Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2023, 08:22 PM   #1
TxAngel702

M.O.C. #33587
Tankless Hot Water Heater Upgrade

So, we just bought a 2008 Montana model 3400RL. And when we went to hook it up, the hot water heater in it was gushing water. So, we decided to try and upgrade it to a tankless one. We bought a CAMPLUX RV Tankless Water Heater off Amazon. Got it hooked up (even an electrician who lives next to us said it was hooked up right). The control panel that on the unit lights up…BUT the unit itself isn’t kicking on…any advice? Or help? Or SOMETHING??? We need hot water 😞…attached is the tankless we bought
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0515.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	15859  

TxAngel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 06:00 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I spent the last hour reading Amazon reviews on this unit and others. It looks like the same Chinese company is selling models called KingRVer, Ranein and Camplux. Each item has less than 100 reviews and the reviews do not inspire confidence. There is no consistency written for customer service - it either stinks or it is GREAT…hmmmm? I also read thru the owners manual, and it reads like a typical Chinese manual doing its best to explain the process to Americans. Some sentences have to be read several times…clean dirt out of the pipe? What pipe? What DIRT? The reviews and the manual tout a built-in pressure relief valve which I don’t recall being a “thing” on my Suburban IW60 (built-in or added as an accessory). They are proud of their micro-processor precision controls and error messaging. My experience with Chinese micro-processors is that they work - and then they don’t work.

You might consider sending the Camplux back to Amazon and consider purchasing the RecPro unit, the Furrion or the Fogatti - based on your interpretation of the reviews. I don’t know who makes the Fogatti, but the Furrion is a Lippert product. RecPro has been a reliable company for many RV accessories for a while. The RecPro unit could be a Chinese product with a RecPro sticker on it…but RecPro will answer the phone! I can’t recommend Airxcel Suburban customer service because their motto is “Call our recommended RV service center - we ain’t gonna help YOU LOWLY CUSTOMERS direct!”

The current batch of available on-demand RV water heaters do not get a lot of love on any of the RV forums. Mine has worked fine and we are happy with it. Your Camplux unit may start working and continue to work for you. I would choose to punt the Camplux and roll the dice with another brand and service center that will help you. Cold showers are no fun.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 06:02 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Are you getting cold water out of the hot water faucets? After the installation, you by chance didn't leave the heater in by pass mode?
Old 11-04-2023, 08:01 AM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quite frankly you should return the unit and get your money back.. Install a Suburban SW12DEL WH and be done with it..

The IW60 and IW60RL are less than stellar
Girard GSHW-2 also has its issues but offers better support than the IW60 series

With out current fifth wheel we find the SW12DEL running on electric mode provides plenty of hot water.. the LP and Elec modes are separately controlled systems so if one mode fails the other will work...

Parts are readily available for a this very reliable WH...
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 05:17 PM   #5
TxAngel702

M.O.C. #33587
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
Are you getting cold water out of the hot water faucets? After the installation, you by chance didn't leave the heater in by pass mode?
Yes I am getting cold water through the hot water facets. How could I tell if the by pass mode is still on?
TxAngel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 06:09 PM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Can you hear it trying to fire the burners?
On my unit - turn on a water faucet and I can hear a fan spin up and the sparker start clicking real fast. I can hear the burners fire up. Water continues to run for 10 seconds or so - then warm water starts coming out, then hot water.

What shows up on your control pad? What symbols are lit up? Any error message?
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote