Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2004, 10:31 AM   #1
Montana_1237
Established Member

M.O.C. #1237
keystone sold

Hi everyone, my wife and I were out this weekend looking at 5thwheels and stop in a dealership that sells a popular brand. We told him we were just looking as we have decided on just 3 brands that we are interrested in. The one he showed us is one that we have been looking for a while now, but we did tell him that we are pretty much decided on the Montana. He comes back with " Did you know that Keystone has been sold to Thor" I said no I didn't. Then he said that they will only cover warranty work up to the time when Thor takes full control of the corp. My question is, Does anyone know about this or if its true? I know their is alot of sales people out there that will tell you anything to get your business. I told him that I don't like dealing with people that bring down another business to try and get yours. Does anyone know if what he told me is true? Thanks in advance Tom n Phyllis

Montana_1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 10:55 AM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
From my understanding Keystone is either partly or fully owned by thor, Thor did invest money into keystone a couple of years back and in 2002 or 2003 there was a very small sticker on the back that had the thor name on it. We own a 2004 and the sticker is not there on our unit, when I first seen that sticker on a montana I too had second thoughts about bying a montana, But so far this has been a pretty good unit a I have not seen the poor workmanship in this unit that I have seen in other Thor products.
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
This has been common knowledge for quit some time now. I am under the impression that even though Thor owns Keystone and many other manufactures of RV's that they still operate as they did prior to the purchase. If anyone knows anything different please jump in and correct me.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
This is just a guess, but it sounds like the sales person wanted to sell you something besides a Montana.

Thor bought Keystone in 2002. It was my understanding at the time that the purchase was to only add to their corporate holdings and not to interfere with Keystone's day to day operations or policies.

What you were told does not make sense. Maybe when the Rally people start posting again they will address your question. But Thor buying Keystone is old news and I have not seen any difference in the warranty policies through two units since 2002.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 12:57 PM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
As others have said, Thor bought out Keystone back in 2001 and has honored warranties etc. since then. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Keystone product.

The timeline below is from the Thor Industries website. Interesting site, they even have their annual reports on there you can read.
http://thorindustries.com

Thor Industries, Inc., was founded on August 29, 1980 when they aquired Airstream.
-In 1982 Thor purchased General Coach. They also aquired Thor America from that purchase, they make Citation & Chateau.
-In 1991 Thor acquired Dutchmen.
-In 1992 Thor bought Four Winds International.
-In 1995 Thor bought Komfort and Skamper.
-In 1996 Thor started manufacturing Tahoe and Wanderer.
-In 2001 (11/09/2001) Thor bought Keystone RV.
-In 2003 Thor bought Damon RV.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 01:29 PM   #6
Montana_1237
Established Member

M.O.C. #1237
Thanks for answering my question so fast people, thats amazing that thor owns so much. I never even heard of them until this sale person mention their name. I just want to know that Keystone is not going to let interfere with everyday operation of putting the Montana together and screwing things up. I have seen that all to often when some big corporation move in and takes over, and all of sudden they start cutting corners to make more profit. But they still charge the same or more for the rig to make even more. This is a great site you people are really in know. Thanks again Tom n Phyllis
Old 09-27-2004, 03:06 PM   #7
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Our 03 3280RL has Thor sticker on back under 50 amp plug. It has only been back once for warranty issue (wrong sofa installed at factory). I'm under the impression that Keystone operates as it did before the Thor purchase. That's the same salesman who would tell you that a Toyota will tow it fine!!
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 04:59 PM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yep, sorta old news, I can tell you that Montana is fine and thriving and if you had been here to go on a plant tour (sorry ya all were not able to make it) with the MOC Rally this weekend, you would see how "charged up" the people at Montana are!

On a previous tour that Al and I took this story came up, and if I remember correctly (remember old age is creeping up here) they said Thor gave them a great influx of cash and no interference.

I think I might be reluctant to go back to that salesman, if it were me Tom!

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:11 PM   #9
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
We asked that very question at the factory tour this weekend. We were told that Thor has a hands off approach to Keystone especially as long as Keystone is #1 and #2 in popularity. I guess Thor is smart enough to know, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

Our tour guide told us that the biggest change is that they now buy parts as part of a much bigger organization so they get better prices and a higher priority.

What a wonderful rally and what a nice bunch of people!

snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:42 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Thor has many different faces. This was the manufacturer of the very popular and well built Airsteam trailers. They have bought up various other RV's and opened some branches. Some of their units are high end and others are more toward the low end. We had a Tahoe by Thor and would never buy another. On the other hand it cost 1/2 as much as our Montana. So you get what you pay for. Remember often the money does not rule a company. Investing does not give absolute rights.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:10 AM   #11
Montana_1237
Established Member

M.O.C. #1237
Thanks to every one for answering my post so fast. Sorry about the double post my computer screwed up and I thought I had lost everything but I guess I didn't. I have to admit that I don't know to much about these modern technologies, I swing a hammer for a living. You are all right about the sales guy, I new what he doing right away thats why I told him that I don't like dealing with someone that brings down another to sell theirs. Its to bad too because he does have a really nice product. Its going to be a little while before I get what I want, "THE MONEY FACTER" and my wife can't retire for two more years and the other reason is "MONEY" but I'll make it happen somehow. So for now we will just camp out in our 2000 tent trailer and hope for the best. Thanks again everyone Tom n Phyllis
Old 09-28-2004, 02:52 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Tom, I can tell you that while on the tour the Thor topic came up. The comment was that the president of Thor wrote to the president of Keystone and told him keep up the good work. The president of Keystone faxed back - "just let me run my own show". I concur with what Country Guy said about how charged up the people were at the factory. Not only were they there on Saturday, they were at the rally all Sunday morning as well. I know that quite a few people were on their way to buy a new Montana after the rally. In fact, we ran into some of our new rally friends at Rollin On RV in Schererville buying a new Big Sky. Good luck with figuring a way to afford a Montana. We have only had ours for about six weeks, but it is really a quality unit. And it is funny how similar in outlook Montana folks are. Good people. Hopefully you can join the Montana family and join us at next year's rally.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 05:58 PM   #13
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
After the factory tour and talking with Jeff and Coleman from Montana, I have a new respect for Keystone Montana. I have never heard of any manufacturer so interested and willing to listen to our ideas, complaints, etc. Not only did they listen, but they TOOK NOTES! At the end of the tour, they let us see some prototype models and asked for our opinions and ideas on them. Some of the ideas are straight out of the forums here.

I am more confident in the quality of build of our Montanas and have absolutely no reservations with considering purchasing a Montana when we are ready to trade up.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:59 AM   #14
Montana_1237
Established Member

M.O.C. #1237
Thanks everybody for the reply's, no I won't be going back to that salesperson, my wife and I were just out looking at 5'ers on a saturday and we stop in to see this particular model. We want to make sure that we make right decision because we are looking at a lot of money but by the same token we want the 5'er thats going to make us happy and take us many miles down the road. We really do love the montana 3400RL, I wish I had one today, but I have to work a little longer to come with the up dollars so I feel secure in my decision to buy. I didn't mean to sound negative guys but I never have been one to buy the first pair of shoes I try on. Again thanks to all of you for the help in making the right choice. Tom n Phyllis