Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2005, 07:43 AM   #1
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Costs in Texas

This is a question for all those Texans on MOC. What are the license fees for your truck and trailer in Texas? Is there any personal property tax on the truck and trailer? What is the cost for insurance for the truck and trailer? Is there a state income tax in Texas? Just need some ballpark numbers. Getting close to renewal time here in Washington, but may want to switch our residence to Texas.

Dennis

Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:22 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Dennis,

The cost information you seek is variable. The cost of plates on my truck is about $60.00 per annum. Haven't paid my RV yet. Insurance will vary depending which county you claim as domicile. Harris County (where I live) is the highest in the state. When I change my domicile to Livingston,TX, it will drop about a third to half.

Escapees.com has a virtual booklet on becoming a Texan which has a listing of the taxes and fees associated with living in that county. As for insurance rates, you can request a quote from your carrier for the county you are contemplating establishing as your domicile.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:24 AM   #3
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Dennis,
In New Braunfels, Texas which is in Comal county, cost to register our 2955RL is $91.15. The truck a 2001 Ford F-250 is about $74.00.
NO state income tax and no property tax. Truck insurance is tied in with our home insurance via Travelers / and a County mutual. The 5er is insured with Progressive. Could have got it cheaper with Travelers but they did not offer the 5 year full replacement which I did want. Insurance on the 5er is about $500. per year.
I plan on checking insurance with Nationalinterstate.com when it is time to renew...they have a disappearing deductible, total loss replacement, personal effect coverage and campsite liability.
Come on down, we will be glad to have you!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:43 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
There's also a state safety inspection fee/sticker for the Monty (brakes, lights, etc) - don't remember how much, but not very expensive.

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:30 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
It's been here for a week and I don't know how I missed this post.
Lorraine and I are considering joining Escapees and becoming Texans and this post will hopefully help us in that decision.

Are the registration fees different from county to county?
Is the state safety inspection a yearly requiremnet?

Guess I'll take Stiles n Dianna's advice and take a closer look at Escapees.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:39 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Glenn, the registration fees are set statewide (based on weight, not cost), but there is an option by which the counties can add (I think $5 maybe $10). Whatever that added amount, it is the same statewide [that means the county can add no more, only that amount.] I think my registration for the 2955 was $88.10 and for the pickup $68.80. I could be wrong about that, but certainly in this ball park.

The inspection sticker is for the tow vehicle, (and for all automobiles, pickups, etc.) It is annual, but costs in the $10 range (I think). I'm a bit uncertain, because you pay that fee to the inspection station which is an ordinary garage, dealership, etc. which is liscensed by the state for this purpose.

I pay no other taxes on the RV or auto/pickup.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote