Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Big Step!

We have it! Our 2011 Silverado one ton is here! It is an amazing truck. Walt is in Big Boy Heaven! Lynne, well, not so much.

Here is the hassle. It is a gorgeous vehicle with one problem from my point of view. Now, I'm an old, fat lady with a bad knee. Stepping up into the truck or down from it is ONE BIG STEP! It's like climbing the face of a mountain to get in and an attempt at a controlled fall or a giant leap of faith to get down! We DO have the running boards and they sure are pretty. However, they are installed (per specs) right under the door edge so they really don't do much to shorten the climb or fall.

Am I the only one with this problem? Has anyone out there found a solution or have any suggestions? I sure would appreciate it!

Thanks, Lynne

WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
Lynne,

We have dealt with the same situation since we took delivery of our 2003 GMC 2500HD 7 years ago - short legs, bad knees and all!

Our solutions - 1st of all, I chose the aftermarket Weston Nerf style step bars - mounted down from the cab - with just enough room to be useable to step up on. This style bar looks great and is very functional.

Secondly, and probably most importantly, we carry a single step Rubbermaid step - with a piece of 1/4" rope attached thru a hole drilled in one side. The rope is long enough - with a loop tied in the end - so it can be slipped onto the door handle and used to retrieve the step after you are in the cab. Just set the step over the seat into the back seat for use next time - works like a charm - cheap insurance against a twisted knee or worse.

Ed Benson
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I did the Nerf bars and also picked up one of the folding plastic steps form Camping World or Wall Mart. Both work well to help.
Good luck and congratulations on the new truck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I use the step stool when I take my 4'10" mother in the truck. Her knees are also bad and this works for her.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We purchased after market running boards that are not the tube type but flat and wide. We also use the folding step stool. It really is the best solution. The night we purchased the truck, we were taking it home. The running boards were not installed yet. I couldn't get in the truck and the dealer did not have any type of stool so they finally found a box for me to stand on!

Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Like Sue, we have the wide flat running boards and also, when Carol had her knee replacement, we additionally used a folding step stool. In total,it worked like a charm, bad knees and all.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #7
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
This is one way to gohttp://www.ultimateautoaccessories.com/Category%20Pages/Power_Step.htm
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
priceml, that is one sharp looking step. Wish I had seen them earlier. I had the Westin Tubes installed. Serves the prupose for much less dinero....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Check out Amp Research retractable running boards. I have them and love them.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We had custom running boards on our previous truck it that came with it. They went bad and had to be replaced. I put on the nurf running boards and never did like them because they were too high and close to the door. I tried to get someone to mount them lower but couldn’t find anyone that would do it. I like a wide flat step like the one we now have on our Ford. If I had to do it again I would consider the step mentioned here if I couldn’t replace it with what I now have.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
We had factory installed retractables on two previous Lincoln Navigators. Never had any trouble, save a loose bolt one time. They worked great. Not availabel as an option on the F350, though, or we would have got 'em!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:09 AM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
When we got the 06 Duramax we asked for Nerf style bars instead of the running boards. The last three vehicles we had that had running boards always loaded up with mud, sand and gravel no matter where we went. It always looked terrible and we ended up dragging most of it into the trucks... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #13
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I've taught people to use the opposite foot first when getting in. Not intuitive, but my 85-year-old aunt did it and sailed in and out.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We have stock running boards on our truck...fine for me, but wife needs a modified step stool (plastic stool with a hole drilled in the center with a rope through the hole to facilitate retrieving the stool after in getting in the cab. Works for us.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote