Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2020, 12:10 PM   #21
rockingh

M.O.C. #17291
Meet and greet...

Once the park owners meet your GSD, he will probably end up driving the car like Maxx here. One hundred and thirty two lbs. of GSD love.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0568.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	5388  

rockingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:20 AM   #22
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
I reserved a site in a FL campground online. The online site didn't say anything about dog breed or weight restrictions. Then I had to call them to change the date(s) and that's when the questions started flying about my dog. She's 55#, a well mannered, gentle, pound puppy with a little of this and a little of that. Her tongue is mottled pink & black, so could have Chow in her. I guess Chow is aggressive?!. With that, the campground said NO, I got all my money back but $60. I'll never bring up her mottled tongue ever again.
Toad: 2017 Jeep Wrangler
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:23 PM   #23
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkeen View Post
You know what I'm going to say... My 90-lb GSD named "Ruger" is the nicest friendliest most well-behaved GSD ever.

That aside, I understand that RV parks have an insurance liability policy that either has a dog weight restriction or breed restriction.

I'm going to be selling my condo and moving with my RV from Virginia to Texas this spring/summer, and then full-timing in Texas until I find a place I like and buy a property.

I want to go from Virginia to Florida (to visit family), and then onto Texas, and only want to travel 200-250 miles per day with a 2-3 day stay at a RV park for each leg of the 2,200 mile journey. This trip could take me 20-30 days.

How do you recommend I do this with my GSD?

Thanks,
Scott
Make him or her a companion dog. Very easy to do. There will be no troubles. My Father-inlaw did that with his GSD..
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:17 AM   #24
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
Make him or her a companion dog. Very easy to do. There will be no troubles. My Father-inlaw did that with his GSD..
isn't that just abusing the companion dog program
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #25
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
isn't that just abusing the companion dog program
Definitely abusing an already over abused system. Should require a written statement from a doctor or psychologist showing need to obtain one.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #26
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Before I say anything else, let me state I have a Chihuahua that we love and have made a lot of accommodations for (no carpet for instance). He is NOT perfect, he barks when he shouldn't and growls at much larger dogs sometimes. Despite the fact that he is only 5 lbs we treat him like a potentially aggressive animal. We love OUR dog but understand others don't (it isn't THEIR dog)!

He is OUR dog. We do our very best not to allow him to be a PEST to other humans! I don't care what kind of dog you own it is YOUR dog. You should do everything you can to make sure it is not a PEST to other humans!! Not everyone likes dogs. Most folks don't want someone else's dog approaching them! Especially one they don't know. Dogs can be unpredictable, even the best behaved can become aggressive for an unknown reason.

The real reason we have to deal with campground rules is some folks obviously don't get it! If you want more restrictive rules just keep trying to flaunt the current ones!!

Keep YOUR dog to YOURSELF and keep them quite!! PERIOD! Keep it on a leash anytime it is out of a pen! DO NOT ALLOW IT TO APPROACH OTHERS!!! If your walking your dog for goodness sakes don't approach other people unless they are ok with it!! And even then keep the dog on a very tight leash! Especially if the dog is large enough to do serious injury. The ONLY exception to this is if you have long term neighbors that also have dogs and you have talked to them about the dogs playing together.

As an analogy: the reason we have such restrictive smoking rules these days is because some idiots thought it was ok to smoke in enclosed areas like elevators and small rooms with no respect for others. When we asked them not too they didn't take the hint....

You want all parks to start saying no dogs period? Just keep trying to get around the rules and disrespecting other people!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #27
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I read about folks having issues with various dog breeds in RV parks and such. Every "private" campground or RV "resort" will have their own rules. All you can do is call ahead and find out what they are.

Or, you can select to camp at State Parks. Unless specifically posted on their State DNR web site, there aren't any breed restrictions. We were in only 1 State Park in all our years of travel that had signs posted that ALL dogs MUST be on a leash or the owner will be evicted from the park. And they meant it. It was a horseman's park, and almost all the trails were designed for horse traffic. I think that was the only single exception of a threat of expulsion we ever saw at any State Park, anywhere.

Check State Parks, you'll have less hassle. The only thing is, most have a limit stay of 2 weeks, and then you have to move.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #28
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
From the date of the original post I'm afraid the OP may have already left and is now stuck somewhere due to the unforeseen circumstances we are enduring at this time.

As far as dogs; we travel with ours everywhere. She does not fit any of the restricted breeds but even then when I say she is a "terrier mix" I'm hit with "we don't allow Pit Bulls/Staffordshires" etc. I tell them she's not and when we get there if they find that she is I'll gladly leave - never had to leave yet.

IMO the trick to getting along in an RV park, or any park, is to have a well behaved dog. Agreed that all dogs have an internal trigger we may have no idea about so you have to always be on the safe side. Our dog doesn't bark when we are there or gone unless someone bangs on the door. Incessant barking drives people nuts and has led to more than one eviction in my experience. Aggressive dogs, no matter the breed, will get you kicked out if they exhibit that toward people, or even other dogs, without sufficient restraint. If the dog is not well behaved an owner must take the appropriate precautions to assure they behave in an acceptable manner.

As far as leash requirements; I've never been anywhere that I recall that either the park (private, state, federal), county or local authorities did not have a leash restriction of some kind (I've been to lots of places but not all over the country in its entirety). Remembering all the kinds of dogs, and temperaments I've/you've seen, just think about them all being turned loose because no one wanted to put a leash on them. Complete chaos. Also a good way to lose an aggressive animal. Another off shoot of not leashing the dog is the "deposits" left who knows where for everyone but the owner to deal with. Not acceptable.

Anyway, hope the OP made it where he was going without issue and had good luck taking puppy where he needed to go.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:43 PM   #29
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Definitely abusing an already over abused system. Should require a written statement from a doctor or psychologist showing need to obtain one.
What you said would be true if you were talking about SERVICE DOG. That would be dogs that help people with medical and disability issue's. Companion dogs do not have all the rights that service dog have and need. They can not go into restaurants, banks, and most stores. They do not even get a vest only a tag on its collar. You do need a letter from a doctor and that goes to a vet, then it get sent off to companion dogs. Then they send you to a center where they check out your dog and you. But it is a lot easier then being Service dog rated.

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:05 AM   #30
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
We have the same large GSD and a Beagle. We use RV Trip finder
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:27 PM   #31
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I did not read all the posts, but GSD's are magnificent dogs. As far as traveling with them and their acceptance where ever you go? If you stay at State / Federal parks you won't have any issues. Every private campground has their own rules. It's just that simple.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:00 PM   #32
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
As for agressive breeds, I was at Home Depot just walking down an isle. It was at least 6-8 feet wide. A lady was looking at something on a shelf and had a full grown poodle, which I don't think are listed as aggessive. I gave it as wide a birth as possible and as I got right beside it, it lunged and bit my leg behind the knee. Just stung a bit, but when I checked out it still stung so I rubbed it and it had some blood. I am more careful now around dogs (I have had many over the years and like them - cats not so much! LOL).

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote