Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Here is one for really OLD vets!

I went to HD the other day and presented my DD214 to get the discount. I was informed that HD no longer accepts a DD214 and that I must have a picture ID card. I was also told that Lowes now has the same policy.

Well, I was discharged in 1961 and never got a picture ID card. It turns out that no one seems to know how to get one either unless the vet is a patient of the VA hospital system.

I just thought I would pass this on in hopes that someone out there knows how to obtain a card.

ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That's a new one.. My DD214 is so fragile I think it waould fall apart if I took it out. It's like the Magna Carta
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I had heard from someone a year ago HD had stopped the veteran discounts and I have been shopping at the Lowes because of this.

Are you saying they do still offer discounts to vets but with the correct ID card? This is good news, because the two Lowe's around my house have horrible service and the HDs are MUCH better when I used to go there.

I am not a vet, but certainly like to support companies who support Vets versus those who don't. Maybe I'll just have to ask since Veteran support may vary.

Lots of places are requiring picture IDs of some kind. With all the fraud opportunities going around, I'm not surprised.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I called the local mgr and he stumbled over some explanation about the IRS being after HD because contractors were using the discount. I guess HD writes the discount off as a donation(?)

Who knows!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
The only way to get a picture ID is to be retired, with a retired ID card, or have a VA ID card.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Now this is interesting because I was told right before Chrismas at our local HD that only 'Active Military' are authorized the discount. Hmmm, have to check on it again.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I was always under the impression that it was active duty military, or retired military. There are no differences, as far as the military is concerned on the privileges. However, I have been to other places that only recognize active duty military.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Not sure how the DD214 thing would work. I'm under the impression that (at least in my area) the discount is for active and retired military only... and we are issued photo IDs. I get the discount at BOTH HD and Lowes.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Both Lowes and HD offer discounts to active and retired with ID. Since we have a large retired and active population, most of the cashiers have a military connection and will ask if you are retired.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I was under the impression that ALL veterans got the discount year round. My mistake I guess.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I have a valid pictured ID from the VA. Have gotten the discount just recently at both HD and Lowes. Along with several other places that I never knew about. I have now started asking just about everywhere I go if they provide a discount. Some places I would have never thought I would have gotten and I did. Just ask, they can't say anything more than no I'm sorry we don't and most say thank you for your service.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I went to HD today and got a replacement lite for the montana and used my VA card. also used lowes a few days ago. I always get 10%. I was discharged in 1970 DW has the DD214 put up somewhere I have no idea! I don't think being retired has anything to do with it. I know a VA hosp will make a pic ID thats where I had mine made. JMO
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #13
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:ARJ Posted - Mar 31 2011 : 1:38:07 PM
...I just thought I would pass this on in hopes that someone out there knows how to obtain a card.
As long as you retired from any branch of the military, I would think that you could go to any military installation for an ID card. Call your nearest installation and ask about a new ID card.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
That's a shame that only retired or active service members are given discounts in certain stores. There are many Vets that have been wounded in combat that left the service when their enlistment was up but are not "retired" from the military and again those that were in combat and never wounded who also left the service when their enlistment ended and how many of them do not have a military ID card? Yet some retired members in the military who never saw combat and they are given the discount because they have a military ID Card. Please don't get me wrong...they served their country and made at least 20 yrs of sacrifice of bad pay and never being home, at sea for months at a time etc.. and they deserve the discount just like
any other vet and I thank them for serving. I guess what I am trying to say is that it just doesn't seem fair that there are vets out there that have had it far worse and were in far more dangerous situations than others and because they don't have a military ID they don't receive a discount when they really deserve it more than anyone. The majority of Americans that served this country did not spend 20 years in the military. They were drafted or enlisted, served their time and got out but they served and they deserve something for what they did for their country.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Sky not to beat a dead horse but the thing that hurts me is I am a vet but like you said I did my time and got out but in my travels I can't stay at a military CG. I looked on line and there are some great CGs but you have to be retired,DA,NG, Active mil ETC But not VA. Now please believe me I am proud they will help anybody but I would like to maybe stay at one sometime. Sometimes I guess I just think to much!! sorry guys I don't mean to sound ungrateful I am not.
Bobby
Old 04-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #16
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Bobby - I don't think you're ungreatful..what I think is THAT YOU DESERVE TO GO TO THOSE CG"s... You earned it!!!.a lot of guys like you earned it and deserve it and some day maybe something will be done to make that wish come true. God bless you and thank you for serving.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:22 AM   #17
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I also would like to use the Military CG's. I only served my time, but with a 70% disability rating through the VA I still do not qualify. But, don't get me wrong either. I appreciate everything the VA has done for me, and they have treated me well also. I would also like to have the use of the commissary, but not available either, have to be 100% disabled. But I do appreciate what is given by retailers.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Went to my local Lowes this morning, bought a gallon of paint and asked the clerk if Vets still get a 10% discount and she replied "sure thing" didn't ask for ID or anything. So I saved $2.00 on my purchase.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #19
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Understand the comments regarding vets that served but did not retire, however Uncle Sam has to draw the line somewhere.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #20
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Hooker I sure wish he would draw the line closer to the good old USA. Seems we give away enough that a few more vets could stay at a Mil CG. Hey maybe those folks over seas need it more than we do. JMHO
Bobby