Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2021, 12:42 AM   #1
Arkventurer

M.O.C. #26905
2021 3121RL roof issue

I bought a 2021 3121RL in August. I like the looks and layout but I am not impressed with the build quality. This is not my first camper so I realize they will all have issues to repair. I have fixed some cabinets, water leaks in the plumbing and numerous trim pieces that had to be reattached. Unfortunately on my first trip to the roof my little issues became problems. The lap sealant around EVERY roof penetration was cracked and pulling up. The rubber membrane had become detached from the substrate beneath and was stretching from the metal flashing pushing up against it. The metal flashing has also become detached in several areas. How surprised was I to find the interior of my coach soaked after a rainstorm, from water leaking in around a max air fan. I can only assume that the Montana employees who assembled my roof must have been smoking too much dope on that day.

I brought the coach back to the dealer who inspected the damage and sent in a preauthorization request to replace the lap sealant, replace the roof, and fix the leak. Keystone authorized the lap sealant replacement but denied the roof replacement or the roof leak repair stating it was “normal”. The dealer agreed that this was not normal and gave me the Keystone customer service number. I have called numerous times and I am still awaiting an answer. It has been nearly 30 days. I really want to like this camper BUT if you are reading this and thinking about buying one DONT.

Arkventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:59 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Understand your frustration. We have had more issues with our 2015 in terms of quality build, than our three previous Montana units combined. Heavy use of all including six years fulltiming and currently on our 14th Snowbird season in Florida. However there may be light at the end of the tunnel for you. Once I worked thru all the issues, including many I simply repaired myself, at my cost, we have been happy with our rig for the past four years with no issues requiring a dealer visit. Prior to that I was ready to burn the rig to the ground.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:11 AM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Stay on them. Keystone will do the least possible to get you through warranty. Let them fix what they will and test their work even if that means putting up a sprinkler and checking for leaks. The build quality has been poor for several years. Consider an rv repair shop that does not sell rv's. They make a living fixing, not selling. Eventually your trailer will be in a condition it should have been from the factory.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
move up to a higher supervisor. and push to get your rig down to montana service center in goshen.
good luck.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When you are talking to them be very nice. It’s very easy to get upset but it will put the person you are talking to on the defensive. The nicer you can be the more likely you are to get what you are asking for. You need someone on your side.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote