Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2007, 03:37 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Vets

For the story visit: INHOFE LEGISLATION ALLOWS VETERANS TO SALUTE THE FLAG
Here

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I'm glad they had the time to clarify that since I'm a veteran and will proudly salute, although I wish they would spend the time working on doing something more productive.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:40 AM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thanks Ozz.
I just told Don about this. He is a vet. Army.
Emailed the link to son! He is a vet too! Did 10 years in Navy.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:09 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I did not know that you could not.Have always seen vets salute.. (Richfaa Sgt, US army..a very long time ago.) (brown shoe)_
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Rich
can you tell me when they switched to black shoes? Or anyone? Would like to know.
Thanks
Old 08-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was in 1955 to 1958..it was brown shoe and Ike jackets.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
I have been trying not to respond to his but I guess I can''t avoid it. I'm sorry folks but I just can't help but get emotional about "Old Glory". I am a "Vet" from the '70's. Although I did not see the Horrors that my brothers saw, i am 100% true blue AMERICAN and will always honor the American Flag no matter where it is.
I find I am shamed sometimes by OZZ because of his love of the standard. Keep up the course OZZ and thanks for the reminder,,Brother!!!
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:06 AM   #8
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Dustytuu / Rich:
Let's see!! Rich was brown shoed in 1955 to 1958. I was in 1962 to 1966 and it was black shoes then... Soooooo we are getting close to narrowing it down to the year of change...JB..deadeye
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:40 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I was in the Navy from 60 - 64 and the issued dress shoe and boon dockers were BLACK. so there are a few more years knocked off.

Oh and Ozz I glag to see that info does that go for the nation or just that place.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:03 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Brown show refers only to the US Army. The Army went from WW ll and Korean era "brown or khaki uniforms(Ike jackets) which included the Brown shoe to the present day Army Green I think somewhere around late 1958 or so. I mustered out Jan 10th 1958 and never wore or saw a Army Green Uniform or a black shoe.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:44 AM   #11
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
I was in the Army first time from 57 to 59, uniforms changed in 58. Worst about the change was that we had to buy the green class A, said we wouldn't but they took it out of our monthly pay. Really did not have much of a choice. I was stationed in Germany and we sold the old OD and Ike jackets to the villagers. It was good beer money. Kind of comical to go into the small villages and see people going about with a mixture of army uniforms. we called them the lost platoon.
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:54 AM   #12
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
When I went in the Army in June 1958 they issued me a green and a brown uniform. Can't remember which one I was supposed to wear, but I got black shoes.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:10 AM   #13
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
There must have been a stock pile left, when I went in in 68 they issued a pair of black shoes, brown boots and some black die, and a brown rain coat which changed when I returned from Viet nam in 69 to a green coat and then in 72 to a black over coat rain coat. the Kaki went away and the green shirt came in. and the bad thing is every time they change we buy them. and now brown swade boots and brown uniforms..
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:11 AM   #14
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
The issue of vets saluting the flag was initiated by the Association of the US Army (AUSA) several months ago. I believe the president of AUSA, GEN (Ret) Gordon R. Sullivan, made the pitch on behalf of all of us.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:44 PM   #15
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Many of us have given much of oursleves to this wonderful country. Many have given all.
I always thought it was a travesty that we vets were not allowed to salute the symbol of this country which we love so much.
Thanks to the Senator and toThe General for their hard work on our bhalf.

I will alwyas honor my flag and my country in anyway I can.

Sargent US Army 62-65 Aviation 17th Av Company 331st Transport Bn
and 1965 11th Air Assault Division developmental team. Helicopter Asasult and vertical envelopment.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #16
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I just googled this and it is now (as of Jul 26, 2007: Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary); its House equivalent is HR3380 (sponsored by Rep Boren of Oklahoma) which has only been 'introduced to the house'; no votes on it as yet. As a Personnel and Admin Warrant in the US Army I had to be well versed in many of our regulations and laws. Upon assignment to Ft Riley, Kansas back in 1981, one of the first things that I was asked to do was help redraft the post's local regulation on wearing of the uniform off-post and an honors supplement. Our guide ended up being, and I quote again from an article I found on google "Current law (US Code Title 4, Chapter 1) states that veterans and servicemen not in uniform should place their hand over their heart without clarifying whether they can or should salute the flag."

This 'clarification' was there back in 1981 and we wrote into the Ft Riley supplement that off-duty soldiers were to 'stand at attention, placing their right hand over their heart. If wearing a cap or other head covering, males were to remove their head-cover, and they could either hold that in their left hand, or in their right hand placing it over their heart. Female soldiers were not required to remove headgear but were to observe local traditions and decorum as observed by others at the event.' (not a direct quote on this last one, but pretty dang close given how many times I had to quote it during the early years of KSU football where military were provided tickets and then we had to pull duty to ensure no problems -- those were the days . )

The bottom line to all of this is that it is still up in the air. I hope the house gets onto it soon and the President signs it -- I think it reflects a very high standard and the only other thing I wish they'd do is let us smack those who keep on walking and talking during the playing of the National Anthem -- it really gripes me when I see people using that time to 'scurry' up or down the steps at stadiums and theaters while everyone else is honoring our flag, our country, and our past/future.

Off my soap box -- Blessings to all.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:39 PM   #17
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Oh, one more thing -- I'm an Air Force Brat; started wearing uniforms with Civil Air Patrol as soon as I was old enough to join the cadet squadron, the senior squadron as mission pilot and mission observer (So Air Force Blue) up until I joined the active service. My US Army service started in Feb, 1971 (Vietnam) and ended in 1992 (Desert Storm); all black shoe until the very end when we went to the brown suade 'desert boot'; fatigues were green, then to the BDU, and finally the lighter weight BDU (I got out before the newest one, the computer generated pattern that they now wear that looks like a very pixelated digital photo (best I can describe it!); Greens were the 'Greens'; we also had the STARCHED Khakis, then wash-n-wear Khakis, and then greens pants with the light green shirt. Lot of changes in 21 plus years and all but the first issue - all out of my (and every other soldiers) pocket as we had to buy them. Those who got 'clothing allowance' soon found out that it was never enough for the actual replacement. Anyway - More than you probably wanted to know (I do enjoy talking ) but that was another life time ago -- time to get camping (well - tailgating this time of year) Go Cats!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 05:00 AM   #18
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Just to update - I sent an email to one of our House Representatives and got a response back this morning -- basically saying that it is in the Judiciary Committee at this time, no known date when (if) it will come to the house floor but that we (I) could rest assured that he supports it whole heartily. So, we wait and see.

This is one piece of legislation that costs nothing to approve and does a whole lot for our moral and national pride. Come on Congress - get it passed so the President can sign it soonest!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #19
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Don was in the army from 1966 to 1969. He wore black shoes with green uniform. Brown rain coat.
Don can still fit in his dress uniform.
He has saved it. He never throws anything away!!
Old 09-07-2007, 03:18 AM   #20
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
When I returned from Korea in 4/59 I was issued a set of greens and black shoes. I felt that the Army was nuts to spend the money on this because I was getting out upon return to the states but we all know that the services are nuts anyway. I did not pay for the greens.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote