Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
Dgarcia

M.O.C. #27557
Power surge fried some stuff!

Hey all,
Only a month in to fifth wheeling life and purchased a surge protector on amazon. While I was waiting for it to arrive I got a power surge and now my slide, washer /dryer(which smelled like electrical burn when it happened) and leveling jacks don’t work. I tried to disconnect power from the rv park I’m on and run on battery but that is not working either. I assume washer machine probably got mother board fried but I’m curious about slide outs, jacks, and battery power. I found the fuses for jacks and they are intact but I can’t find fuses for slide outs. Any ideas? I have a 2020 Montana high country 362rd
Dgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
First, hopefully you have ordered an EMS from Amazon and not just a surge protector - you need the EMS.

As far as the damage begin at the beginning. You had an AC power surge. That runs all of your AC appliances etc. and powers your converter which augments/charges the batteries for your DC applications.

Check the power cable to make sure it didn't get fried on either end (or the power ped). Check the power panel for thrown breakers (main or others) or any lit 12vdc fuses.

You need a VOM or test lights to see where you do and don't have power (AC or DC). I assume you have unplugged the washer/dryer, if not do so. It could be blown fuses (panel, converter, batteries?) or a fried something somewhere. Power can do some really crazy stuff.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #3
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Silly question, how do you know it was a surge vs say a failure of the invertor / transfer / etc?

It is odd that the 12volt features not working (slides / jacks). Be worth a look to see if they are getting power from the batteries. Does your rig have any power distribution device on the 12 volt side? I'm not aware of one on the Montana's but the new ones could be different.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:11 PM   #4
Dgarcia

M.O.C. #27557
Good questions

Well I’m not 100% sure exactly what happened. I was emptying out my black tank when I heard a crackling/sizzling sound from the power supply from rv park. I ran inside and smelled the electrical burning smell coming from my washer machine. As far as I know everything inside works just fine. I’ve checked the fuses inside and even checked the fuses for my jacks and all are intact. Maybe a dumb question but is it a converter or inventor that could be blown out? I’m not sure where it would be, I’ve looked online at what it looks like and can’t seem to find that anywhere.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:11 PM   #5
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
What was the "power supply" - a transformer? "Everything inside works just fine"? You need to do some trouble shooting. Guessing is a bad idea.

Batteries can power low level power users but when you get to slides etc. that require lots of amps the batteries need to be fully charged and backed up by a fully functioning "converter" (120vac to 12vdc). I have an inverter (12vdc to 120vac) to power my residential fridge.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:18 PM   #6
Dgarcia

M.O.C. #27557

Sorry I’m horrible with technical lingo. I just plugged in to the 50 amp service at an rv park. I guess what I meant with everything inside being fine is that everything is working. I unplugged from the parks power to try and run on battery but nothing worked when I did that. I have been trying to get a mobile rv repair here but not best timing with thanksgiving weekend. I am living in this currently so I’m just trying to do what I can to get thru weekend. I’m handy but not with electricity at all ha...give me a hammer and saw....but don’t ask me to use a voltmeter haha
Old 11-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #7
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgarcia View Post
Sorry I’m horrible with technical lingo. I just plugged in to the 50 amp service at an rv park. I guess what I meant with everything inside being fine is that everything is working. I unplugged from the parks power to try and run on battery but nothing worked when I did that. I have been trying to get a mobile rv repair here but not best timing with thanksgiving weekend. I am living in this currently so I’m just trying to do what I can to get thru weekend. I’m handy but not with electricity at all ha...give me a hammer and saw....but don’t ask me to use a voltmeter haha
Leave the power cord plugged in. Sounds like your battery is dead. I would take it out and have them checked. if you have 2 then take both. Unhook positive post first. If you have 12 volt lights working than the inverter is ok. The slides will work off the inverter. If you go to where the battery is and it smells like rotten eggs than battery is junk. If you have 2 batteries than both are junk. The longer you own a RV the more handy you will need to become. LOL
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:15 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
[QUOTE=Dgarcia;1205176........
I’m handy but not with electricity at all ha...give me a hammer and saw....but don’t ask me to use a voltmeter haha[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately a voltmeter and electrical knowledge is what it is going to take to find the problem area(s). Best wait for the mobile repairman.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical issues, power surge