Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2004, 08:43 PM   #1
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Frame question

was on the RV.net forum.This guy was bad mouthing Montanas.he said his frame broke in 3 different spots.His Montana was 26 monthes old.And keystone said tough luck its out of warrenty.Aren`t the frames warrented for 5 years?thought I read this some where.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:57 PM   #2
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
This sounds like a case for an airride hitch. Happyrving...
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:57 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Doesn't sound like the Keystone I know, wonder if the guy was abusive to the service reps he called, or did he even call Keystone, maybe he was just talking to the dealer?? Honey gets a lot more results than vinegar when dealing with other human beings that just happen to work at Keystone. Would you like someone swearing at you, screaming bloody murder? Not me. UGH. Service reps know you are upset, concerned, worried and probably mad too, they will work with you, but a little restraint on all sides is a good thing.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 05:38 AM   #4
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
There are lemons for every manufacturer and always those who complain about everything. I visited another forum and on that one as well as RV.net someone complained long and loud about Sunnybrook. Fleetwood always seemed to be the one with the most complaints, but they have good units too. This is our 4th RV (2 Jayco, one Komfort, and now Montana) and we only ever had a problem with one of them.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 05:53 AM   #5
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
We were parked next to a Montana on Prince Edward Island and I talked to the owner of it. He complained about the way his suspension was. The shackles were too long and there were no gussets welded to the frame where the shackles were welded to it and his frame had cracked in a couple places. He made his own repairs by welding angle iron between the shackles and adding gussets. He wanted to look at ours and we found that the shackles were considerably shorter and the "I" beam had the reenforcement at the stress points. Evidently Montana has rectified it. That is also a good reason to try to avoid jack-knife turns if at all possible. Especially if you have LT tires as ours does; They grip the road better than trailer tires.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 01:45 PM   #6
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
We bought our 1999 Montana in 2003. The old Montanas (like ours) were built on 8" frames and were prone to cracks near the shackles. Montana issued a service advisory that I found out about on this forum (I think from Lightningjack) I called Montana they asked for my serial number, checked and found that the upgrade had not been done on mine and sent the parts to the dealer. No charge, no questions, no hassles. You are getting this from me first hand. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. After the factory tour I am even more convinced that Montana stands behind their product. They had customer service techs available to answer questions. I spoke to one for half an hour and he gave me his card with his office number, cell number and email address and told me to call him if I had any problems or questions.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:43 PM   #7
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
Similar story=while we were in Columbia River Gorge RV park a couple came over to our site and asked if they could talk to us about our Big Sky. They had a 2002 Big Sky and had had nothing but problems...bathroom flooring falling out into basement, shower leaks, pipe and plumbing problems and all kinds of exterior problems. They had not dealt with Keystone - only their local dealer and service dept. They were not happy campers. We saw them 2 weeks later in Washington and they had traded in the Big Sky for a 2005 Alpenlite.We wonder if they would have had any luck going to Keystone with their problems. We shared the MOC website info and told them they might find some answers,suggestions or help. Don't know if they ever did.
Maybe Keystone became aware of all the problems with the other year's models and made some changes. Certainly hope so.
#29 fans Chuck and Linda Clements
Posey, CA
04 3670RL Big Sky
04 Chevy 3500 CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison
Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote