Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #41
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Most people tip toe around those numbers because the majority of 1 ton DRW owners on this club continue to make false blanket statements about the 2500HD not being able to handle the pin weight of a Montana.

I can say with multiple certified CAT Scale print outs, that my 3400RL loaded with all of my "stuff" for six months on the river IS within the specs of my truck. Now, having said that I also need to clarify that I am single and the coach is packed for 1 person and a small 10 lb dog. I know if there was a 2nd person packed into my coach I would probably be over the GVWR on my truck. My point is, each person needs to check the pin weights of their specific coach and pay attention to how they load it. Granted my 3400RL dry pin weight came from the factory just shy of 1,800 lbs and the new 3400RL's have a heavier empty pin weight, but for some members to continually make the blanket statement of 2500HD's cannot handle a Montana and stay within the trucks ratings is 100% false.
You are totally correct. A much more realistic number would be 99%, you are the other 1%.

Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #42
gj4040
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7002
Injecting a little humor in a thread like this that deals in pin weights is a good thing. It makes the reading more enjoyable.
gj4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:19 PM   #43
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I was out in the garage under the truck today checking the air in my spare tire when I just happened to look at the springs and shackles. It occured to me that this axel is rated at under 7000 lbs and then I began to wonder how could the axels on the Big Sky be rated at 6750 lbs each when they are about half the size. bolts and shackles are less than that. It sure makes me wonder how they, the so called engineers, come up with those numbers. Where is the "real" safety issue?
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:20 PM   #44
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sorry if my previous post was interpreted to have harsh undertones--honestly that was not my intent. It just seems that any time someone mentions carrying capacity, GVWR's, GRAWR, and such, the topic tends to become the 1 ton vs. the 3/4 ton. As Rich pointed out, nothing specific was mentioned relating to my previous post, but I just wanted to be the first one out of the gate this time... =) Again, I am sorry if anyone was offended, hurt, insulted, or enraged by my previous comment. It is something that I have been wanting to say for some time now and felt the time to say it was finally here. Happy RV'ing to all!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:06 AM   #45
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave..no hurt feelings here..you know that..open discussion is what this forum is about. You can stay within limits because you are educated in all the numbers.. Many are not and it is our responsibility to give them the information that will allow them to be as educated as you are. My hot button gets pushed on these Diesel/ Gas discussions. having a diesel is more of a testosterone issue that actually needing one..To compare a TURBO CHARGED diesel with a NON TURBO gas motor is ridicules. Take the turo off the diesel then compare.. Will miss you at the rally..take care..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:01 AM   #46
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave the Pin weight is the issue as richfaa stated you have the knowledge of numbers. Most Rver's start out with what they see and read. And sometime they don't choose the correct Truck. However I see 2500HD's towing heavy 5er's. Just yesterday I seen a 2500HD towing a Cambridge and I can assure you he was over his Pin weight. I just happen to know my Pin weight when loaded is 3800 + or - it is a heavy unit. With the HP the TV's of today are putting to the rear wheels its very easy to tow the large 5th wheels of today. But the question is can the 2500HD's stop the heavy 5ers? Yes is the answer if all systems are working properly. But if they aren't you could have a serious problem. I might add some Rver's aren't properly trained to tow heavy loads that in my opinion is the big question mark. You see it everyday on the road and in the RV parks. I have come to the point I really don't like to comment on Trucks. And you can see the same points made on other forums about TV, you have to be careful about what you say about HD trucks around those pulling with Class 8 trucks. They for the most part will tell you in a second you need a Class 8 to tow anything. However they didn't start with a Class 8. I Love the MOC forum and read it every day. Thanks to all for your comments and idea's. Life is good, come see us at the View. Wish we could be out there with Y'all.. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:04 AM   #47
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Thanks to all the advice here on this board, some others, and double checking manufacturer and Trailer Life towing guides, I got a silver 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT long bed quad cab CTD Auto dually for a good price (I think, $25K for 38K miles) and to be on the safe side. I noticed the towing ratings for Dodge increased from 2004 to 2005, I suppose as part of the ever growing GCVW competition. I would have preferred SRW, but they're hard to come by and trucks sell a lot quicker than RVs.

Now I just need a hitch and then I can hopefully find a used Montana 3670 to hook up! I retire 1 Oct, so the "heat is on"!

Have a great weekend!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote