Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #81
WestlakeJerry

M.O.C. #15894
My wife and I (Mid-60’s)live in a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia, and keep our Monty on a lakeside lot in Alabama full time, about 2 hours away depending upon traffic in Atlanta. We go over practically every weekend.

According to the Georgia Department of Public Health, as of today (7/26/2020) in Georgia, there have been 167,953 confirmed cases with 3,498 deaths reported as a result of Covid-19. That Infection rate is 1.68%, and the Mortality rate is 0.043%, as Georgia has almost 10 million residents. Approximately 2.08% of those infected have died.

Most people wear masks when shopping, but no one wears them at our RV park. Social distancing? Not so much, as we are like one big family there.

I personally know of 5 people that have contracted the virus. One, an 82 year old female with other co-morbidities, requiring hospitalization. She survived without being put on a ventilator, but is still recovering at home. Two males, mid-40’s, one never had a fever nor respiratory issues but lost the senses of taste and smell. The other had respiratory issues and a fever, but never lost smell or taste. The other two were female, one a teenager and the other in her mid thirties. Both of them said it was like a bad cold or a case of the flu.

I’ll leave it up to you all to decide if the risk factor was worth shutting down the thriving state economy and putting thousands of Georgia citizens out of work to this day, and thousands of small businesses out of business for good. I have my own opinion, but I’ll just post the data and my personal experiences.

WestlakeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:01 PM   #82
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman View Post
First, we tentatively plan to drive to FL in early Dec. unless the storm becomes too severe. Second, we know of two persons now that had contracted COV19, and both survived without any sequelae. Neither were wearing masks as a routine while in public.

The LA Times reported last week that masks not only mitigate, but can also lessen the viral load should you still get COV19, resulting in decreasing the severity and morbidity of this pathogen. I wear a tight fitting N95 mask whenever I'm shopping indoors or among congested public. I worked in surgery for nearly 40 years (although, my masks are from my woodworking business). I see that the public is largely clueless about proper mask fit and density. Many people wear loosely fitted masks, or have their nose exposed, or the fabric of the mask is so thin, they're barely useful and, as such, are at a higher risk of getting or transmitting COV19. Studies prove that the thickness of the mask does make a difference, an example would be flannel does a better job than a tee-shirt density. That said, the mask, even the best mask, is not a perfect defense, it only helps mitigate. Frequent hand hygiene and practicing safe distancing also really helps in fighting any airborne virus.

Another strategy just published said, if you get COV19, use nasal irrigation, (the practice of clearing the nasal passages), using a spray bottle or neti pot to introduce a therapeutic solution. One team of researchers recently studied the effects of nasal irrigation on COVID-19 and determined that this simple, at-home practice could very well help lessen a person's viral load. "Nasal irrigations should be encouraged for patients and health care workers especially," the study concludes. While hardly a silver bullet solution for the disease, the study argues that nasal irrigation can help to "reduce viral severity and further transmission" of coronavirus early on after a patient becomes infected. The researchers explain that this is because, "similar to other viral upper respiratory infections, [coronavirus] infection occurs primarily in the nasal and nasopharyngeal mucosa with high viral loads early in disease." This presents an opportunity to "wash COVID-19 away," the study suggests. The researchers noted that the general "benefit of topical nasal saline has been well established," explaining that the nasal lining serves an important role in the immune system, acting as the primary defense.

Conclusion, wear a good tight fitting dense mask so that it covers your nose and mouth and if you still get it, use a saline nasal lavage early on!

I'm not sure how/why one would go through the loss of "living" and livelihood to go to extremes and be afraid. As my son said 2 days ago as we discussed this and what he is having to do workwise to keep his home (after losing his business and 250k a year job to the hysteria); he has a severely diminished heart due to military service; his mom said be sure and carry an aspirin with you due to excessive tiredness/chest pain due to 14hr hard work days in the sun....he just chuckled and said "I carry a pistol".

Dying is what we each live toward every day - it IS there and you can't avoid it. How you want to live your lives; fully or afraid is up to each of us. One said we basically need to "hide"; "stay away", "keep away" from each other?? Exactly how do we keep this country, and ourselves, functioning trying to follow that "I'm scared" mentality?

Some say "shut down the country"; months or more. Those comments are from folks that read/feel hysteria and have zero comprehension of economics or a plan. Not trying to point fingers but simply saying being afraid, hiding out, closing the country won't fix this problem....and no, I'm not going to douse my nasal passages every day with some solution because a molecule might have floated through the air. Common sense - social distancing; if you need a mask (can't social distance) - don't go. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:35 AM   #83
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Hats off to our wonderful neighbors up north. They have 2900 cases per million and we have 11700. You have done a great job, congratulations!
Lynwood

This was posted on 7, 19. We now have 13200 cases per million and Canada now has 3000 cases per million.

Maybe if we just did what it takes to control this virus we would be going back to work and we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:44 AM   #84
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
So, there's a crowded room filled with people with new onset viral URI's, what sane person would knowingly enter that room without some protection? We're talking about being SMART, not hiding out and not shutting down the country. Several other countries have practiced these guidelines early on and are not experiencing the death rates or severity and are functioning!
Here's the link that will help understand the benefits of wearing a mask.

https://apple.news/AYC9lzF4rQx60Pq1BaqljzQ
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:28 AM   #85
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
Mike Rowe has probably the best take on the whole covid debacle. Read his response to the end.

https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMike...5963458747106/
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:02 AM   #86
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Having dealt with and having access to a machine shop at work. I think Linwoods machine shop is a place I would love to visit. Maybe a bucket list item. The science is having a vision and taking raw materials and doing something with them which develops into a theory and results in a product which people can use and study.

As for the Covid. It is a fluid situation and everywhere is different. Masks are preventative but areas have higher number of cases than others. This changes day by day. In some cases twice a day. Dependenet on where you are.

I have chosen to stay put for a while. The north eastern US is fairly safe. Alaska is a good choice. But remember you have to travel and come into contact with others along the way.
How is your personal health, What is your personal risk, Where do you wish to travel to. How comfortable are you with rolling the dice?

It will continue to change; And no one can predict the results. We can only rely on what the media is reporting factual or other.

Preppers: Stock up for shortages. MRE's, fuel shortages could be possible. Aluminum can shortage is current. Coins are now a shortage. At this point anything under the sun could become shortage. I heard Walmart in some areas shelves are bare for certain products. Furniture is just one example.
I'm sure it is all Chinese made which is most of Walmart products.

I think I covered all three topics in this thread. Haha
I do know 3 people who have died from this. Two in their 50's husband and wife and another in a different town our district adjutant in his 60's.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Lynwood - machine shop is also a science too. Just pick up a copy of Machinery's Handbook.

Then there is this to consider

Old 07-27-2020, 07:32 AM   #87
Erikksen
Established Member

M.O.C. #21640
In Oklahoma we have been re-opened since May for the most part and only a few wear masks in public. Mostly people who are working in business and required to do so. I have only heard of three cases second hand of people who contracted the virus and no one who has died. The entire summer. Don’t watch the news though because COVID is everywhere and it’s a killer.. (Sarcasm)
Erikksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:59 AM   #88
Beauty2018

M.O.C. #22915
I’m in Tucson and masks are required. The mayors of cities like Tucson and Phoenix put pressure on the governor to allow them to order masks worn all the time. He agreed. The governor has shut down theaters, barber/beauty shops, indoor dining and gyms again. Lately Arizona’s numbers have been going down.
Beauty2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #89
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Mr Erikksen.
Al sarcasim aside. I do know a husband and wife friends of mine in their 50's who died. In addition our district AL adjutant died from it a town over. He was in his 60's and I last worked with him during out state oratorical competition.
It was an honor to know all three of them. They were friends. 3 of my family members have tested positive the oldest being in her 80's. She just recently visited her mother who is over 100yrs old. Imagine the concern for everyone.
Screw the people who want to riot and cause chaos. I'll stay isolated and safe.
Your milage may vary
Wishing you all the best of health, wealth, and wellbeing for your self and family.
There are nay sayers and as a veteran It is your right to voice you opinion. Just remember there are other experiences.
This is in New England which is on a downward trend proactively.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikksen View Post
In Oklahoma we have been re-opened since May for the most part and only a few wear masks in public. Mostly people who are working in business and required to do so. I have only heard of three cases second hand of people who contracted the virus and no one who has died. The entire summer. Don’t watch the news though because COVID is everywhere and it’s a killer.. (Sarcasm)
Old 07-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #90
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Mr Erikksen.
All sarcasim aside. I do know a husband and wife, friends of mine in their 50's who died. In addition our district AL adjutant died from it a town over. He was in his 60's and I last worked with him during out state oratorical competition.
It was an honor to know all three of them. They were friends.

3 of my family members have tested positive the oldest being in her 80's. She just recently visited her mother who is over 100yrs old. Imagine the concern for everyone.

Your milage may vary
Wishing you all the best of health, wealth, and wellbeing for your self and family.
There are nay sayers and as a veteran, It is your right to voice you opinion. Just remember there are other experiences.
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikksen View Post
Old 07-27-2020, 08:40 AM   #91
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks uhfth. If you are ever down this way, I81 exit 137 Va. stop in and I will give you the 5 minute tour. We will show you how and what we do and let you spend the night on the farm. We have a dump station water and a few amps of electricity.
Lynwood
Old 07-27-2020, 09:32 AM   #92
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Quote:
This was posted on 7, 19. We now have 13200 cases per million and Canada now has 3000 cases per million.

Maybe if we just did what it takes to control this virus we would be going back to work and we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
Lynwood

Some think the COVID knows borders. It doesn't just magically stop at the border any more than migratory birds do because it's a different country.

Things are not being handled any differently in our good neighbors to the north city of Winnipeg, MB than they are in good old ND. One of my best friends lives there and we talk a couple of times a week. The only thing is the border is closed so nobody goes in or out... except for commercial traffic (trucks). I guess the COVID knows it should not hitch a ride on a truck, the driver, or any of the cargo that might go across the border because it is not allowed in Canada?

COVID is real, but it is more about politics in this country than it is anywhere else in the world. Like Mike Rowes note linked to earlier, the media is blowing this completely out of context because of whatever agenda they may have. I will keep my opinions to myself as to the reasons there.

Be smart and live your life however you are comfortable. Right now, I sam going to go out to my truck and make my 400 mile run I make 4 times a week, fully aware that I may die in a traffic accident and never get back home. Been doing the same thing for over 3 million miles in 39 years. So far, so good.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #93
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Good news!
Fauci says vaccine possible by October probably by November.
Lynwood
Old 07-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #94
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Thanks uhfth. If you are ever down this way, I81 exit 137 Va. stop in and I will give you the 5 minute tour. We will show you how and what we do and let you spend the night on the farm. We have a dump station water and a few amps of electricity.
Lynwood
We would love to stop and meet you some time. When we go to Florida (Zephyrhills) we take I-81, I-77, 321 and 301 and take four days. On a return trip, your location would make a great overnight stop.

Unfortunately, due to this Covid situation, I don’t know when we will be able to go down again! This winter sure does not look promising!

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:18 PM   #95
Erikksen
Established Member

M.O.C. #21640
Please don’t misunderstand

My sarcasm was meant for the media presentation. It was not meant to disrespect anyone with actual experience.

In a real state of emergency everyone would know someone fatally infected. That is called an epidemic I believe. This situation can not remotely compare to earlier epidemics that have killed millions. I simply was stating that the media reports do not add up to the real world around me. I do not presume to know the real world around you or anyone outside of my acquaintance. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhftx View Post
Mr Erikksen.
All sarcasim aside. I do know a husband and wife, friends of mine in their 50's who died. In addition our district AL adjutant died from it a town over. He was in his 60's and I last worked with him during out state oratorical competition.
It was an honor to know all three of them. They were friends.

3 of my family members have tested positive the oldest being in her 80's. She just recently visited her mother who is over 100yrs old. Imagine the concern for everyone.

Your milage may vary
There are nay sayers and as a veteran, It is your right to voice you opinion. Just remember there are other experiences.
Chris
Erikksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #96
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Friend and I went for a bike ride on the coastal bike route here in SoCal. Went thru Carpenteria State Beach campground and it was packed! They park them cheek to jowl there and not a mask in sight on anyone young or old. And I mean no one. Wait a minute: Rangers had masks as well as the CG host.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #97
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Good news!
Fauci says vaccine possible by October probably by November.
Lynwood
I'm betting the precise date will be Nov 8.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:12 AM   #98
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
I'm betting the precise date will be Nov 8.
That funny my crystal ball says the same thing.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #99
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
More than one way to die from Covid.
https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/health/tk