Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #21
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
A ferinstance - it's snowing along neighboring I-87 as I type this, temp is right at 32 (went all the way to 35 yesterday), our town has spread so much rock salt on the roads that we can't walk the dogs and the plow jockey has dug gaping our new road along with destroying the curbs. All other local roads have turned white, not from snow but from salt. We should have moved to VA 10 years ago but that state has become a political situation as bad or worse as NY,s. And we live only 18 miles from the state's capital

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:09 AM   #22
colligsmith

M.O.C. #23953
We live in upstate eastern NY and always take the interior route of I-81 and depending on how far south we are going take either I-64 to I-295 to I-95 or I-77 to I-26 to I-95. While this route is longer mileage wise taking I-95 all the way is longer time wise due to congestion and heavy traffic from NYC area until below Richmond / Fredricksburg area in Virginia and not worth the stress and aggravation.

Someone mentioned taking I-88 from Albany NY to Binghamton NY and then I-81 but would only recommend this route if trying to avoid tolls, while the road is being improved the condition of the road is horrendous and will shake both you and the trailer quite a bit. There are some areas in northern PA where I-81 can also be rough but not nearly as bad as I-88.

From I-87 south (NY Thruway) I either take I-84 to I-81 or continue on I-87 to NJ and take I-278 to I-78 to I-81.

Good travels and stay safe.
colligsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:38 AM   #23
Dave H.

M.O.C. #25311
I 81 all the way.
Dave H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:22 AM   #24
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by colligsmith View Post
We live in upstate eastern NY and always take the interior route of I-81 and depending on how far south we are going take either I-64 to I-295 to I-95 or I-77 to I-26 to I-95. While this route is longer mileage wise taking I-95 all the way is longer time wise due to congestion and heavy traffic from NYC area until below Richmond / Fredricksburg area in Virginia and not worth the stress and aggravation.

Someone mentioned taking I-88 from Albany NY to Binghamton NY and then I-81 but would only recommend this route if trying to avoid tolls, while the road is being improved the condition of the road is horrendous and will shake both you and the trailer quite a bit. There are some areas in northern PA where I-81 can also be rough but not nearly as bad as I-88.

From I-87 south (NY Thruway) I either take I-84 to I-81 or continue on I-87 to NJ and take I-278 to I-78 to I-81.

Good travels and stay safe.
I agree with these routes. I hate the BaWash corridor on I95.
I find I-88 less of a problem going south in the fall but heading north in the spring as the frost is leaving the road I-88 can be horrible, I have done trailer damage on that route. I-87 tolls are a killer if you're towing but preferred as we stop overnight near Allentown on I-78.
I have come to prefer taking I-64 over to 95 in Richmond as we will make an overnight at Walnut Hills CG near Staunton VA.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote