Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2023, 07:50 PM   #1
Debway29

M.O.C. #32161
Shaw Sattelite Service in AZ?

We bought our 2022 Montana 3231ck 5th wheel & 2022 gmc sierra 3500 diesel truck! We are from Cochrane, Alberta, Canada, we did have Shaw satellite installed, now will not work in AZ!! Any suggestions as to what we should be using to get Canadian content with sports & news while in US?

Mod Update: This post has been moved to its own Thread as it is more than an introduction.

Debway29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:44 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Debbie,

First welcome to the forum!

I do not believe Dish or Direct provides any Canadian content. You may need to stream your video and connect into a Canadian system.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:48 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
A Search may help here. Here is a link to an older thread on this topic. I seem to remember Shaw is using some new satellite that doesn't reach the USA.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=63165

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 11:27 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Our neighbor across the street from us at the park in AZ is also from Canada and has lost his Shaw connection. He told me that Shaw refuses to provide any support while he is out of their standard viewing area, so I suggested just using his OTA antenna to get the local TV while they are in AZ. Haven't been back there since before the holidays to find out what he has done.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:55 AM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
In early 2021 we found the Canadian TV show Heartland and started watching/streaming all the seasons from the beginning (22 seasons?). We LOVE that show. Not quite sure how we originally missed it since it premiered in 2008. Anyway - we got caught up with “Heartland fever” and the newest season was about to premier on CBC in the Fall 2021. I started researching how to stream the new season to satisfy our need. Apparently CBC keeps a tight lid on streaming its current content. We had to buy a VPN service headquartered in Canada - which tricked the CBC servers into thinking we were located in Montreal - and we watched/streamed the new season as it was broadcasted live to Canada. For the Heartland program - CBC releases it to the US market (we have Dish satellite) thru UP-TV and maybe Hallmark channel almost a year after it was seen on CBC. After we watched the Fall 2021 season of Heartland we went thru a 12 step program for our addiction and have remained “Heartland-free” for the past 12 months

The explanation above is lacking in technical information. Sorry about that.. but I don’t understand this stuff - but I spent hours researching/googling alternatives and this seemed to be the best option for us at the time. I would suggest that you do the same research for the programs you want to watch. If all you want to watch is the 6:00 news live from “XXXXX” city in Canada - I did not research/google that subject and have no idea if you can stream it for free or not. The VPN service cost us maybe $75 for 3 years service and it will automatically renew unless I cancel it. I need to cancel it! This post is the first time I have thought about it in a year!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 09:07 AM   #6
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
We are CDN and just came from Florida where we used our Shaw for a month. We are now just outside of Quartzite,Az in a BLM and can t get our Shaw tuned in. However my sister in law and brother in law are in Quartzite for a month now and are successfully receiving their Shaw using the same satellite equipment as us. The signal is out there but sometimes the area one is in is "dead" for some reason.
2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:22 PM   #7
GrahamLock
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25190
Shaw

Like others, we were surprised after installing the Shaw Direct system ($5000) and only having their service for two years. I suspect the issue relates to regulatory matters where Canadian programs are not available in the US. It is so sad that we Canadians won’t be allowed to watch Canadian programs. We have told Shaw how disappointed we are, but that felt like deaf ears. We have terminated our Shaw service and will now use Shaw Blue Curve on our iPads and cast that to our TVs using an Apple TV. The Shaw dish and box are now dead weight that I will remove.
GrahamLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:59 PM   #8
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debway29 View Post
We bought our 2022 Montana 3231ck 5th wheel & 2022 gmc sierra 3500 diesel truck! We are from Cochrane, Alberta, Canada, we did have Shaw satellite installed, now will not work in AZ!! Any suggestions as to what we should be using to get Canadian content with sports & news while in US?

Mod Update: This post has been moved to its own Thread as it is more than an introduction.
Doesn't work across the border, get Starlink for your internet then find your shows on either free or fee based internet apps.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 05:06 PM   #9
Fab2019

M.O.C. #25463
You can get Shaw to work

While we can’t get our Shaw dish to work via our Winegard traveller, others in our AZ Rv park can. What they do is when the dish looks like it has found the satellites, they unplug the box. By searching on the internet you can find info on it. You can also set your box to find only 1 satellite 107 or 111 and sometimes that will get your TV working. That does not work for us, ours doesn’t work in Canada either so it needs some work. We bring our portable dish and find the satellite manually. We lose some channels but we get most of them. We also bought a fire stick and VPN and we stream it via the internet for the channels we miss. Good luck, I hope you get it work, we love having our Canadian TV while away.
Fab2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:08 PM   #10
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
I am currently deep into the Baja of Mexico and had no problem getting Shaw. We get all CDN and USA networks out of both east and west locations. Our equipment is a tripod with a 60 cm dish and a two head dish receiver thing hooked up to our PVR. We get the coordinates from Dishpointer, the app.
2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote