Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #21
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
There is a provision for taking long guns into Canada. It involves a multi page form and the payment of a fee, around $50.00 or so. No provision for handguns whatsoever. I found it to be enough trouble that I just left my guns at home. If I were going to Alaska, though, I would probably go through the hassle for a rifle or shotgun. Type Firearms Canada into your search engine, and the website will come up, with a downloadable form.

Good luck!

P.S. There may be some merit in checking your firearms on this side of the border with a gunshop, but I think you would have to inquire locally.

scattershot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #22
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Any gun you bring won't be much good to you for anything but hunting. If you plan on using it to defend yourself you will probably end up wishing you hadn't.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:59 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by buschet1

Just last fall I was asking the same questions about transporting firearms across state lines. I came across an advertisement in Trailer Life magazine from a lawyer in Florida that has compiled all the info by state as to what you can do and can not do. Also he tells you which states have reciprocity laws. I can’t remember the web address right now, but if anyone is interested I all pass it along tomorrow. The book cost is 12 bucks. I found it very interesting reading and informative. I just applied for a carry permit here in PA. Lots of other states will honor the PA license and some won’t. Plus I am planning a trip to Alaska in 2009 up the ALCAN Hwy. And found that you can transport a some firearms across the border with the proper permits that are not that difficult to get from what I understand Provided you don’t have a criminal record.
This may help.. We have a Ohio, Pa and NH carry permit are are good at last count, in 33 states. http://www.handgunlaw.us/
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #24
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm not trying to stir anything up with this post, but to give some reason for thinking.

Isn't the RV you are towing considered your "home?" If so, does it fall under the 2nd amendment and the right to bear arms? I'm not saying to carry it in your TV, but to keep it in the trailer, which you consider "home." for you full timers, this is a no brainer, but for those of us who maintain a stick house, it could be pushing it a little. Any legal begals out there with some information on this?

Edited: Ooops! Just don't cross international borders with one. I was refereing to the 48 U.S.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:09 AM   #25
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Wayne, you are right but the is a state or two in NE that you have to be carefule of. They even have signs when entering their state. "No Americ.... er Guns permitted"
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #26
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Un-American!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:08 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We live just across the pond in NW Ohio and have crossed the border many times. Do not attempt to get a hand gun across the border..If you are caught it will not be a pleasant experience In fact leave all firearms at home or in the US.You can get long guns across but IMO not worth the effort. You need to check all the regs on crossing the border in both countries. There are things that you can get into Canada but can not bring back into the US. If you are stopped for a routine inspection and you never know when that might happen, Lack of knowledge of the regs in both countries can cost you much money and time. We usually cross at Port Huron/Sarnia. It is normally less crowded there at any given time..
A passport really helps.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:47 AM   #28
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
No one mentions the worst thing that could happen Your significent other will never let u forget it!!!
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:17 AM   #29
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We live just across the pond in NW Ohio and have crossed the border many times. Do not attempt to get a hand gun across the border..If you are caught it will not be a pleasant experience In fact leave all firearms at home or in the US.You can get long guns across but IMO not worth the effort. You need to check all the regs on crossing the border in both countries. There are things that you can get into Canada but can not bring back into the US. If you are stopped for a routine inspection and you never know when that might happen, Lack of knowledge of the regs in both countries can cost you much money and time. We usually cross at Port Huron/Sarnia. It is normally less crowded there at any given time..
A passport really helps.
An excellent post with much pertinent information. Well done Rich.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:07 AM   #30
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Stopped for the first time by a Gander Sports Store yesterday and checked it out. Walked thru the gun section, looked at the hand guns and some of the rifles. Noticed they sell Tasers and immediately thought of this thread. My thought was a Taser might be a viable option to carrying a handgun into Canada. Wrong....they too are prohibited in Canada.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:57 AM   #31
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Yep, pepper spray is prohibited, too. Bear spray, on the other hand, is O.K. Same stuff.....
scattershot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #32
Diamond
Established Member

M.O.C. #715
We are fulltimers who have crossed into Canada to visit the eastern Maritimes and this past summer for 2 1/2 months in Alaska. We carry items with us that are not permitted "over the border" and both times we have rented a small storage unit in a large US city near the border where we have left these items. Plus in both instances we added stored things we knew we would not need while in Canada, thereby lessening the weight of our rig (especially to Alaska). The only negative to this is you need to go in and back out at the same area to retrieve your belongings. When we were in the Maritimes, the customs agents searched a motorhome, found a number of firearms, threw the owner in jail and confiscated his rig. No way is it worth it to try and smuggle anything in. Always tell the truth in case you are searched. Both times we had over the limit on alcohol going into Canada, but we were honest and they let us go on with our stash. But handguns are a definite NO-NO.
Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote