Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
xr7gt
Established Member

M.O.C. #27339
377FL vs. 3791RD

We went trailer shopping today. We were pretty much set on the Montana High Country 377 FL until we went through it trying to imagine towing it and where we would put our stuff. I was a little concerned at how low the back of the trailer was to the ground, it was lower than other trailers on the lot. Does anyone know if there would be issues dragging the frame going in/out of gas stations or other severe grade changes? We also didn't see a place to take our bikes & with no receiver there is no place to mount our bike rack. Are there other bike rack options?

We started looking at a Montana 3791RD. This trailer has plenty of places to bring golf clubs, bikes and just about anything else we could think of. We would have to give up the loft & 2nd door.

I think we are going to get the Legacy package. That seems like a nice upgrade especially the disk brakes. We will go out west and we will go to the Smokey Mountains in TN.

We are probably looking at one long multi week adventure ( 3 to 4 weeks ) per year, a shorter 1 week trip and some weekends. Will we even need storage? Is more space inside (like the loft) useful for stuff or more storage out side? I'm sure there are pluses and minuses, I don't know what they are so any thoughts would be nice.

xr7gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:13 PM   #2
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr7gt View Post
We went trailer shopping today. We were pretty much set on the Montana High Country 377 FL until we went through it trying to imagine towing it and where we would put our stuff. I was a little concerned at how low the back of the trailer was to the ground, it was lower than other trailers on the lot. Does anyone know if there would be issues dragging the frame going in/out of gas stations or other severe grade changes? We also didn't see a place to take our bikes & with no receiver there is no place to mount our bike rack. Are there other bike rack options?

We started looking at a Montana 3791RD. This trailer has plenty of places to bring golf clubs, bikes and just about anything else we could think of. We would have to give up the loft & 2nd door.

I think we are going to get the Legacy package. That seems like a nice upgrade especially the disk brakes. We will go out west and we will go to the Smokey Mountains in TN.

We are probably looking at one long multi week adventure ( 3 to 4 weeks ) per year, a shorter 1 week trip and some weekends. Will we even need storage? Is more space inside (like the loft) useful for stuff or more storage out side? I'm sure there are pluses and minuses, I don't know what they are so any thoughts would be nice.

It all depends on what you do and how you like to camp. I've seen folks having a grand time with a tarp and coleman lantern and others that unload literally for an entire day or 2 setting up camp. Sounds like bikes are a must so you need to think about how you transport them. If you search here an on other forums there are LOTS of different things folks have come up with to transport them.

We try to even out the load; inside vs outside vs truck bed. It's pretty hard to get too much inside storage - use it wisely. Exterior storage can go pretty quickly by the time you put tools, ladders, bbq pits/smokers, mats, etc. in. I've never had a loft nor wanted one so don't know what benefits that brings but I'm sure someone will chime in on that along with their thoughts. You might share what it is you want to do when you go; biking...maybe kayaking (see tons of them in FL), fishing; all of it has a bearing on what you take and how you pack.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:27 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have the 3791RD, 2019 Anniversary Edition Legacy. I really love the floor plan. I haven't looked at the 377FL, or any High Country models really, so I can't speak to those. We tend to load based on where we are going and what we are doing on the trip. Some things like the grill, tools, etc. go all the time. Others like the portable canopy, beach/fishing cart, etc. only go on trips where they will be useful.
We tend to travel 4-5 hours a day at most and plan trips accordingly. Usually our last stop on the way home, I pack everything from the inside in the garage for easy access once home, since I can't open all the slides at my house. We usually do all our cleaning on the last stop as well so the rig is ready for the next trip.
The pull out garage tray was the main selling point of this model for us. Most of the Montana models with rear living have similar floor plans. We do like have two pull out queen beds in the rear den, but it wasn't a deal breaker. The pantry is huge. I can see where it wouldn't seem so if we were living in it full time as we have become accustomed to the large pantry/laundry room in our S&B, but for an RV, it's as big as I have seen in any model.
I have been told that the Montana models have higher quality materials than the High Country models and a price point that reflects that as well. Don't want to start something as I haven't compared and have no personal experience with the high country.
All that to say we love our 3791RD and wouldn't trade for any model or brand we have seen since. YMMV. Good luck with whatever you choose.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:44 AM   #4
xr7gt
Established Member

M.O.C. #27339
Thanks for the replies. We will probably bring 4 bikes. We have road bikes for the nice paved trails and mountain bikes for the off road adventure. We also hike, golf and I'm an avid runner. Running and hiking gear seems easy to stash some place. I'm still trying to figure out the bike situation. Worst case with a hitch I can bring a bike rack.

Thanks for the tip on the grill and the ladder. I'll definitely need those! Now I’m thinking the 3791RD may be the better choice 😊 I see my storage filling up fast.

I don’t remember everything the sales person told us about the differences between the Montana High Country and Montana. The big differences are; the High Country is lighter than the Montana, the Montana has larger axles, better tires, better insulation, frameless windows and hydraulic auto leveling. There may have been other things as well but by that time my head was spinning.
xr7gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:56 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
There is one other difference between the Montana High Country and the "Montana".... about $20,000!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr7gt View Post
Thanks for the replies. We will probably bring 4 bikes. We have road bikes for the nice paved trails and mountain bikes for the off road adventure. We also hike, golf and I'm an avid runner. Running and hiking gear seems easy to stash some place. I'm still trying to figure out the bike situation. Worst case with a hitch I can bring a bike rack.

Thanks for the tip on the grill and the ladder. I'll definitely need those! Now I’m thinking the 3791RD may be the better choice 😊 I see my storage filling up fast.

I don’t remember everything the sales person told us about the differences between the Montana High Country and Montana. The big differences are; the High Country is lighter than the Montana, the Montana has larger axles, better tires, better insulation, frameless windows and hydraulic auto leveling. There may have been other things as well but by that time my head was spinning.

Other than pricing your sales person was pretty much on point with the differences in the MHC and Montana. Weight was my #1 consideration and the reason I didn't get the Montana or a Solitude - I will not buy a diesel dually. Frameless windows were on my last unit and they are a blessing and a curse. Blessing part is they look nice; curse is that they just aren't very functional or efficient. Larger axles are due to weight. Some folks like hydraulic leveling some electric. I'm on the electric side at this size point; much bigger and heavier, maybe not. And then there's that 20k....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I am on the you could not give me a 5er with electric levelers side.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote