Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2007, 02:25 AM   #1
bulbrich
Established Member

M.O.C. #6869
Refrigerator Safety

I will be heading out as a full time RV'er Oct 22nd. One question or concern I have is: Is it safe to leave the frig on LP while traveling. I have heard horror stories of fires while traveling. I relize either I pull everything out and put into a cooler, but that really doesnt make a lot of sense. The Frig stays pretty good for about 4 hrs in moderate temps, but if one is traveling in AZ, it could get pretty hot. I look forward to your replys and solutions.

bulbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:02 AM   #2
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
I'm sure you will get opinions on both sides of this issue, but I think I can safely say that the majority travel with the fridge turned on (except when refueling). I have only been rv-ing for about 3 years, but we have always traveled with the fridge on and have not had any problems. I'm sure some have probably been doing it for 30 years without problems. Although I have also heard about fires caused by this, I think they are isolated incidents when you consider the number of rv's on the road and the huge number of miles they travel. Turning the fridge off would certainly be an inconvenience, but some do it for peace of mind. The bottom line is, it is your decision as to whether you feel safe or not. Good luck and happy travels.
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:02 AM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Dometic was here at the MOC Rally yesterday and the speaker said that as long as we turned the gas off prior to tunnels and in fuel stations we were good to go. We travel with the gas on for the refrigerator. Enjoy the new journey.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
The refrig and the camper are designed to run with the refrig on. We've been doing it since the early 70s, never had a problem.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Well I have had a motorhome burn to the ground because I ran the fridge while traveling.

I had the propane tank filled in the valley, a 90 degree day, and we headed to the hills. Driving down a dirt road at about 4,000 feet I heard a loud "whee" noise and looked in the side mirror and holy S**T the whole back was on fire.

Slamed on the brakes and bailed out the front door. I had 4 teenage boys with me. We were on our way to a Search and Rescue training weekend. We stood in the road and watched as it burned until the 357 rounds started popping off and then we ducked.

The best we were able to figure is the "whee" noise was the saftey vavle popping open and then sticking.

In as much as the propane tank was located along side the frame about 4 feet in front of where the fridge was located and of course it was on, had to keep the beer cold, the propane flowing back down the side of the motorhome ignited when it got by the fridge vent.

Those things sure burn up in a hurry.

I still drove with the fridge on in the replacement motorhome and also in my new 5er. I think the big difference is the location of the propane tanks.

This is one of the reasons I have asked about driving with the heater on.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There are other threads with more discussions on the same topic. Personally, I travel with it on. Our Monty is in a storage lot so we go the day before a trip, turn fridge on, then load fridge before we leave. It is definitely a personal decision, if you are comfortable with it, so be it, if you are going to obsess constantly while travelling it would be better on your nerves to leave it off and go the cooler route. Good luck on your choice.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We travel with ours on. No problems since 79.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I travel with my fridge on as well.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I personally turn my propane off when I travel. Three or four hours of travelling with fridge off does not seem to make much difference in temp. I've read that some states require it off when you traverse a tunnel. I recently drove 199 from Medford, OR to Crescent City, CA and went through two tunnels. I don't know if OR or CA require it. I guess it is a personal choice. I choose to turn it off while running. Although a fire with resulting explosion is remote, this is my only home and don't feel that I should jeopardize my, or my DW's safety.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
My refer runs very well, however, last time I took a 3/5 hour run with the refer off, the temp went from 40 degrees to 64 degrees. That is a fairly significant change. Because the refers are absorption, it takes hours to get the temp back down. Now, it is a pain to stop and turn off the propane when taking on fuel, however, that is the price you must pay if you are going to travel with your refer on...so that's what I do.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #11
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
we travel with it on also. No probs.
mamashappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #12
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Ahhh one of the beauties or bennies of having a Rear Kitchen - far from the propane tanks and when I refuel the truck the fridge is so far away from the pump it is not funny. Granted I normally pull out and pass by a pump but any "pockets" of vapor are well disturbed by the time my fridge reaches them.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:01 PM   #13
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
We also travel with our fridge on. We have a rear kitchen too, but our fridge is not as far back as Bill and Lisa's is. We've been in some really hot weather and without it being on I'm sure we'd have had the food in the fridge reach and unsafe temp.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote