Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2018, 05:07 AM   #21
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Its an issue in the RV industry across the board, one would think by now either the manufacturers or the dealers would have smartened up and at least put silicone on all the screws but they don't. I used silicone on each of the screws of the last two new trailers before leaving the dealer, no issues since. Thousands of miles and they stay where they should but then do use generous amounts of silicone on the back of each screw that is sticking threw the sheet metal. No lock nuts or anything else just silicone..

speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:07 AM   #22
Fred S.
Established Member

M.O.C. #19709
I replaced all the screws with stainless nuts washer and bolts. Then the wife painted all the bolt heads black just like the head of the screws were.
Fred S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #23
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
I also used stainless screws and nuts and then painted the heads black. I don't know why but the passenger side fender seems to be the one to come loose.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #24
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachgrowl View Post
I also used stainless screws and nuts and then painted the heads black. I don't know why but the passenger side fender seems to be the one to come loose.
Is it cut for a slide breakaway? If so it acts as a wind scoop. A piece of car door weather stripping in there will stop the wind lifting it. Lots of pressure at 65 mph.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #25
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster100 View Post
Its an issue in the RV industry across the board, one would think by now either the manufacturers or the dealers would have smartened up and at least put silicone on all the screws but they don't. I used silicone on each of the screws of the last two new trailers before leaving the dealer, no issues since. Thousands of miles and they stay where they should but then do use generous amounts of silicone on the back of each screw that is sticking threw the sheet metal. No lock nuts or anything else just silicone..
Less expensive to have a few fender skirts break and be replaced under warranty. One of the 1st screw heads pulled through when I bought a Cougar. They got to replace that one.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #26
mfreitas
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18133
We had our panel blow off and land in the grille of the semi next to us. Lots of issues ordering the correct replacement panel. First one was too short in length. Next came another piece so there would be a seam. That was ok but the panels were not tall enough to fill the opening. Finally got the right one so make sure the parts guy puts in all the dimensions rather than just your VIN #.
That dealer said they get wrong parts from Montana about 30% of the time. Did they have to build a crate to ship them in. Did I mention the one somebody stuck a forklift through. Also the customer gets to pay for crate and shipping.
So many trips to the dealer later we have a new panel with same 3 little braces and small sheet metal screws to hold it on. It’s 169.5 “ long and still moves a lot in the wind. Anybody have any good suggestions for additional braces?
mfreitas is offline   Reply With Quote