Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Which GPS?

It's time to start shopping for a GPS. A friend just bought a TomTom 910. He loves it. Says it has much more memory and a lot less price than the competition. I liked what he showed until he asked for a route to my home. Although there was a state route directly from where we were sitting to home, the TomTom selected a route that was at least 15 miles farther than taking the direct route, and no, the selected route was not more scenic or easier to travel.

My next step was to check with the experts, you guys. A GPS search on this forum told me that of the many GPS brands in use, Garmin seems to be the GPS of choice among the MOCer's. The Streetpilot 2720 seems to be the favored model. A check of the internet showed that this model had all of the features that I wanted and that it can be found at a price comparable to the TomTom. Some have posted problems with the TomTom.

Earlier this evening I went to the Best Buy store to see what they had. They sold both TomTom and Garmin among others. The salesman said that I should consider a Garmin Nuvi model. This has a flat screen and about an 8 hour battery life making it easier to transport when you use it outside of the vehicle. The Streetpilot is built like a small TV with a picture tube and only about 3 hours of battery. He says the Nuvi's are his best seller. He sited some of the same TomTom problems that were related here on the forum.

I want a GPS for navigation both inside and outside of the vehicle. Other bells and whistles are extra added attractions, not necessities. At this point I am warm to the Garmin Nuvi 660. What say you? Is there anything I'm missing?

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
we have the garman street pilot 2720 and love it as it sits on a bean bag on the dash and at nite i take it in the coach and put in more spots for the next week or so as it runs on battery of the truck or elect in the coach
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our new Garmin 60CSx arrives tomorrow via my brother who is coming to San Diego for a visit. Yippee! Another new toy! After driving through LA and San Diego, we really see the need for a good GPS. This unit works both in the truck and outside for GPSing, which we have yet to experience. My search on the internet showed that it came highly recommended. It also mounts on the dash with a sand bag. I have heard reports that Tom Tom isn't the best model to get although I'm sure some people have had a good experience with that model.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:14 AM   #4
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Garmin Nuvi is a good unit for both in vehicle and out of vehicle navigation. I use the Nuvi, the Garmin eTrex, and the Garmin 60CSx. Each has its better uses. For screen size and ease of use, I feel, the Nuvi is best. For field use like hiking, and screen presentation, the 60CSx can not be beat. For cost and use in the field eTrex is good. Check out Garmin's web site, it has some great information.

Define your uses then compare units based on that, their is no one do-it-all units.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:54 AM   #5
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I got a flier in the mail a few dys ago from Delorme. They have a newGPS unit that looks interesting. I am waiting for someone to buy one and post what they think of it.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:59 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I am very happy with the 2720 but you need to be aware the 2720 does not have a battery. Everything is kept in electronic memory. Doesn't need a battery for that. It comes with both 12v and 110v adapters. However, if you want to use the 2720 while hiking, it can't because there is no battery.

I did quite a bit of research and actually bought and returned two before buying the 2720 because those first two didn't do what I wanted. The advertising and the sales staff think they do what I want but they didn't. I even paid a 15% restocking fee on one of those.

I wanted ability to store multiple pre-planned routes in the gps. I wanted to also be able to plan routes on my laptop and upload them. I wanted the entire USA detail maps on the gps so I don't have to upload them when we move to another area. I want a voice to clue me to an upcoming turn and to tell me the name of the street/road and how far. I want to be able to modify a route with multiple vias. "Multiple Destinations", which is what the Magellan I tried called it, is not the same thing. Multiple vias in multiple routes. The 2720 will store 50 preplanned routes with up to more than 2500 vias in each route. I can, of course, delete them when no longer needed. It also stores many, many waypoints I have chosen. I do not have to preplan a route. I can just select a waypoint (like this afternoon I'll select the applebee's as we're meeting friends for lunch) and tell it to take me there. From there we're doing some sigthtseeing on roads of my choice so I preplanned that route.

If you want to use the gps on battery, the 2720 is not what you want. If you don't want or need the features I want and need, then there may be other good choices as well. And there are probably other good choices that do everything I want.

All I can tell you is the 2720 does everything I want, is fast to update, etc., etc. It works for me but it might not be the best choice for you, depending on your needs. And I can also tell you Garmin after the sale customer service is superb. I emailed them with a question and got a reply within an hour. After the question was asked I was asked if I had any problems with the unit. I said the only thing is the 12v adapter seems to not fit as tightly on the unit as I'd like. He asked my address and said he'd send a new one. This was a Friday. I had it on Tuesday. I thanked him profusely and apologized for asking so many questions. His reply email said "no problem. If you don't ask questions, I don't have a job."

On edit, another thing I really like about the 2720 is the screen that is clearly visible even in direct sunlight. It's advertised as such and it works very well. It's also touchscreen.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:42 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just love my little Nuvi -

What I like is it fits in the shirt pocket (not sure about the new bigger 660), I just snap it in and the charge wiring is already attached to the holder, it reads books to me, it talks sexy, and it's TOUCH SCREEN!!!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We like the 2720. All what Steve said is true for us, as well. Also, when towing, we can tell it to treat us like a truck for route selection, when not towing, we can revert to the "car" mode. That is a good feature, I think. And, like some others, every once in a while, "she" (we call her "Doris") looses her mind and tells us to do some unusual maneuver, like making a "U" turn when it is obvious that isn't the thing to do. It is usually obvious when it does so. all in all, we have come to rely on and appreciate "her" advice.. If, however, you want/need a GPS for walking around, 2720 can't do it.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:55 AM   #9
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
What a difference a weekend makes. My friends TomTom, that last week was such a great unit, failed over the weekend. It acts like it's turning on, but nothing comes up on the screen. It was only three days old. I guess that narrows the choice to Garmin products. I thought about using my laptop, but I really don't want to deal with something that big while I'm driving.

Brad, I like the looks of your Nuvi. I'm not sure I should go in that direction. I just don't feel comfortable messing with another guy's girl. LOL. Does your Nuvi switch from Truck to Car mode like PJ's?

PJ, I like the "Truck/Car" capablity. Does that include flagging low overhead clearances?
Maybe I missed it, but what language am I looking for on the web that tells me that a unit has this capability?
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:21 AM   #10
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Don't know anything about this one, it is $200.00 and you can check it out here.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...53&dcaid=17653
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #11
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
I agree with steve and share the same unit. Also you can get one off of ebay really cheap and brand new like i did.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
PJ, there's an option to avoid u-turns. I set that when towing. In fact, I have that set all the time. There's also options to avoid toll roads, dirt roads, minor roads, etc. I turn off dirt roads pretty much all the time. I also have auto recalc turned on and tell it don't ask, just do it.

The 2720 does not have low clearance automatically unless that truck option has that. I will have to ask Garmin about that. As far as I know, no gps has that built in.

I don't know anything about the Nuvi other than it's a pretty new model and it's supposed to be a good one. I don't know what abilities they have for multiple routes and the like. The Garmin site, www.garmin.com has an option where you can choose several models and have it show you a comparison of features.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:24 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Here's the reply from Garmin.

The truck option will take you on known truck routes, but does not
provide information on low bridges or overpases.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:56 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the Garman GPS-18 with City Navigator North America Version 8. It is a hocky puck sized receiver that goes on the roof or any window, Right now it is stuck to the side window at the PC desk of the 3400. It inputs into the laptop and we like the big screen view. From Steve's description of the 2720 it seems to do all that it does. It has not let us down yet.. I think they all do pretty much the same. I always look for user friendly software
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:05 AM   #15
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Here's the reply from Garmin.

The truck option will take you on known truck routes, but does not
provide information on low bridges or overpasses.
Steve,

Don't truck routes by definition exclude low bridges and low overpasses?

Grant

PS My recent trip was the first one with my new 2720. I was amazed by the detail in the points of interest. Unfortunately, it will find Truck Stops and Gas stations but, not Gas stations that sell diesel. A find diesel feature would be nice.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:08 AM   #16
ridgeruner58

M.O.C. #7022
Send a message via AIM to ridgeruner58
My wife commutes into the DC area everyday so I bought her a Garmin GPS c550 Street pilot. She(we) just love it. It has an antiglare screen, bluetooth capable (which she uses a good deal), an 8 hour battery and a FM traffic receiver. The traffic receiver will show slow or problem areas and guide you around those areas. This service cost about 5 dollars a month and is only available in larger cities. It has helped us on several occasions in this crazy DC traffic. You can also set it up for the quickest or shortest route and car or truck travel. It's a bit pricey but it was well worth the investment for us. Hope this helps!
ridgeruner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:40 AM   #17
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have the Tom Tom and do not like it for all the reasons already mentioned. I would not buy it again but will not get rid of this one for awhile either. I love the size and ease of use and when it gets down to the fine details like trying to find a house in a big neighborhood it works great. But it does route you a long way around. I usually look at a map and take the road that I think we should travel and it will re-calculate and then show us that route.

The part that I like the best is that Bill still needs me to read the map and I don't want to lose my job.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:02 AM   #18
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We bought a Garmin C550 and used it to go to Edmonton 2 weeks ago. It worked like a charm. We went to lots of places in town and it took right to the doorstep. I think anyone travelling should have one.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:50 PM   #19
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I had a Garmin, took it back to the dealer. It would not route me from New Braunfels TX to Houston without a 45 mile extended loop back thru San Antonio. Tried the Tom Tom, got the same results. Bought, and like very much, a Panasonic. Haven't seen one mentioned here but it has a nice windshield mount, comes with 12v and 110v charger. Lasts about 8 hours on battery, can use it for pedestrian (hiking) has all the way points you need and is computer interface compatiable. Nice for under 500.00
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #20
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
I just ran the New Braunfels to Houston route on Mapsource which the Garmin 2720 uses. The route took me through Seguin on both fastest time and shortest route.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote