Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #21
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
[QUOTE=mtlakejim;1160797]Ok before anyone beats me up for talking about brands and things other than Montana 5th wheels, at least hear me out. I trust the folks on this forum more than any other source. As such, I hope you will indulge the sincere question below as it relates to what will be a very large investment no matter which way we go.

We are a few years out from retirement and not by choice living full time in our Montana HC 381TH. We originally bought the unit as weekend warriors chasing white water in the Ozark Mountains. Now we are stuck due to my career in the New Mexico desert. Why oil drilling booms can't happen somewhere like Florida or Hawaii is beyond me.

Oil drilling booms lead us to places like Kermit, TX and Jal NM, what part of NM you stranded?

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:03 PM   #22
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
When I win the lottery I plan to give Foretravel a close look. I have always admired them from afar. The plant is in East Texas in Nacogdoches.
right across the street from a great Montana Dealer, RV Station, with great service department
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #23
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The question of Class A coaches can be solved only by your personal research. There are a number of brands noted above that have high quality and high prices....but there are many more with similar quality out there that were not mentioned. Some coaches that used to make high quality Class A's don't do that any more, such as Monaco and Holiday Rambler. They still make Class A's but not top of the line models. If desiring a coach capable of pulling a stacker trailer will be well over the costs noted in post #18. Start at $500k for a new one and $200k or so for a used model. They normally have at least 450/500 HP engines and a 15,000 lb tow rating. Top (and most expensive models) in the industry are Prevost, Newell and Foretravel. All are over seven figures and come with 600 HP engines and $20k tow ratings. If I was in the market for any nice Class A, I'd look for one that's a few years old. Let somebody else take the big depreciation hit and get the bugs worked out.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:50 AM   #24
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
We discuss getting a motorhome every time DW announces she has to "go" and we are in the center lane of stop and go traffic. But that urge passes just as the same urge that started the discussion goes away
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:32 AM   #25
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
We discuss getting a motorhome every time DW announces she has to "go" and we are in the center lane of stop and go traffic. But that urge passes just as the same urge that started the discussion goes away
X2 what Jeff said.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:29 AM   #26
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
You mentioned you were trying to decide which way to go - motor home or fifth wheel. We got some great advice from a dealer when we first started looking. I said we were trying to decide which to buy. The dealer said if you do tailgating, short trips, or stay places a few days at a time, definitely get a Motorhome. If you stay weeks/months at a time, go fifth wheel. That advice has served us well. Good luck with your decision. You definitely have more space in a fifth wheel. Enjoy retirement when you get there.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #27
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
[QUOTE=team bradfield;1161506]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Ok before anyone beats me up for talking about brands and things other than Montana 5th wheels, at least hear me out. I trust the folks on this forum more than any other source. As such, I hope you will indulge the sincere question below as it relates to what will be a very large investment no matter which way we go.

We are a few years out from retirement and not by choice living full time in our Montana HC 381TH. We originally bought the unit as weekend warriors chasing white water in the Ozark Mountains. Now we are stuck due to my career in the New Mexico desert. Why oil drilling booms can't happen somewhere like Florida or Hawaii is beyond me.

Oil drilling booms lead us to places like Kermit, TX and Jal NM, what part of NM you stranded?
Our Montana is parked at SKP "The Ranch" between Carlsbad and Artesia. I office in Carlsbad but work the entire Delaware Basin. Not in the field much but have been thru Kermit and Jal several times.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #28
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Thanks for the comments. Soliciting advice from folks I trust is part of our research on this subject. It is an expensive decision. We are basically down to three scenerios:

Keep our current HC381 and 24' enclosed trailer. Tow 5th wheel with our current 1 ton dually and when we retire buy a 3/4 ton for wife to tow the enclosed trailer when we move between camp sites (when we want to take extra toys). That saves us a lot of cash that could go towards traveling.

Replace the HC381 with a custom New Horizon (most likely $150-200K) which will require a larger tow vehicle$$ but we MIGHT be able to take enough toys to do without the 24' enclosed trailer.

Buy a used, low miles Class A (2-3yrs old less than 20Kmiles) and a stacker trailer for toys and toad.

I lean towards the second option fairly strong as it would give us an upgraded premium product built to my exact specs. Although it would be the most expensive option.

I also lean towards 5th wheel as the maintance is a lot less and you get a lot more living space for your $$. Considering that we plan to stay most of the winter in Florida and then hopscotch the rest of the country, driving a day or two and then staying for several weeks. I think that would work out best. If we were more stay two days then move I would be more inclined to say the motorhome would be better route but that isn't our plan....

Thanks again for all the comments and advice.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote