Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2019, 05:57 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Pullrite 2600 Review

After 15 seasons of towing with my Reese 16k Slider Hitch, we decided to look at a new hitch for use with our new 2019 Ram. We live on a steep (22% Grade) mountain site in Colorado. In our location, a truck is needed for a lot of uses including hauling our trash. So, I wanted to make it easier as I get older to remove my hitch, for a lot of reasons. Our Reese mounted to the bed with a 75 lb picture frame. That required getting down on hands and knees and turning 4 levers and installing two pins. Next came the 200 lb Reese slider and it’s four pins into the picture frame. I use a ceiling mounted electric hoist to remove the Reese. I considered slider hitches built for my Ram. Then, our RV dealer mentioned the Andersen hitch. Like many, I said I don’t want a ball hitch, it’s not traditional. Then I looked at one and was intrigued. In fact, I was within a few hours of ordering one when I talked to the Engineering department at Andersen. They said it would not work with our steep grade. Did I mention we turn 90 degrees downhill coming off our drive? So, since Pullrite is at our Rally this year, I looked at their hitches. The Pullrite 2600 1P is very similar to the Andersen except reversed. The adapter plate for the Pullrite on the pin box has the ball, while the funnel base fits in the bed of the truck. At about 50 lbs, it is a little heavier than the Andersen, but Pullrite engineers were confident that it would handle our situation. This is an all steel hitch and install was very easy. Yesterday was our first trip with the new hitch. I had a very restless night sleep the night before. On a good day, this is a stressful descent off the drive. My concerns were many. Would the ball break, would the adapter spin, would the base turn? All of my concerns were for naught. The hitch did great in an extreme situation. Towing was very nice, with the clunking of the Reese gone. It is a very easy hitch/unhitch process. I added a caribiner last night to the break away cable to hook into the pull handle. I look forward to being able to remove my hitch for the winter with one hand.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I had always thought that these lightweight ball hitches gave up the best part of a traditional fiftwheel hitch, ease of hook up. When I bought my current truck it already had a turnover ball hitch. I decided that instead of removing that hitch and then installing a fiftwheel hitch I'd give the Andersen a try. As Ron said the Andersen and the pullrite 2600 are basically the same. I was pleased to find that with a little neck craning I could see the ball and funnel when hooking. Still not quite as easy as a conventional hitch but close, and much easier than a bumper hitch. The towing experience is wonderful with no more clunking and thunking like my old Reese manual slider. While my Reese broke down into 2 peices, it was still awkward and difficult to lift the frame portion into the high bed of my truck. Why do the beds have to be so tall! While not exactly a one handed job (
Ron must be a little stouter then me) removing and installing the Andersen is a breeze. Hanging the hitch on a wall is nice too, as it saves floor space. I highly recommend this type of hitch, whether a Pullrite or an Andersen, I think you'd be pleased.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
No more clunking and thunking??? The 2 posters above had Reese hitches. I also had one. I’ll be very nice and only say they are junk. None of that with my B&W hitch. I’m sure there are other good hitches too, but Reese is not one of them. I’m not a fan of Anderson but that is a different subject.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
John, our Reese hitch never once failed in over 15 years. Many people on here use Reese hitches successfully. There are people that swear by Reese, Curt, B&W, Andersen, Pullrite and others. My review of the 2600 is based on my need for an easily removable hitch, partially driven by the redesign of the ‘19 Ram. I have been an avid fisherman for many years. My boat has been used very little since starting our camping life in our fifth wheel. I got into kayak fishing about four years ago because I could put the kayak above the cab. The redesign changed the way my Thule goalpost mounts so I needed a new way to carry my kayak. So, I purchased a US Rack fifth wheel kayak rack. The kayak will now load from the bed. Most of our kayak tournaments require driving to the launch site, unloading your kayak in the dark and getting it set for the tournament. Walking around a hitch in the truck bed while lifting an 82 lb kayak in the dark is not a great idea. The new hitch allows me to very easily remove my hitch from the bed to access my kayak without a hoist. We all use different trucks, hitches, and models of Trailer because they fit our needs. I am glad to hear your B&W Hitch meets your needs.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:22 AM   #5
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
We also are VERY pleased with our PullRite we have the 2700 which is the same except ISR mount. tightest most chuck free hitch we have ever had.
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:28 AM   #6
kjmcdowell77
Established Member

M.O.C. #22739
I started pulling a 5th wheel a litttle over a year ago and have logged about 1500 miles. Our dealer talked us into trying the Anderson because our 3/4 ton Chevy has the std 6.5' bed. We did, and I have been nothing but happy. I installed a little rear facing camera just below the rear brake light and I have full view of the hitch when backing to hook up. On the road, the ride is good and extremely stable, even in a crosswind. I con't speak for a B&W or a Reece, but I am very happy with my Anderson hitch.
2017 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel
kjmcdowell77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:07 PM   #7
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
I just pick up the PullRite Superlite #2600 today but I haven't had a chance to install it but later this week I will be on it.

I was thinking about get the AUH but when I email Anderson and MorRyde because I have a MorRyde pin box they told me that I would need a reinforcement plate for the pin box. That cost another $210.00 which was of the one that turn me off.

I know that most people who are using the AUH haven't heard of that but I figure that they know what they are talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3350.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	5751   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3353.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	5752  
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:37 AM   #8
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Twenty years with Pullrite hitches, never failed, with the automatic locking jaws, I personally think its one of the best 5th wheel hitches around.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
The one I have now I can't wait to put it in the truck, this is the first one I had but I will be setting it up this week.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote