Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
How many miles is 12,000 km?

I've never used an additive and never had a problem. Hopefully I never will.

The current truck requires ULSD. So far, in 1662 miles of towing with this truck and 7,600 miles overall, I've only once been in a station that did not have ULSD. That station had one diesel pump, clearly marked LSD. On the other side of a pump was a new Duramax, not the Classic, and the driver was pumping this LSD into his truck. I rolled down the window and told him that is not ULSD. He looked at me like he didn't have a clue so I pulled on out and went to the next station to fill up my truck.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #22
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
>

I think that is about 7200 miles.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:55 AM   #23
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I do not waste my money on the diesel additives. I add injector cleaner once every six months. I try to stick with Marathon as my fuel of choice. I use their credit card which gives me a discount and after so many gallons a $25.00 fuel card. I stay away from the Wal-Mart fuels and all of the other discount store, fuel. I deliver travel trailers out of Goshen,IN part time and when I fill up with 136 gallons of fuel, I need to be as efficent as possible. I run a 2001 Dodge one ton, with not much of the engine or drive train stock. I visit with a lot of folks who also deliver trailers and not many use additives as they say they did not find any advantage when they tried them. They could not justify spending they money.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:33 AM   #24
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Steve every 100 kms is approx. 63 miles so 1000 kms is 630 miles 10,000 kms is 6300, and 12,000 kms is 7560 miles. I was going to e-mail the info about the 6.7L to you but decided that everyone that has a new Dodge could use the info. I hope the New Dodge is running well and you are happy with it. I can`t wait to order mine in October!! The dealer said it should take about 16 weeks to get it. That will take me into January, so I`ll have it for April to go down to the Keys.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:46 AM   #25
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Have owned several Diesels and did in the past use Diesel Kleen from Wally World but just didn't see any difference. However in the winter month if I happen to travel in very cold weather I will use a additives that prevents the fuel from jelling. The fuel companys put what ever additive that are needed. I haven't found any difference since the new type diesel came out. Have used it since last Nov in two different Duramax's a 2006 Chevy Kodiak, and now the 2007 Chevy classic both ran just fine. Good Luck on your choice... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mgdg

Steve every 100 kms is approx. 63 miles so 1000 kms is 630 miles 10,000 kms is 6300, and 12,000 kms is 7560 miles. I was going to e-mail the info about the 6.7L to you but decided that everyone that has a new Dodge could use the info. I hope the New Dodge is running well and you are happy with it. I can`t wait to order mine in October!! The dealer said it should take about 16 weeks to get it. That will take me into January, so I`ll have it for April to go down to the Keys.
I appreciate the info. Thanks. The new Dodge is 7 weeks old now and has 7,600 miles (1,662 towing). I really like driving it. Amazing throttle response. Vicki went shopping yesterday. On arriving home her first comment was "I really like driving that truck."
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:11 AM   #27
Dont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6371
Send a message via MSN to Dont Send a message via Yahoo to Dont
Hey I have been using power service and Marvell mystery oil and have increase my mileage by about 2 mile per gal on my 2004 dodge
Dont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:44 PM   #28
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
STANADYNE @ 55 cents a tank (15 gal) you can't go wrong. What is 55 cents to a $45.00 tank of fuel, with the possibility of an increase in fuel mileage the cost is not an issue with the other known benefits.

http://www.stanadyne.com/new/ppt/ppt_dfa.asp
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:27 AM   #29
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I will have to eat crow. I have printed in an early post that I would not use a fuel additive. I just got my new Sept. issue of Diesel Power Magazine which has a section, FUEL ADDITIVES: IS YOUR ENGINE IN DANGER? The story on how and what diesel was and is now is extensive. If you want the full story purchase the magazine. Here is a short part. DIESEL FUEL ADDITIVES; Until the '70s, there was little or no use of additives in diesel fuel. The product manufactured at most refinereies was generally a blend of straight-run atmospheric distillate components, and apart from the sulfer content, the desired specifications could be met without the need for user-supplied additives. Cold-weather performance was a concern, but the early diesel engine operators blended diesel with kerosene to eliminate gelling. Today's modern, electrically controled diesel engines can't use the same methods. In the U.S., where the enormous fuel market has necessitated a high level of downstream conversion to yield more gasoline, diesel fuel quality has suffered. More low-cetane diesel fuel is being diverted for vehicle consumption because it can no longer be absorbed by the shrinking market for domestic heating oil. For this reason, the diesel owner may need to use additives with the fuel if proper engine performance and long life are expected. Diesel Power Magazine recognized the need to educate the enthusiast and worked closely with Power Service Products to bring this technical primer to you. Power Service Products is a true diesel additive formulator with its own research, testing manufacturing , bottling and distribution network. Though there are many other additives brands on the market, we chose to work with Power Service Products because the company is involved in every step of the process and doesen't simply have someone else's product-good or bad bottled for them. The article tells about useing the proper amounts of additives because of the cost. If you have never used any additives you may want to add more in the first few fill-ups. A trained ear can tell a diesel engine that's suffering from many miles of untreated fuel. Everyone has the option to go with additives if they want. This is just some general magazine info.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #30
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
My vote is for the additives. How do you know for sure there's enough additive in the fuel to prevent problems? Just because the govt says so? I'll waste my money on additives just in case.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote