M.O.C. #10609
Now I'm really concerned after reading this thread. We are suppose to pick up our Monty in a couple of weeks. Should I just go out and buy new tires now? We will be doing some long distance traveling over the next few months. Any suggestions?
Jo_Hine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #32
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Get rid of the Marathons. Try doing what I did years ago when I bought a new car. I didn't want the brand tires that came with the car and the dealer didn't want to change them with tires from another car on his lot. I waited until I had to make just one more signature and the car was mine. I looked at the dealer and brought up the tires again. I told him that if he didn't change the tires I was going to walk away and started to get up. Different tires for my signature. I drove that car for years. See if you can make a deal for an upgrade. I would be willing to pay the difference for better tires. I paid $800.00 for five tires mounted and balanced. Find out what Marathons cost and offer them the difference if they'll mount and balance them and install metal valve stems. It's worth a shot and you will have peace of mind. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:15 AM   #33
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
NCFischers did you have to buy new rims or did the BFG's fit on the stock rim?
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:31 AM   #34
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
They fit on the stock 6 inch rims.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:58 AM   #35
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
Those pictures Jim posted are not a good thing, I ordered the wet shackle kit a couple weeks back, and decided after reading this post to take a hard look at the existing Goodyear tires when they were off the trailer. About 3 weeks ago we had one tire that was low on air from sitting, all were 78 pounds, one was 52 pounds, I removed it and had it fixed, it was a staple, we towed it another 1000 miles or so, upon return I replaced the shackles, another subject, but our Montana has about 12-15000 miles on it and is 18 months old, all I can say is get the wet bolt kit, ours were very worn. Back to the tires, on our last trip parked next to us was a 5th wheel that was a few years old, he had just installed Goodyear tires, the same as our Montana's have new, one blew out at 400 miles, the other blew at 900 miles, all fully inflated, he has a claim in with Goodyear also, the damage to his rig is extensive, that got me thinking a lot, then Jim Fischer posted his story. When I removed one side of the trailer tires for the shackle install I washed them well to examine them, one had large blisters on the inside, and the other had small blisters on the outside, I think they were ready to blow, I replaced all 5 tires, no more made in China on our Montana, I went with the advise of Jim, and also Lonnie (thank you both), I installed B F Goodrich T/A Commercial LT tires, I wanted to keep the height down so I went with LT 245/75/16, they fit great, look good also, they are also a bit heavier than the original tires, Sam's Club had them in stock at $149 ea, plus balance, I really feel better not having to worry about blowouts. Just one more thing, on the drivers side of the Montana the brake control wires run down from the frame floor area to the axle, mine were rubbing on the spring, not good, I recommend you cover them with a wire cover, any big home center has it, I used 3/8", it just snaps over the wires to protect them, also the leaf springs are dry, no plastic inserts between leaves as a lot of truck springs have, a good soaking of WD-40 or similar should help, with annual applications.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 AM   #36
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
I had the same problem with Westlake tires. I had three of them lose their tread with less than 3000 miles. The fourth one I replaced before it could lose its tread. Fortunately the dealer I purchased them from gave me my money back which will take care of the deductable on my insurance for the latest repairs. Each time I had a tire problem it was on the road and I didn't have any choice what I replaced the blowout with. Now I have three different manufacturers on the Monty. All but one of my blowouts (I've had 5) occured on the right side. Can't wait to talk to Keystone, Lippart and Morride about possible chassis problems.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:43 AM   #37
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
You will always have more tire problems on the right side, more stuff on the road near the side than in the center of the road.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote