Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2004, 04:48 PM   #1
Ken Wiseman
Established Member

M.O.C. #1229
Send a message via Yahoo to Ken Wiseman
Vonage for combining phone and internet

Several threads have discussed adding high speed internet via 2 way satellite (directway). We have cable internet at home, where we recently added Vonage phone service. This gives you standard dialtone (thus the ability to connection standard phone handsets) over the internet. Once you have a Vonage account, you have phone service without using your local phone service provider (SBC in our case). With number portablility, we moved our local number to the Vonage account without a problem. No one calling us has noticed any difference in the way they call us. We have reduced our monthly phone bill to a nice low flat $16 for both local and longdistance (with all of the must have services - voice mail, call id, 3 way etc.) from over $50 with SBC. PLUS our home phone is portable - which brings me to my question. Our home works anywhere there is high speed internet ie directway. Is anyone using vonage and directway?

Ken Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 08:50 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Ken,
I've done a lot of research on the DirectWay and understand that there is some small delay in using voice connection via the satellite. It is referred to as latency. And while annoying it is usable. This is all from just reading.... I have NO first hand experience with Voice over internet via DirectWay. I have used the computer to make connections via Ham Radio and there is some of the same problem associated with it.

There is a really good discussion group on the Escapees forum regarding these kinds of issues. If you haven't already checked over there then I'd suggest that. Some very nice folks over there.

I like that nice flat rate of $16! Let us know how this process goes for you. I really want to get the portable DirectWay system.

Good luck, HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:06 PM   #3
Ken Wiseman
Established Member

M.O.C. #1229
Yes, latency is exactly what I am worried about with Directway. My standard cable internet works great for phone - but I would like to hear of some first hand experience with the latency issue. The signal must go 22,000 miles each way to reach me and my sat dish - that will probably take a few extra milliseconds. Also the reduced up link bandwidth is also an issue - or at least maybe an issue.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:12 AM   #4
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
The delay is annoying. You can't have a normal conversation. You almost have to make a short speech....then wait for the answer. If you watch news reports direct from Iraq, you'll see it demonstrated. The news anchor asks a question, then you see the reporter stand there for a few seconds before he answers. That's how it works.

Saying all that, remote areas in Canada only have phone via satellite and although annoying it works fine. We just train our people to build the pauses into the conversation. But then, we have no alternative....
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:36 AM   #5
Montana_2265

M.O.C. #2265
HI Ken...we are not using vonage but VoIP from TampaBayDSL through my office.....i use a wireless sip phone from cisco and works well with any wireless broadband connection....many hot spots are available so we do not have to pay the high rates some resorts charge...this is the way of the future...check them out at www.tampabaydsl.com

Jim and Joanne

Montana_2265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:33 PM   #6
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I ordered my Vonage package a couple of days ago. It should be here on Monday. Several friends use the service and are happy with it. I too am planning on using it with satellite internet when we go fulltime. I'm hoping the latency won't be a big issue as it looks like an 8th of a second up and an 8th of a second back. We talk so slowly here in the south maybe we won't even notice.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #7
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Well, the Vonage package came today. It was a simple installation. I just copied all the settings from the existing Linksys Router to the new Linksys Router provided by Vonage. (The new one has two phone jacks.) I connected it to my cable modem and plugged all the ethernet cables back in. Connected the phone1 connector on the router to a wall jack in the house and immediately had phone service over the internet (VoIP) at every phone. (NOTE: Make sure you have unplgged the telco connection on the outside of your home.) This is too cool and too cheap. The government is going to have to find some way to mess this up. Anyway, when we go fulltime I'll just sign up with a satellite internet comapany and take it with me.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:06 AM   #8
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
I am going to keep a close eye on this thread. I'm very interested. Our phone bill is high and if it's something that would work well on the road, well heck, I'm in.

Thank you for sharing your information.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:17 PM   #9
Montana_2821
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2821
I'm interested in hearing any Vontage experiences with Directway.
Montana_2821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:29 PM   #10
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Bill and Jeanne,

You may want to check http://www.datastormusers.com. Look through the threads for Vonage and VoIP. Some seem to say it works reasonably well and some gave up because they didn't want to take the time to refine their network settings. Anyway, there is a little latency but some said it wasn't very noticeable. the trip to the satellite and back requires 1/2 second or so.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:52 PM   #11
Ken Wiseman
Established Member

M.O.C. #1229
This is a vonage-datastorm update. We are in Quartzsite and have had the Motosat Datastorm dish installed on our Monty's roof. This took nearly a day including the 3 lnb Direct TV system. I brought my Vonage box (Linksys wireless router with voice) ready to plug into the Directway. All is well with the internet, wifi (via the router) and hi def TV via satellite. Although I have not had much time in the last day to do alot of touble shooting, the voip phone seems to suffer from the internet latency issue. The phone rings, but there is no one on the line (caller id shows up however or we get a busy signal when dialing our own cell phone (which we know is not busy). We have yet to be able to make a call to even test the latency issue.

The Vongage Voip system worked fine with the same router and our cable connection at home so I am confident that the only issue is the satellite internet. I will be turning down the connection quality to accommodate the slow upload speed as a first step.

Give me a call at 815/577-7234 if you'd like to hear this connection for your self!

kw