Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #21
Reeltirement

M.O.C. #20543
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzy View Post
Hello all, looking for some input. I have been thinking for years of opening an RV/Marine storage facility. I love boating and camping, so why not put it to use. Around here, we have your basic lots where people pay to store their toys. Im looking to be different. I want to offer services too. So I have all this in motion, but I would love some feedback on some of my ideas, and possible some pointers on what we all might be looking for in a storage facility. For starters, will just be outdoor storage, but I will be adding indoor heated as well. Id like to have services too, perhaps fire wood and ice available. Offer a wash area. Power, to leave fridge on perhaps while in storage. Also, detailing and light maintenance, winterizations and summer commissions. Also, thinking about after market accessory installs, custom lighting upgrades, home theater. Dont want to get into repairs too much, but maybe even some custom remodeling or modifications. I have knowledge and experience in all these areas. Just looking for feed back, are these services you would look for or use, or wish you had in a storage facility?
Eventually, for the weekend people, id like to offer pick up and drop off of unit to your house.
Check out the new storage facility in Florida where we are at, they have it all “diplomatrvboat.com “ 45Ft covered. $ 349. Month

Reeltirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #22
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
I admire your dream so I am listing some considerations:You will need security such as an alarm system and a Video camera to record who comes and goes and which RV the take out. Taxes may be an important expense depending on your state. What is the cost of insurance? Check with nearby lots for the number of available sites - this will indicate the need for more sites in your area. Have enough extra property to grow larger in 10 years as more people retire. Will local entities approve your use of sewer if you add wash station, etc in the future?
What will make your storage facility better than the competition? Consider the cost vs value of placing solar on the roof of the covered parking.
Will covered parking protect my RV from the most severe effects of directional seasonal weather/sun damage(orientaion)? Will snow drifts or tumbleweeds be a problem? Will concrete access/exit ramps be needed to allow all weather access?
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #23
roverit1

M.O.C. #21843
I would also look into possible valet service for your 5th wheel and TT customers. I would love to call ahead and have my unit in a nice clear location where it would be easy to get hooked up. I would also love to drop off and not worry about having to try to back it into a spot where since I was traveling has now decreased in size.
roverit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #24
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverit1 View Post
I would also look into possible valet service for your 5th wheel and TT customers. I would love to call ahead and have my unit in a nice clear location where it would be easy to get hooked up. I would also love to drop off and not worry about having to try to back it into a spot where since I was traveling has now decreased in size.
Your butler doesn't do those for you?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:03 AM   #25
LindaV
Established Member

M.O.C. #21510
What I would love to have for ours:
Covered or at least partially covered storage
Electricity option
Concrete pads and asphalt or gravel drive at a minimum
Secured/gated with 24/7 access
Air & Propane available
Dump Station / Wash Station

What we have:
A large grass/dirt field (which can get really muddy)
A cable fenced area with a locking bull gate - accessable 24/7
Dump Station on grounds
Accepts boats or campers
Cost is $150/quarter or $60/month.
LindaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #26
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Dam am I lucky as my lot is big enough to allow me to have a 48’ X 20’ cover built. I have 50 amp, water and a dump.

Disclaimer, when I bought the lot and had the house built I had no idea I had all this space. I guess God does watch over dummies like me
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #27
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
We store our unit. They have 2 types of storage, covered and indoor. They have a large parking area (striped) to drop off your rig. They put it away and pull it out for you (insurance requirement) and put it in one of the parking spaces. 5 spaces have power so you can get setup before you pull out for your trip. They have a wash station, dump station and an air station for your tires. The entire area is fenced and gated. Each customer has their own specific gate code to get in during off hours. If you want access to your rig during off hours you have to plan ahead and have your rig pulled out into the common area otherwise you’ll set off an alarm. The place has video cameras around and they have the alarm service monitored. The cost is $5/ft plus sales tax per month for covered storage and $7/ft plus tax per month for indoor storage.
Hope that helps
Steve
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:10 PM   #28
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
BTW, the picture is at the common area of the storage area. That’s where you park it when you get back from a trip and they put it away, or where they drop it off for you to pick up. In the background you can see their covered storage.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #29
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
these are all great ideas and input,. Many of them I already have on my "List" so looks like my mind is in the right place. Im hoping to be accepting units starting in May, For starters the lot is going to be all gravel, fully fenced with electronic gate security, 24/7 video camera security. From there, I will be adding additional services like power, water. Also , available are detailing, winterization and summerization services. Local pick up and drop off of units, along with a drop area at the storage site. All spots are 10 x 40 and marked ,,, still working on pricing, but I am doing research on this.
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #30
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
If you are going to accept liability and park units in storage 10X40 may work. Where customers park them around here lots are 12X and a couple 14X. We have one living there, cameras, and gates. Gates operated by code so we have access 24/7. 12' permits slides opening for packing or cleaning. All gravel.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote