Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2021, 06:56 AM   #1
JimIrish7
Established Member

M.O.C. #26805
New 2021...281Ck-Disc Brakes & Tires

Picking up new 281Ck next month in Elkhart. It is at the dealer now.
1. Talked to dealer last week and he recommended not to get the disc brakes. Trailer is too light as it is being towed with 2000 Diesel ram2500. Thoughts?
2. Going to upgrade tires given everything I read. Will get Salian tires and will ask the dealer to do that? Not sure if he does that but safety is key for my wife and I.
Thoughts?

Thank you.

JimIrish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:23 AM   #2
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Correct on both! Probably no need to upgrade brakes on it. Make sure it comes with Sailuns or have them put on.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
mUSt bE spECial

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIrish7 View Post
1. Talked to dealer last week and he recommended not to get the disc brakes. Trailer is too light as it is being towed with 2000 Diesel ram2500. Thoughts?
2. Going to upgrade tires given everything I read. Will get Salian tires and will ask the dealer to do that? Not sure if he does that but safety is key for my wife and I.
Thoughts?

Thank you.
# 2 good

#1 Look up The thread "Disk Brakes ....WOW" on this forum board and read the entire thread then decide or wait for the first panic stop because of the the pinheads in their roller skate cars doing stupid things in front of you. You`ll change your mind.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:38 AM   #4
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Thoughts?

Thank you.
Congrats on the new rig!
I'm not sure why the dealer would recommend #1. The trailer is not "too light" - it has a GVWR of over 14,000lbs! Our last 5th wheel was about 13000lbs all up and there were many times I wished for disc brakes. It was one of the first things I was looking for as I went to a Montana.

Also, disc brakes are used on all sizes of trailers and vehicles including the smallest vehicles and even motorcycles out there and is a superior system, no debate. Discs have far better stopping power and easier maintenance.

Now, whether he was saying it may not be worth the money? I suppose that is subjective and up to you. But it sounds like you are deciding to have them changed after market? If so, maybe you should discuss with an RV trailer and suspension shop, or even with Montana themselves for further advice. I understand that MORryde is in Elkhart and that they do disc brakes as well as other suspension upgrades, so it may be good to discuss with them.

I hope you get your rig soon!

Brad
Old 01-10-2021, 07:42 AM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Too light for Disk Brakes is like saying that a 150/1500 Truck is too light for Disk Brakes. Does any body want to go back to the days of only Drum Brakes??
I had the MORryde IS and Disk Brakes installed on our 2010 Montana 2955RL, probably one of the smallest and lightest of the Montanas and again Disk Brakes WOW.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:53 AM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Jim,

I do not believe disk brakes are an option on High Countries. To my knowledge, Montana only puts disk brakes on Legacy model Montanas.

Disk brakes will need to be installed aftermarket and they are a great addition to your rig. Your rig is not too light for disk brakes.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:02 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Thoughts?

Thank you.
Let me preface this by saying I am still running drum brakes on my 5'er. To compensate for the drum brakes I somewhat alter my driving habits.
Your dealer is more interested in selling the unit than stopping it. His recommendation may be one of the dumbest claims I have heard a salesperson make.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:40 AM   #8
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
Let me preface this by saying I am still running drum brakes on my 5'er. To compensate for the drum brakes I somewhat alter my driving habits.
Your dealer is more interested in selling the unit than stopping it. His recommendation may be one of the dumbest claims I have heard a salesperson make.
I think many have no idea whatsoever how effective disc brakes are on a fifth wheel . Like you over the years i have definitely altered my driving on previous fifth wheels when towing. One would be foolish not to do so, you just can't stop as fast. My present fifth wheel has disc brakes ,and upgraded suspension, and the difference is unbelievable . Although I still tow with the same caution , I know that I can get stopped much quicker . In all honesty as far as stopping goes ,I can't tell the difference between towing ,and not as far as getting stopped. Between the exhaust brake of a Cummins ,and the disc brakes on a fifth wheel it makes for a nice towing experience.

To the OP ,not sure why the dealer would say your fifth wheel is too light, but I would sure recommend to anyone towing a fifth wheel to upgrade to disc brakes.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:43 AM   #9
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
Do you NEED disk brakes....absolutely not. But I believe disk brakes are safer than drums. I made a 4500 mile round trip to Texas in late October to buy a used 2014 3402RL from a MOC member because he had independent suspension and disk brakes installed by Morryade. I didn't need disk brakes but wanted them for added safety i believe they provide for the mountain driving I will be doing in the PNW. Good luck with the new trailer.
2020 RAM 3500 Mega, Dually, 4:10, HO CTD, Aisin.
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:55 AM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Your new rig comes with the heavier tube axles and I believe it also may have heavier springs, but not sure with the 6,000 lb axles. I would contact Performance Trailer Braking to discuss upgrading to discs. They have the package for the 6,000 axles and installers all over the country that will come to you and install the system. After having our rig upgraded to discs, I will never have another rig without them, regardless of what any salesman says.
https://performancetrailerbraking.com/disc-brakes (405) 626-7009
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:48 PM   #11
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
On a maintenance stand point alone, the discs seem like the right way to go. Why trailers in this day and age come with drums is beyond me. Congratulations on getting the new trailer.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:28 AM   #12
JimIrish7
Established Member

M.O.C. #26805
Thank you

I have learned a lot from this site. Greatly appreciate all the comments.Will go get the disc brakes. Also, will put new tires on it before I pick it up and drive it home to Atlanta.
JimIrish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:53 AM   #13
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:

Thoughts?

Thank you.
Yes, do not listen to the dealer about anything else they say either. Most likely it will be wrong also.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:08 AM   #14
riflegunbuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23386
I have a 3855. Disc brakes are great.
riflegunbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #15
bigfrank
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12319
I did the disc brake upgrade on my 2012 3455sa last spring of course have only made two trips since due to vivid but will never not have them . Performance Brake did mine

Bigfrank
bigfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:55 PM   #16
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Our 2019 3811MS has the Legacy Package, which includes the disc brakes. After having them on this trailer, anything else is anemic at best. In the future, any trailer that I own with brakes on it will have discs. The difference is amazing. No such thing as too light. The size of the brakes is proportional to the rating of the axles, which is proportional to the weight rating of the trailer.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:40 PM   #17
Chiefcpo
Established Member

M.O.C. #12110
Why would you ever want DISK BREAKS???? Why did NASCAR go with them???
In the information I have read , JUST WAIT till drum breaks fade out /burn up your bearing going down a mountain and you will have the only answer you need IF you live after your butt gets out of your throat or the wife lets you live for another day.
Chiefcpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #18
MoblieHilton

M.O.C. #23902
Disk Brakes

I would go with disk breaks and will not own another rig without them!! I switched to them myself about a year ago and what a difference in stopping power!! After a couple close calls with panic stops it was a easy decision to pony up to the extra cost to remove that pucker factor in hard breaking situations.. I did the swap out myself and used StopMyTrailer.com, they were very helpful in make the right choice for my rig a 3791 RD with 7000lb Hubs.. I ended up upgrading to 8000lb hubs just for the extra durability not extra weight carrying capacity.. You can do this job yourself, if you know how to do breaks of any kind you can do this job, the hardest part was running the break lines and the wiring to the controller.. Took me about day and half and cost about $2000 total and most shops charge close to $6000 for the same job..
MoblieHilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:04 PM   #19
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Thoughts?

Thank you.
The disc brakes are a night and day difference.
My concern with your set up would be your tow rig. Without looking it up, I seriously doubt your 21 year old 3/4 ton truck is anywhere near legally capable of handling that trailer. It WILL have a pin weight north of 2860lbs, witch I am sure is WELL beyond your payload capacity.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote